Any SCUBA Divers on TGO?

Since "People of the Gun" (quote courtesy of a post on TTAG earlier today) tend to have expensive hobbies beyond just firearms, I figured I'd ask: who on here is a SCUBA diver?

I would not be surprised to find that we have more than a handful...if you've never tried it, put it on your list. It gives you the ability to go to another world without space travel. The freedom is incredible, since once you're under you can move easily in all 3 axes, the underwater world is beautiful, and you'll almost always see something you've never seen before. There is no better place, to me, than 80' down in warm Caribbean water on a reef teeming with every creature imaginable. I'll put that to the test next month in the cold waters off San Diego, and I'll bet that the experience there will be excellent as well, albeit colder.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was certified when I lived in California. Not sure if I'm still certified to dive (Lost my ID) -- But I truly enjoyed doing it.

May one day get certified again, but as you stated ... Its a fairly expensive hobby to have :)

Guest nysos

I did the PADI try scuba course thing. They put you through the basics enough to dive for 35 feet in a small group. I absolutely loved it and would have gotten certified in a heartbeat if there was better diving close by without too much travel. Probably will get certified in the future when I have the time/money to travel for some dives.

I got my NAUI certification while deployed to Haiti during UNMIH under the 101st. Our encampment medical officer was a master diver and instructor for NAUI. He certified us at the local hotel for the cruise ships in Cap-Haitien that had equipment for tourists to use. I loved it so much I dove nonstop after being ordered to Wheeler AAF in Hawaii for second reup. Loved it so much after three years of diving there lead me to ETS and become a certified commercial diver (ultrasonic, magnetic particle and dye-penetrant inspection of underwater structure specialty). Graduated from school ten years ago ready to dive and haven't been in the water since. Sometimes life takes a funny turn when you're not looking. I wouldn't change a thing, except I wish I could dive again. I've got all the gear, just no time.

The next time I get wet, it will be here : http://www.2dive.com/btm.htm

If you EVER have the chance to do it, DO IT! There is no explaining how awesome it is.

I love to dive. I got certified through NASDS like DaddyO. I did a lot of diving in the 80's and got my Expert dive cert.

Those are some great pics, DaddyO. I love diving Grand Cayman. The North Wall was a great dive. I think my favorite dive was a night dive in George Town harbor. Lot of phosphorus in the water. Very cool.

Guest drv2fst

I have been several times in Turks & Caicos and it's fantastic there, spectacularly clear water and plenty of tropical stuff to see.

I also went at Myrtle Beach and it was barely worth the effort, with low visibility and not much to see anyway.

Destin is pretty good with great visibility and some interesting stuff to see.

Florida is cool, but you can spend nearly the same $ to do a full week in the Philippines. Plane ticket is usually (really rough) $1300, but you can get 2 story penthouse suite on the ocean with free massages, food, hot tub inside the room etc.. for about $90-$100/night. 3 day dives in the touristy places run $100-$500 depending on where they are and if you do a private one or go with a group. We had a full day out with a private guide and a couple of workers, just me and the wife for $200 including the equipment.

Not sure if they have any wrecks to check out, but hell, we just love being around the coral and some of those funky looking fish.

So I guessed correctly on having some divers around. I've only gotten to PADI advanced, but I also tacked on my NITROX and I can't recommend it highly enough. More bottom time, shorter surface intervals, and waaaayyy less post-dive fatigue, especially on those days when you get down 3 or 4 times.

Also, Bonaire. Go there at least once. Fantastic reefs accessible from shore, no crowds, friendly locals (almost entirely Dutch expats), and not nearly as skeevy as other Caribbean locales. It's the only dive location I've been to where nobody tried to sell me drugs or women.

Guest brighac

I used to live in FL, got PADI certified, have all my own equipment, went once in the keys, haven't been in a couple years, but will be going in jamaica in october... planning on a trip?

I'm a NASDS certified Master diver but haven't had a chance to go diving during the last few years. The Florida Keys are some of the best diving I've experienced. If you get a chance, Black Beard Cruises are great!

I used to live in FL, got PADI certified, have all my own equipment, went once in the keys, haven't been in a couple years, but will be going in jamaica in october... planning on a trip?

Looks like San Diego in October...the water is going to be c-c-c-cold, but I've been told that Wreck Alley, La Jolla Canyon, and Coronado Island are absolutely worth it.