What Caliber for Dog?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brian@GunDepot
When that caliber is available in a J-frame, I will buy one... I don't care for SP101s any more than a Charter (and I have a Charter... an older one).

+1

Guest canynracer

Buddy of mine took out an attacking pitbull with a .40...

it took him 2 rounds, he was back peddaling in flip flops, the first round hit the dog in the rear hip, The dog, slowed, then attacked again...the second was under the left eye...the dog lived, ran, then died under a bush an hour after animal control came. But the 40 "eliminated the threat"

Guest tokarev

Hmmm, how quite do you want to take care of the treat. If you're willing to explain to the po-po the you KNEW that your life (or the lives of your loved ones) was in danger, just use whatever you normally carry. Just thing shot placement.

If you're looking at just deterring and scaring off the little doggie kinda quiet like, then try a revolover with the cb shorts (or longs, same thing, different case).

Musicman's M-44 with the bayo extended would do the job from a couple of feet to couple hundred yards!

To repel a couple of dogs I might use 22 snake shot in a revolver. To kill one of them-- any decent carry ammo should eventually work. To kill a pack attacking me- well, either an AK or an AR with at least a 30 round magazine, bowie knife, hockey stick, body armor, and a helmet with a face shield would be good-- that's how I usually ride my bike through the park.

Pepper Spray-Pitt Bull Report - kinda goes with this doggy thread

I used pepper spray on a Pitt Bull last week that was trying to get into my house- He was lost, loose, and my wife was yelling at him to get out of her garden- she was protecting her plants and I was protecting my wife- he was woofy but not in full blown attack mode, but when I opened the screen door to go out to help her get rid of him, he charged at the open door strongly- his goal was to enter my house. I guess it looked like home.

I had already picked up the spray and had it in my hand 'cuz I thought I might need it to help my wife repel the dog so I instinctively gave him a brief spray when he tried to enter the house- caught him on the side of his face, none got in his mouth, nose, eyes, or ears.

He stopped dead in his tracks, walked away kinda slow and goofy, and then started pawing at his face, trying to get it off, which immediately got it all over his paw. I saw him about an hour later running his face across a lawn over and over, trying to get rid of the burn.

Haven't seen him since. :death:

Hope he made it home, and I hope his owners figured out what that nasty burning stuff was that was on their doggy. I like dogs, but we've had a couple of local folks killed or maimed by loose Pitts in just the past few months.

To repel a couple of dogs I might use 22 snake shot in a revolver. To kill one of them-- any decent carry ammo should eventually work. To kill a pack attacking me- well, either an AK or an AR with at least a 30 round magazine, bowie knife, hockey stick, body armor, and a helmet with a face shield would be good-- that's how I usually ride my bike through the park.

Pepper Spray-Pitt Bull Report - kinda goes with this doggy thread

I used pepper spray on a Pitt Bull last week that was trying to get into my house- He was lost, loose, and my wife was yelling at him to get out of her garden- she was protecting her plants and I was protecting my wife- he was woofy but not in full blown attack mode, but when I opened the screen door to go out to help her get rid of him, he charged at the open door strongly- his goal was to enter my house. I guess it looked like home.

I had already picked up the spray and had it in my hand 'cuz I thought I might need it to help my wife repel the dog so I instinctively gave him a brief spray when he tried to enter the house- caught him on the side of his face, none got in his mouth, nose, eyes, or ears.

He stopped dead in his tracks, walked away kinda slow and goofy, and then started pawing at his face, trying to get it off, which immediately got it all over his paw. I saw him about an hour later running his face across a lawn over and over, trying to get rid of the burn.

Haven't seen him since. :death:

Hope he made it home, and I hope his owners figured out what that nasty burning stuff was that was on their doggy. I like dogs, but we've had a couple of local folks killed or maimed by loose Pitts in just the past few months.

I know I wasn't supposed to.....but I laughed out loud at the image of the dog.

Guest db99wj
I know I wasn't supposed to.....but I laughed out loud at the image of the dog.

Yep, pictured in my head him running his face across the yard...B)

Guest 2Old

If you're on a bicycle you probably want something easy to conceal, so I would recommend a Bond Arms derringer in a .45 Colt/.410 gauge. If you want to discourage them you could use a .410 gauge bird shot or if you wanted to eliminate them you could use a .410 gauge 000 buckshot (five .31 cal. lead balls in a 3 inch .410 gauge shell).

Edited by 2Old