Two Range Reports

Range reports on two guns.

The first is a Taurus 1911 in 9mm. This is one of the more inexpensive (cheap) 1911's out there and really doesn't have a great reputation and of course a 1911 in 9mm doesn't seem at all popular. However, this gun is a GREAT shooter. I was shooting consistant groups at 30 feet with Federal 115 grain FMJ, Winchester white box 147 grain JHP, TulAmmo (russian) 115 grain FMJ, and some cheap Silver Bear 145 grain (also Russian) JHP. At first it didn't want to feed the Silver Bear, but after putting it thru its paces with the other ammo, it shot the Silver Bear just fine. The weight of the gun makes for a very small recoil, very quick to get back on target after the shot. This is the first 1911 I've owned and I'm very pleased with it. Its the fullsize with the five inch barrel, IMO not really a viable carry piece, but a great safe queen and target gun.

The second is the Beretta PX4 Storm Compact in 9mm. I bought this gun because my wife could cycle it without straining. It has a very smooth action and is single action/double action. For those that don't know, its a polymer frame pistol with an external safety/decocker (which my wife also likes). I'm a Glock guy and very comfy with my 19 and 26. This was similar, but different at the same time. The grip angle is slightly different and the SA/DA trigger is way different than the Glock. The PX4 Storm has a rotating barrel which is a new design to me and which means the feed ramp is actually separate from the barrel. I was afraid this would keep the gun from properly cycling HP ammo. Just like above, I tried Federal FMJ, Winchester white box JHP and the Russian Tul (FMJ) and Silver Bear (JHP).The PX4 ran everything except the Silver Bear, at first it wouldn't cycle the Silver Bear, but after putting it through its paces with the other ammos, it ran just fine on Silver Bear. The difference in the grip angle and the trigger was a little difficult for me to get used to at first and everything was low and right, by the end of the session, I was grouping in a four inch group at 30 feet, which satisfies me completely.

The Beretta is going to be my new home defense piece so I can go back to using my Glock for my daily carry. The Taurus will be a range gun only. I really do enjoy my two new toys.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice report. The Beretta is a very solid gun but it has never felt right in my hand for whatever reason. Not a knock on the gun but they aren't one size fits all and i don't do well with this one. I would love to hear/see pictures and more info on the Taurus 1911..........

Full size 1911's in 9mm are really fun to shoot,probably one of the funnest in my opinion.

I've always thought this would be true, but I've never had the pleasure of shooting a 1911 in 9mm. Its one of those guns though that I most definitely plan to own in the future. (I own 3 1911's in .45, and love them).

The Taurus is much fun to shoot. It holds 9 rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber.

With the Silver Bear hollow points, I think it was the shape of the nose of the bullet that was causing it to not feed properly. But later they worked fine, I guess I just had to get the guns broken in a little.

I will post pics a little later of both guns.