East Nashville Shooting

Attempted Carjack...victim was sitting in his car when a gunman got out of another car.

He locked the door before the gunman could open it.

Wouldn't get out, gunman shot him in the shoulder through the window.

July 31, 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

East Precinct detectives are asking for the public’s assistance as they continue in their efforts to identify the gunman who wounded a man outside The Family Wash eatery and music venue at 2038 Greenwood Avenue.

The 22-year-old victim is a musician who was getting into his car at 12:30 a.m. Sunday after playing an engagement when a silver sedan with chrome rims slowly passed toward the intersection of Greenwood & Porter Avenues.  A man came from the silver sedan and demanded the victim’s car.  The victim did not comply, resulting in the gunman shooting him in the shoulder through the driver side window.  The victim was treated and released at a local hospital.

The gunman was wearing a black hat, a red shirt with black writing and a bandana over his face.

Anyone with knowledge of the silver car and/or the gunman is urged to contact Crime Stoppers at 74-CRIME.  Citizens can also send an electronic tip to Crime Stoppers by texting the word “CASH†along with their message to 274637 (CRIMES) or by logging onto www.nashvillecrimestoppers.com.  Callers to Crime Stoppers can remain anonymous and qualify for a cash reward.                                                       

I think he had JUST gotten into his car.

Had he been armed, he would have to Draw and point through the Glass....Gunman would definitely have Fired....you'd have to shoot first.

Draw and Return Fire when you've just been shot through a window (you're covered in glass) and been hit in the Neck/Shoulder area would not be an easy thing to pull off.

Yep, I guess in those circumstances you'd just have to give up...

Jeff Cooper would probably say this guy "gave up" long before the event happened...that that the choice to fight and to stay in the fight needs to be made a long time before that "moment" in time when the s**t is happening.

The way this seemed to have happened, it would be a tough to avoid it...perhaps, had the victim been at least in condition yellow he might have spotted the potential trouble before it was on top of him and been able to avoid or prepare (and leaving an establishment at 12:30 AM I'd probably already be near "orange" simply because it's a parking lot late at night).

For me personally, even when I'm carrying on my body I always have another weapon secured on the seat beside specifically so that I can easily access a weapon in a situation like this (as getting it out of the holster while I'm sitting down and likely with a seat belt on can be a problem).

Jeff Cooper would probably say this guy "gave up" long before the event happened...that that the choice to fight and to stay in the fight needs to be made a long time before that "moment" in time when the s**t is happening.

The way this seemed to have happened, it would be a tough to avoid it...perhaps, had the victim been at least in condition yellow he might have spotted the potential trouble before it was on top of him and been able to avoid or prepare (and leaving an establishment at 12:30 AM I'd probably already be near "orange" simply because it's a parking lot late at night).

For me personally, even when I'm carrying on my body I always have another weapon secured on the seat beside specifically so that I can easily access a weapon in a situation like this (as getting it out of the holster while I'm sitting down and likely with a seat belt on can be a problem).

I agree. You have to watch your surroundings before it gets to this point. I am in this situation occasionally loading gear into my car at night, and I always feel vulnerable. However, for me to have any chance at defense I try to watch for anything happening and see it coming before the SHTF. And again, there's no guarantee that this will avoid the situation. If the attackers were sitting in a car 2-3 blocks away watching, and waiting for the perfect window of opportunity, then they could likely get the jump on a victim.

Once I commit myself to getting into my car to drive off, I don't dilly dally. Take a last look around, jump in, and drive off.

Speaking of myself, old habits die hard.

I have to constantly remind myself to get into condition yellow when out in public and/or driving. It's in my DNA to go merrily through life and not pay much attention as I should. On numerous occasions I've been out with the wife and she says, "did you see that"? Dah... No, what was it?

I think being in condition "yellow" in public takes allot of training mentally and it's not human nature, for me anyway.

Speaking of myself, old habits die hard.

I have to constantly remind myself to get into condition yellow when out in public and/or driving. It's in my DNA to go merrily through life and not pay much attention as I should. On numerous occasions I've been out with the wife and she says, "did you see that"? Dah... No, what was it?

I think being in condition "yellow" in public takes allot of training mentally and it's not human nature, for me anyway.

Very true.

Just yesterday (early evening) I was sitting in my vehicle in a Starbucks parking lot on West End (waiting for a fellow TGO member as a matter of fact) when a fellow approached me and asked me for a handout...he was almost "on me" before I realized he was there. I did, however, have time to reach for and have my hand on (but not expose) the G21 I had with me before he actually reached the window...I simply said I couldn't help him and he moved on.

After it was over, I realized that I simply wasn't paying enough attention to what was going on around me and I had to acknowledge that had his intention been hostile, I could have been in a very bad situation.

I guess we just have to keep practicing. :)

• Like 1
Guest BCMFAN

Having your head up, looking people in the face and making eye contact drasticallyreduces the chances of you being chosen as a target.