American Silencer Association Calls for O’Reilly Retraction

Guest Shep Stoner308

Guest Shep Stoner308

Not Doing your Homework Mr. O'Reilly makes you a PINHEAD! Shep

American Silencer Association Calls for O’Reilly Retraction

Posted by Tactical-Life. Author Archive »

433px-bill_oreilly_at_the_world_affairs_council_of_philadelphia_cropped.jpg

The American Silencer Association (ASA) asks that Bill O’Reilly immediately retract the factual inaccuracies of current firearm regulations that he used as supporting evidence during his July 24 debate with Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT). The debate, which focused on the validity of additional gun control measures in response to the tragic events in Aurora, CO, found O’Reilly calling for stricter oversight of the firearms transfer process. While the ASA does not take issue with O’Reilly’s personal opinions, the consistent use of unsubstantiated evidence is inexcusable and in need of retraction.

First, the term ‘heavy weapons’ which O’Reilly defines as ‘mortars, howitzers and machineguns’, is a fabricated term that requires additional clarification. These three items are defined and strictly regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934, which falls under the jurisdiction of the BATFE. Under the NFA, mortars and howitzers are considered ‘destructive devices’ because they fire projectiles through a barrel which is larger than one-half inch in diameter.[1] ‘Machineguns’ are defined as “any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.â€[2] In addition to machineguns and destructive devices, the NFA also regulates suppressors, short-barrel rifles, short-barrel shotguns, and “any-other weaponsâ€.[3]

Mr. O’Reilly goes on to state that “you can buy a machine gun and the FBI doesn’t knowâ€, reiterating his point by claiming that at gun shows “you can buy any weapon you want there and there’s no reporting anywhereâ€. These statements are holistically and unequivocally untrue. In order for a civilian to purchase any item that is regulated by the NFA, the item must be legal in their state of residence, and they must submit Form 4s to the ATF. A Form 4, or Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm, includes a stringent background check that is conducted by the FBI. In addition, applicants must submit a $200 non-refundable transfer tax, duplicate copies of passport photos and fingerprints, and receive a signoff from a chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) in their jurisdiction.[4] From start to finish, this transfer process takes anywhere from 30 days to one year to complete. Additionally, civilians are only eligible to purchase machineguns that were manufactured and registered with the ATF prior to May 19, 1986, the day that President Reagan signed the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act into law.

Read more at The Shooting Wire

http://www.tactical-...lly-retraction/

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Shep Stoner308

Most of us know what the definitions, laws and regulations are of firearms, especially in Tennessee. So we have the ability to see the BS factor in his comments. But just think of all the other things that he says that some of us may be unaware of, gives me pause to think that most of his rants are just uninformed inflammatory stir the pot Crapola. BTW, I stopped watching FOX last year after Herman Cain was run out of town. To be honest I do not watch network cable news anymore, local news sure to get stuff in my area, but the syndicated cable networks all have #### they are pushing, and I am not buying it anymore. Besides, how many freaking commercials can a person listen to anyway before their head explodes?!?

This is actually pretty common with all these idiot talking heads who get paid to fill air time by flapping their gums, often about subjects which they have no clue of actual facts. I hear local radio hosts Ralph Bristol and Phil Valentine doing the very same thing on a very regular basis.

They speak with such authority about every subject, but obviously only know what they hear or read from some other morons who finds it acceptable to spew inaccurate garbage to the uniformed masses. God forbid they refuse to speak with such authority about subjects they know little about.

Just a few days ago, I heard Phil Valentine saying that he thought the infamous "gun show loophole" should be closed. He obviously had zero clue whether or not there was an actual loophole, and if there was, he didn't know what it was.

He had no idea that it is perfectly legal to transfer firearms between private parties without a background check. He told the caller that if that were true, a law should be passed to stop said transfers.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by TripleDigitRide

I saw him spewing that crap.

Every time I hear someone spout off about something they now nothing about I want to slap the #### out of em. This is only a guess but I think 90% of the idiots on TV get off on hearing themselves talk.

Guest Shep Stoner308

I saw him spewing that crap.

Every time I hear someone spout off about something they now nothing about I want to slap the #### out of em. This is only a guess but I think 90% of the idiots on TV get off on hearing themselves talk.

Pretty much the same reason that I don't even watch him or any others anymore.

I watched this on TV and was furious. His info was so absolutely false and uneducated and made him look like a total idiot. I usually watch Fox but if we can't count on them to at least be fair and balanced as well as "FACTUAL", the the hell with em'. I'll stick to Drudge Report.

Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks everyone for disrepecting O'Reilly so I can rest up assured that this important duty is not neglected. The assistance is greatly appreciated! :) Warms my heart to see O'Reilly getting the disrespect he deserves.

Phil Valentine hasn't been in my radio market for at least a year. He wasn't the brightest bulb and followed conformist conservative party line, but Phil and his sidekick were laid back and occasionally funny. He's such a straight down the line conservative party line guy, surprising he would veer off the reservation far enough to suggest new gun law. Maybe he's been taking lessons from arch-conservative role models, founts of sweetness and light such as O'Reilly and Bill Kristol.

Guest 6.8 AR

I watched this on TV and was furious. His info was so absolutely false and uneducated and made him look like a total idiot. I usually watch Fox but if we can't count on them to at least be fair and balanced as well as "FACTUAL", the the hell with em'. I'll stick to Drudge Report.

Their news reporting is actually pretty good. O'Reilly is an "opinion based show", not to be compared to the news.

i don't like his "opinions" very much, a lot of the time, but i don't watch him very much, either. He says a lot of things like a good old yankee

Rockefeller Republican would. Kinda progressive.

Their news reporting is actually pretty good. O'Reilly is an "opinion based show", not to be compared to the news.

i don't like his "opinions" very much, a lot of the time, but i don't watch him very much, either. He says a lot of things like a good old yankee

Rockefeller Republican would. Kinda progressive.

He's a cantankerous entertainer. Just like Rush, but Bill's politics aren't as consistently conservative. Or consistently anything, really.

His style is what sells; he's the master of the "don't let 'em say much of anything, this is all about ME". Worse than Hannity. Slightly.

His ratings prove that it works.

Whole show is worth it when Dennis Miller has his segment. Watter's World is a hoot too. There's a new deadpan conservative comic on some too, pretty good, haven't tuned into exactly who he is yet.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot