Ultralight fishing

• Admin Team

So I'm thinking about putting together a quality ultralight rig. As I look at most of the fishing I've done in the last few years, there are very few instances where ultralight tackle wouldn't have been adequate.

The event that finally pushed me over the edge was fishing in the Gulf a couple of weeks ago. I took two rods with me, my big surf rod with a Penn 650SSG and a cheap lightweight spinning rig. For most of the week, the surf was not good for surfing or fishing from my paddleboard. So, one afternoon I was fishing one of the coastal lakes with my spinning rig without much luck. I decided to take the tackle into the ocean and simply waded out to about chest deep. For the next couple of hours, and for the rest of the week I killed it with the lightweight rig. Mackerel, ladyfish, sea trout, even a small shark. What's more, the lightweight rig made landing these fish challenging and a lot of fun. Frankly, I can't remember the last time I had as much fun fishing.

So, I'm thinking of putting together a small saltwater capable ultralight rig. Problem is, while I've always bought quality fly fishing tackle, my spinning rigs and baitcasters have always generally been whatever was on sale at the sporting goods store.

I know we've got a lot of people who fish, and I expect we've got some folks who have more fishing stuff than they've got gun stuff (though you don't need to admit that publicly :) ). So, if you we're spec'ing new tackle what would you consider?

For perspective, I am not opposed to spending a couple hundred bucks if it's quality equipment and will last several years.

If I had to buy today, I'd go with the following:

1. St. Croix Avid series two piece rod - 5.5 or 6 ft.. They're a little more expensive, but I know their quality from having used their fly rods, and they've got a lifetime, no questions asked guarantee. I've fished enough to break my share of rods, and like that feature.

2. Shimano Stradic CI4 1000 reel. Bearings are sealed, and good to go in saltwater. Carbon fiber doesn't present a corrosion issue, and it's good for 150m of 4 or 6lb. PowerPro or similar braided line.

What would you guys go with? What do you fish with?

Edited by MacGyver
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure on the salt water reel but Shimano reels are awesome. I have had the same reel now for 15 or so years and it still works great. If they make an ugly stick for salt water you may look into one of them. They are pretty tough rods and cost less than most.

Edited by Hunting101

Not sure on the salt water reel but Shimano reels are awesome. I have had the same reel now for 15 or so years and it still works great. If they make an ugly stick for salt water you may look into one of them. They are pretty tough rods and cost less than most.

I'll second this! My current ultralight rig is a Shimano and an Ugly Stick and they're tough - damn near impossible, actually - to beat - especially if you coat or wrap and coat the base of the top eyelet (where it connects to the rod) so that slack line won't get fouled or hung on it (happens quite frequently using 4X braided dacron - mono may not be as bad, but I fish for trout quite a bit and need the extra "lack of visibility" that dacron gives me).

On the other hand, my "ultra" ultralight rig is a dandy little "backpackable" fly/spin combo from Crystal River that Santa brought me a few years back. I wouldn't trust it on anything more than a few pounds, but it's great for back country Brookies and farm pond bream and has the added benefit of taking down into a 16X8X21/2" padded case with belt loops.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

...TS...

Guest PapaB

For where you want to fish, I'd look at 6.5 to 7 ft. rods. 5.5 to 6 ft. are okay for creeks and small waters but won't cast far enough. Some conditions require longer casts so get the longer rods, they'll still do short casts when needed. Your choice of brands is excellent. In the Avid series consider the AIS70LM.

You might also consider having one custom made.

Edited by PapaB

Check out the Ugly Stick intercostal series. I have an ultralight rod i used in south Florida and it held up great. I'd say look for the longest ultralight you can find. Te problem is that most are under 6 foot poles. I like a 7' in the ocean.

My two ultralight rigs are both abu garcias, in fact the vast majority of my rods and reels are abu garcia, I seem to have less issues with them than I have with other brands that I have owned, so I tended to stick with what I know works when buying tackle.

In fact just recently I strayed and bought a heavy action Berkley rod/reel for cat/buffalo fishing and the damn crank broke off in my hand while cranking in a (guestimating here) 40ish lb cat, I was quite dissappointed considering that upon inspection the "pot metal" that the crank's shaft is supposed to be held in place by just broke apart.

Granted I dialed out the drag, leaned really hard and was cranking with authority, trying to keep the cat from going under a large half-sunken fallen tree, which of course I would have lost him for sure under, but still the line should have snapped long before the damn crank broke off!

e1f1dc24.jpg

This one was caught on a shimano symetre, its a fresh water reel but they have served me just as well in salt water.

Shimano is my reel of choice. Profile pic was caught on a Spheros. That reel has held up to some major abuse and fought some nice redfish and sharks. My second pick for a reel would be the Penn Slammer.

For the Rod, I like St. Croix, but I would pick at least a 6.5 to 7.5' rod for casting plugs and spoons on windy days. For the money its hard to beat the shimano brand rods. I have a crutial and a compre. I like the medium heavy with fast tips. Seem a good mix for soaking bait and slinging spooks and gotchas.

Check out tackle direct online.

Edited by Troutburger
  • Admin Team

Those are some nice fish, Troutburger!

I'll definitely follow the ultralight build with a good quality med/heavy build. As I've been thinking it through, I've decided to build everything saltwater capable and then not have to worry about it in freshwater. That may sound like overkill, but realistically, I probably do at least half of my fishing in saltwater and brackish coastal lakes.

Grew up on the river fishin' small mouth. We never used anything heavier that about 10lb test. Mostly 6lb. I've landed some large fish on light line. You just gotta get that rod up! Been a long time but my father had rods made by a guy in shelbyville on GLoomis blanks and I can't remember the spinning reel brand. Maybe that's where my lead poisoning began because we cast our own jigs. Jig w/ a rubber grub or live crawfish from the creek. Go to Dale Hollow and get your shoulder dislocated! Love the SmallJaw

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Riverrat

I've got a picture of a 42# Asain carp somewhere on this computer. When I find it, I'll post it. When grilled on the half shell it was better than tuna. But some stupid TN rule says we can't keep them. While I was in nam my company had their fill of fresh fish.