UN arms treaty declared dead by NRA

The treaty is not dead. It is just being delayed until after the U.S. Presidential Election in November. Hillary and Obama said that they are still wanting to reopen negotiations after the election. The leaders of other countries, including Mexico, Russia, China, and Britain are all extremely determined to get this thing passed.

Obama thinks that he can claim that he is no threat to gun rights, get re-elected, and then get this treaty rolling again once he is in his last term.

This is not over folks. Not by a long shot.

There is also something else that I find disturbing about all this. I read about it earlier today. There’s a thing called the Vienna Convention (the Law of Treaties) which the U.S. signed and the Senate ratified. It provides that when we sign a Treaty - until REJECTED by the Senate or renounced by a President – it remains in force, binding us based on the President’s and Secretary of State’s signature. So, if Obama is re-elected, Hillary will sign the Treaty, and they will never bring the Treaty up for ratification and Obama will not renounce the Treaty - leaving the U.S. bound by it. And, it WILL BE ENFORCED by the U.S. Courts.

Has anyone else read about this? I am curious if this is something that the Obama Administration can do if they sign the treaty (if Obama is re-elected).

Edited by Seabeejason
  • Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR

The treaty is not dead. It is just being delayed until after the U.S. Presidential Election in November. Hillary and Obama said that they are still wanting to reopen negotiations after the election. The leaders of other countries, including Mexico, Russia, China, and Britain are all extremely determined to get this thing passed.

Obama thinks that he can claim that he is no threat to gun rights, get re-elected, and then get this treaty rolling again once he is in his last term.

This is not over folks. Not by a long shot.

There is also something else that I find disturbing about all this. I read about it earlier today. There’s a thing called the Vienna Convention (the Law of Treaties) which the U.S. signed and the Senate ratified. It provides that when we sign a Treaty - until REJECTED by the Senate or renounced by a President – it remains in force, binding us based on the President’s and Secretary of State’s signature. So, if Obama is re-elected, Hillary will sign the Treaty, and they will never bring the Treaty up for ratification and Obama will not renounce the Treaty - leaving the U.S. bound by it. And, it WILL BE ENFORCED by the U.S. Courts.

Has anyone else read about this? I am curious if this is something that the Obama Administration can do if they sign the treaty (if Obama is re-elected).

The Constitution states the process very clear. One treaty from another time can't automatically override

the requirement of that 2/3 majority Senate vote needed to make it applicable law. That is taking international law

and putting the previous treaty, which is not party to this current treaty and superceding our entire Constitution.

Kinda like saying it is precedent. Mixing and matching to suit the needs of the current administration may be tried

but it doesn't pass the requirement of the Constitution.

Just about everything this current administration could be made invalid by many other aspects of Obama's reign

of terror on the founding document, other than his own birth certificate. His actions make that faux pas look tame

and it may still come down to that little piece of Photoshopped crap, anyway. Just my opinion.

Maybe one of the lawyers around here could enlighten further.

If it ever got 2/3 confirmation in the Senate, it would be all over. Might as well throw out the Constitution, also.

when Obama is re elected he WILL go after guns.......He will flip flop like he does everything

and trust me,Obama will be re elected ...

I agree. He can’t get guns outlawed or take away our right to own them or our States Right to legislate where we carry them; but he can try to get restrictions on certain guns and high capacity magazines. If he is reelected I don’t think he will flip-flop on it or make any apologies; he won’t have any reason to. I truly believe his goal is to damage this country as much as he can and it won’t be limited to guns or gun rights.

NRA Stops U.N. Arms Trade Treaty

The Conference on the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty (U.N. ATT) has broken down and will not report a draft treaty to the member nations.

This is a big victory for American gun owners, and the NRA is being widely credited for killing the U.N. ATT.

Let’s just quote this and see if we revisit this. :)