Shipping a handgun

Guest Bowdenknxvll

Guest Bowdenknxvll

I was wondering what the best way to ship a handgun out of state was. Ive never shipped before tand want to make sure I do it correctly. Are there any ffl holders around knoxville that will do it or do I need to take it to the ups hub? How much are we talking to ship? Thanks guys

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering what the best way to ship a handgun out of state was. Ive never shipped before tand want to make sure I do it correctly. Are there any ffl holders around knoxville that will do it or do I need to take it to the ups hub? How much are we talking to ship? Thanks guys

You can ship it.

- Can't use USPS

- Can use UPS or FedEX. You'll to take it to a UPS hub, not a UPS store. Think same is true for FedEx, (no FedEx Office) but not positive about that.

- Federal law requires that if it's not going to an FFL, you must declare it. UPS and FedEx terms of service require you to declare it in all cases. Neither will ship to an out of state address unless it's to a licensee, and you may have to show FFL info (FFL number) if it's not a known company, depending on the clerk. If you have UPS or FedEx account, and can generate your own label, you can drop it at UPS Store or FedEx Office, but generally only by violating their TOS and not informing contents.

- Both carriers also require handguns to go overnight. The cheapest overnight service starts at about $25, longer the distance, more the bux. Metro areas will usually have 3 levels of overnight, smaller areas just one or two (the most expensive ones). This is not by federal law. If you send another class and gun disappears or is damaged, they won't honor your claim due to TOS violation.

Also note that any given clerk may give you a big hassle due to poor knowledge or training, regardless of federal law or the company's own TOS. Shipping a gun intrastate is often problematic, even though it's fine with federal law and UPS's own TOS, for example.

Note that all the above, even though not in TOS, seems to be waived if you have FFL's call tag. Drivers will generally even pick them up. I used to have some handed to me on route with FedEx Ground, and I'd take them (long guns only with Ground).

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

a good ffl / dealer can ship it for less, and some will do so --- it rides their slower and cheaper route, everyone wins (they get a lil money, you still ship cheaper, or they get your business later on, youll be back if they are nice) etc.

a good ffl / dealer can ship it for less, and some will do so --- it rides their slower and cheaper route, everyone wins (they get a lil money, you still ship cheaper, or they get your business later on, youll be back if they are nice) etc.

We're assuming OP's trying to send to a licensee?, If so sure, it's definitely an option, if you can get one to hassle with it. I think they have to go to trouble of logging the gun in and out and etc. I'll bet that Bill's Outpost in Maryville would be a likely choice for best deal.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Hmm I am not sure. When I had it done it was to send guns in for repairs, and it saved me a ton, and it was thru the place I had bought it at. I do not think they had to log it in, they never "possessed" it. You are right it would be different for a trade.

Guest twpayne75

Hmm I am not sure. When I had it done it was to send guns in for repairs, and it saved me a ton, and it was thru the place I had bought it at. I do not think they had to log it in, they never "possessed" it. You are right it would be different for a trade.

They don't have to log it in. If willing to they can ship USPS Priority Flat Rate. My LGS ships everything for me and only charges me actual shipping charges. They usually use UPS because they will come to them and pick it up. How much it costs depends on the insured amount. Something cheaper like a Glock usually runs aound $20. Last more expensive gun I shipped was an FN Five-seven and I think it was about $40 with a $1000 worth of insurance.