S&W 15-3

ironsniper1

My grandfather just got this back from his brother who has had it since I was a kid, my grandfather got this when the 70's when working for the federal reserve here in downtown Nashville, and when they switched to 357 mag they let the guards buy their old revolvers back for 75 dollars not bad if you ask me. Anyway it's in great shape with some holster wear but it does not look like its been fired in a long while but he is going to get it checked and he is going to clean it then we will take it to the range and have some fun, it does have a heavy trigger pull though but I can't wait. This picture is not of his but what it looks

Edit forgot to ask, my grandfather wants to get his carry permit and I'm just wondering since he is retired air force and a retired guard from the reserve does he have to take the test?

likeae312f95-ef00-7370.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by luke9511
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Model 15 were nice weapons. A lot of PD’s, military units, and security companies used them instead of 19’s because they didn’t want Officers carrying .357mag. They were the issued weapon when I was in the Air National Guard.

They make solid competition guns.

http://www.tn.gov/sa...unfaqs.shtml#q8

How Do I Obtain Military Training Exception for the eight hour handgun training course required by TCA 39-17-1351?

The Department of Safety and Homeland Security is mandated to require applicants to submit proof of the successful completion of a department approved handgun safety course. An applicant is not required to comply with the firing range and classroom requirements if within five (5) years from the date of handgun carry permit application the applicant successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military.

There have been many interpretations of this statute over the last several years. Letters have been submitted from commanding officers, DD-214 forms, military ID cards, Honorable Discharges and General Discharges as verification of training.

On March 4, 2011 this process was clarified with the standardized usage of the Department of Defense form (DD-2586) to document handgun training of not less than four (4) hours. At that time we were informed that all branches of service completed a standard verification of military experience and training on the DD-2586.

The movement of the United States Coast Guard from the Department of Defense to the Department of Homeland Security altered this procedure. The Coast Guard utilizes a U.S. Department of Homeland Security, CG-3029 to capture handgun training.

The CG-3029 and the DD-2586 are the only documents acceptable for obtaining military exception to TCA 39-17-1351. Samples of both documents and instructions are available on this website.

T.C.A. 39-17-1351 (e) (3) - An applicant is not required to complete a department approved handgun safety course if, within five (5) years from the date of application, the applicant successfully completed the firearms training course required for armed security guard/officer registration, pursuant to 62-35-118(.

To obtain this exception a copy of the armed registration card or certificate (IN-1313) issued by the Department of Commerce & Insurance must be presented with the application. A Certificate of Successful Completion of Guard Training (IN-1144) is unacceptable.

I'm a big fan of the S&W M-15, in fact I have an ex-LEA M-15-3 in my gunsafe and owned another year's ago as well. As to the heavy trigger pull in your grandfather's revolver it's very likely going to be a very dry and dirty internal action group. I've already encountered this in several older S&W revolver's from the 50's, 60's and 70's. A complete disassembly, cleaning and lubrication has worked wonder's in all of them.

Model 15 were nice weapons. A lot of PD’s, military units, and security companies used them instead of 19’s because they didn’t want Officers carrying .357mag. They were the issued weapon when I was in the Air National Guard.

They make solid competition guns.

http://www.tn.gov/sa...unfaqs.shtml#q8

thanks for that it as been many years since he retired does that matter at all?

I like it it feels really good in my hand, a bit heavy but not like I can't get used to it, can't wait to get to fire it!

fullsize .38's are ridiculously gentle pistols to shoot. get some good wadcutters and tear out some quarter sized holes all day long with it!