New ammo sales law in TN?????

Just throwing this out there. From a legal perspective, since there is no law prohibiting the sale of ammo to non-residents, could the fact that Dick's will not sell ammo to non-residents be considered discrimination. I see no difference personally between what they are doing and saying "We won't sell ammo to people of certain ethnic backgrounds."

There is federal law against selling ammunition to illegals.

Guest ThePunisher

Isn't this similar to the uproar over Arizona asking for ID during traffic stops? Where is the uproar from the media?

You won't hear any uproar from the biased media.

BTW, just made an online purchase of two boxes of 420 rds. of 62 gr. .556 before prices go up again. In past 6 months, price has gone up from .35 a rd to .45 a rd.

Edited by ThePunisher

You won't hear any uproar from the biased media.

BTW, just made an online purchase of two boxes of 420 rds. of 62 gr. .556 before prices go up again. In past 6 months, price has gone up from .35 a rd to .45 a rd.

Just did spot check on Sportsman's Guide, since they flood me with catalogs. Most everything seems to be up ~ 10% just in last 30 days.

- OS

There is federal law against selling ammunition to illegals.

I got that, but could it not be considered discrimination to deny the sale to someone such as Robtattoo, (hope you don't mind me using you as an example Rob) who is not a citizen but is in the country legally? What if, say it was an item that was less controversial to the general public such as a cheese burger. Are we going to tell Rob that he can't have a cheese burger because he was not birthed in America?

I got that, but could it not be considered discrimination to deny the sale to someone such as Robtattoo, (hope you don't mind me using you as an example Rob) who is not a citizen but is in the country legally? What if, say it was an item that was less controversial to the general public such as a cheese burger. Are we going to tell Rob that he can't have a cheese burger because he was not birthed in America?

Selling cheeseburgers to illegals isn’t against the law; selling ammo is. There are several items that you can’t make people sell and they really don’t have to give a reason why; Tobacco products, liquor, guns, and ammunition is on that list; cheeseburgers are not.

I’m not saying I agree with what they did; just pointing out that there is Federal law against it. It isn’t new and it isn’t state law, but the clerk may not have understood that if he was new.

The clerk could be a hater, he could be a new employee trying to be efficient, or he could be an employee that is being audited; who knows. I’m 58 years old and was carded because I was buying handgun ammo. I laughed out loud, said “thank you very much†we both had a good laugh and he told me its company policy. I’ve also been carded buying beer…

I’m just a plain old white American so no, I can’t threaten anyone with a lawsuit. I guess if something happens to a minority they can always find an attorney that will handle the case. I’m sure if this was presented to Dick’s management they would either explain their policy or apologize and say they would reprimand the employee.

Guest TankerHC

Dicks never has been much of a gun/firearms related store. Its always seemed to me to that their firearms, reloading section, safes and all the other stuff was just put there more or less as an afterthought. I have never been in a Dicks looking at a gun where I didnt have to go hunting for a customer service rep beforehand. But, want a set of Golf Clubs? They are all over you as soon as you walk into the Golf Section. I dont want to see any business in the US go out of business, but I will say it wouldnt hurt my feelings if Dicks did away with their Hunting and Fishing departments altogether.

The other day I was buying ammo in walmart. I picked up some that was on a shelf instead of behind the glass and I went upfront to pay for it. The computer ask if the buyer was over 18 or 21. She ask for my ID and I said I am certainly over 21 and she didn't need it. She didn't ask for my DOB which I would have just gave her. After I told her I was over 21, she thought about it for moment and hit some buttons and it was sold. I didn't go in and plan that, but knowing I didn't have to show ID in the back, I wasn't planning to show ID in the front check out. (I didn't either)

I bought some .22s at Walmart the other day, and the lady ringing me up asks, "Are these for a handgun or rifle?" I said either one, doesn't matter. She insisted that I answer the question. Then when I finally told one or the other (I don't even remember what I told her), she asked for my ID. I really wanted to ask her how my response dictated whether she asked for my ID. That encounter just reminded me that those people do not get paid to think sensibly, so most of them don't.

I bought some .22s at Walmart the other day, and the lady ringing me up asks, "Are these for a handgun or rifle?" I said either one, doesn't matter. She insisted that I answer the question. Then when I finally told one or the other (I don't even remember what I told her), she asked for my ID. I really wanted to ask her how my response dictated whether she asked for my ID. That encounter just reminded me that those people do not get paid to think sensibly, so most of them don't.

If you told them "both", I wonder if their heads would explode?

Edited by DaddyO

I bought some .22s at Walmart the other day, and the lady ringing me up asks, "Are these for a handgun or rifle?" ...

The cash register is cueing her through the process. if you answer "handgun" you are supposed to be 21 by federal law. Rifle ammo, 18. You're only 28, maybe you look much younger.

- OS