Public Shooting in East TN. Jacob's Creek....

Guest LiLBucket

Guest LiLBucket

So a guy at work was telling me about a place called Jacob's Creek that apparently has a public shooting range. Has anyone been? It's about 15-20 min from Bristol towards the Holston Lake and I believe it's in or near the Cherokee National Forest.

He said it was a bit sketchy as there are sometimes people that he "didn't feel comfortable having a loaded firearm near him."

Just wondering. It wouldn't be to far from work for me and didn't know if anyone on here frequented this spot.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jacob's Creek is a TWRA range. They're all a little sketchy. I don't like Scioto as much as I once did, mostly because of some of the good ol' boys there who don't like new guys coming in and actually having the audacity to shoot on the 25 yard line that they pretty much monopolize with their .22LR's.

A list of all TWRA run ranges: http://www.state.tn.us/twra/firrange.html

$2 per day, per vehicle. There's a sign that advertises a $30 annual pass as an alternative apparently. You get an envelope out of a self pay station that you tear off a car tag from that's good for the day... A lot of people just use the ranges and don't pay though.

North Cherokee WMA - Fee required, daylight hours only.

Jacobs Creek - Denton Valley Road, Sullivan Co. (423) 735-1500

Pond Mountain - Hwy. 321, Carter Co. (423) 735-1500

Scioto - Scioto Road, Unicoi Co. (423) 735-1500

Bubbling Springs - Hwy. 107, Cocke Co. (423) 638-4109

Guest LiLBucket

I heard about the honor system payment method and that quite a few people don't pay, it's a shame!

Do you frequent either at all any more? Where do you prefer to shoot? I noticed you live in Gray, I'm in Piney Flats and have been looking for a decent place to shoot. I plan on joining a club, hopefully soon, but for now I need somewhere to "test fire" more than shoot recreationally.

Work and an inevitable wedding are making my hobbies suffer a bit!!! Such is the life though eh!!

Thanks Skwash!

I don't go to Scioto very frequently. I go maybe once a month just to get some trigger time. At some point, I'll probably cave and apply for a membership at Cherokee just to have a place to shoot where I'm not going to get dirty looks for bringing a 9mm and wanting to shoot at something closer than 25 yards away.

If you want to arrange to meet up at Scioto or carpool out to it, I'm game. We can probably convince salb to join us with his AK-47 to ventilate milk jugs. Jacob's Creek is way out in the middle of nowhere from what I'm told, and muddy 75% of the time.

Guest LiLBucket

Sounds good Skwash!! I'm game too!! My schedule is always tentative and on a day to day basis, but I'd love to work somehting out. It's been a while since I've been to a real range as the back yard has been my only option lately.

AK huh, ow ow ow, quit, OK !! (<--twisting my arm) I'm building one now and hopefully it'll be done by this weekend, maybe next. I'll need to be "test' firing it soon so maybe that'll give me some incentive to clear up some time to get to a range.

Let me know when's good for you. Thanks for the info!!!

Guest Hyaloid

FWIW:

I haven't shot at the public ranges, but I did recently join Cherokee. So far, I am extremely pleased with that decision. The range is open Sunrise to Sunset (except Sundays), and I have yet to find someone behaving like a tool, though I am sure it will happen.

Guest LiLBucket

I've strongly considered Cherokee myself. It is however, a bit further than the other clubs (Kettelfoot and Unaka). I'll have to check them all out before I decide. Man, I've been procrastinating this gun club thing waaaay to long already!!!!

Hyaloid, where are you from?

Unaka, at least from what I've been told, has very restricted hours due to complaints from neighbors. I don't have much information on Kettlefoot beyond that it's near Bristol. I'm usually free all day on Saturday, so any weekend is good unless my mother is demanding my presence at her house for dinner.

Guest Hyaloid

I'm in Jonesborough.

IMHO, stay away from Unaka, I was a member there and it was NEVER open when I needed/wanted to shoot. Very frustrating.

Guest LiLBucket

Thanks Mars, I missed that thread!! We should try to arrange a meet, greet, and make BOOM! I shouldn't be the one to do it though, I can't nail down a time to poop let alone archestrate a "shootout"!! I don't know if a member of one of the local clubs could sponsor something like this at their club, but it could be possible. Anyone have any ideas or input? I'd be cool to meet some of you fellow TGOs!!

I noticed that some of the guys out west are getting together, we need not let them out do us!! j/k!!

I hate to say it, but we don't have a lot of places to shoot. At least not by-the-hour places.

My schedule is odd. I don't necessarily know when I when up in the morning which continent I'll be on my nightfall. So y'all just need to plan something and I'll show up if I can. If I'm in the area, I can sometimes get together through the weeks for lunch though. I'm the old guy in the military T....

Oh yeah Hyaloid. I was a member at Unaka when the change in hours occurred - just after they had collected dues for the next year. I never used my membership the next year. The problem there is fixable with security cameras.

Guest LiLBucket

I see. I'm a 9-5er, wish circumstances were otherwise, that's life I guess. Weekends are best for me, of after 5 of course! Maybe I'll start a thread.....

Sounds good Skwash!! I'm game too!! My schedule is always tentative and on a day to day basis, but I'd love to work somehting out. It's been a while since I've been to a real range as the back yard has been my only option lately.

AK huh, ow ow ow, quit, OK !! (<--twisting my arm) I'm building one now and hopefully it'll be done by this weekend, maybe next. I'll need to be "test' firing it soon so maybe that'll give me some incentive to clear up some time to get to a range.

Let me know when's good for you. Thanks for the info!!!

Bucket, when I get home, if you guys are willing sometime around June 17th, (that weekend?) I'll be available to shoot...and I can probably be counted on to bring 3 or 4 rifles (all service rifles...) a shotgun and a couple of pistols! would love to shoot with you guys!

Guest LiLBucket
Bucket, when I get home, if you guys are willing sometime around June 17th, (that weekend?) I'll be available to shoot...and I can probably be counted on to bring 3 or 4 rifles (all service rifles...) a shotgun and a couple of pistols! would love to shoot with you guys!

Sounds good Tower! Keep me(us) informed on your schedule and we'll nail down a date and time as it gets closer. :D