Any motorcycle riders on here I have a question regarding handlebars

I have just recently returned my bike to stock height after having a 2" lowering kit on it. I am noticing a little neck pain and believed it to be due to handlebar position. I add a set of 2"" riser spacers to bring the bars up 2" and back about 3/4". Can anyone give me any good tips as to proper handlebar position. I know it is a personal taste and feel thing but any experience would be appreciated. Thanks!

This is a Suzuki Boulevard C50T.

Edited by bendbolden
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

How long do you ride for before it starts to hurt? Does it have a windshield. Do you get helmet buffeting?

Seats and backrests can make a world of difference. Do you have a backrest?

I know it's a lot of questions but it's not always handlebar position that causes neck pain.

Yeah I was too lazy to type all that haha. I have a windshield and lowers so no buffeting. I have a mustang seat with backrest. I will say I added the lowering kit BEFORE I got the mustang seat. So it may be the combination of stock height and the seat that introduced this. I also had to cut the shield down after lowering to see over it. I have it propped forward now though to raise it a little until I get a new shield. I have wind coming around the shield but not really into my face; I don't think that's the problem.

I raised the bars pretty high this morning and I think I like it but my wrists are at an awkward angle now. I shouldn't have to go with new bars since they were comfortable before but I have been wrong before.

Just my .02 worth, neck pain is usually caused by too much wind hitting the helmet. Pain between the shoulders most likely caused by having to reach for the bars. "Everybody" says you should look over the top of the windshield. Not me. I look through mine. That is what it is for. Good luck in finding what works for you.

Hey Bigiron. I would agree with you on the wind hitting the helmet but I don't really have that problem. I wear a half helmet so I am just feeling the normal "wind" coming from around the bike. The shield is high enough so the air is deflected just above my head from what I can tell. I do have a new shield coming so maybe that will help. I tried looking through the windshield when I first got it and just never did get comfortable with it. The pain is right in the middle of what you described so maybe it is both!

Well really I have noticed discomfort right when I get on. Not pain but just feel something isn't right. I haven't had a chance to go on a long ride yet but will be taking a 3 hr ride next week.

Went to school in Fall 05' left in Summer 06' :rofl: . Had a good time though. The KA house ruined me.

I'd suggest some muscle building exercises. I've ridden bikes with drag bars, ape hangers, and everything in between. I've never had any such pains, even after riding for long distances. I have experiences butt pain from poor fitting seats, but never arm, shoulder or neck pain.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I'll look into that but I really don't think that is it. We do go to the gym fairly often and I do moderate weight lifting including shoulders and back. I didn't have any discomfort at all before I took the lowering kit off. I think it's just a matter of finding that right position. Thanks though!

Well really I have noticed discomfort right when I get on. Not pain but just feel something isn't right. I haven't had a chance to go on a long ride yet but will be taking a 3 hr ride next week.

Went to school in Fall 05' left in Summer 06' :rofl: . Had a good time though. The KA house ruined me.

Hmm, do you counter steer? It sounds like you may be gripping the bars too tight.

Went to more than a few parties at the KA house. Good times. I lived in Hilbun hall, well not really but it seemed like it...

Not sure what you mean. I don't do anything special that I am aware of. Definitely not gripping hard though. Just enough to hold on.

counter steering is where you slightly push with the right hand to turn left and vice versa. This video sucks but it should give you the gist.

When you just sit on the bike with it stationary and your hands on the bar, does the pain start? Or does it start shortly after riding? I've had friends that didn't realize they were fighting the bike rather than working with it. TripleDigitRide gave a good suggestion as well with working out those muscles.

FWIW, I've logged right at 900 miles in a straight shot on a single day riding a fatboy with stock seat and bars. Fatigue really sat in with about 1.5 hours left and most of the pain was in the neck and shoulders, though the butt was numb by then. :D

Oh ok. Yeah that's what I thought you meant but wasn't sure. I think I don't fight the bike but have never made a conscious effort to notice. I will evaluate myself this afternoon. The pain starts after I begin riding. Who knows it may actually be a combo of the windshield and bar. It's just odd that it shows up right when I take the lowering kit off.

The lowering kit will change the center of gravity and could cause you to feel like you are wobbling more and cause you to unconsciously grip the bars more. I know when I switch between a road glide or fatboy (both lower) to a road king or e-glide (both higher with stock seats), the center of gravity change messes with me for a bit and I find myself gripping more.

Is the driver's backrest adjustable? Perhaps the new position is causing you to use different muscles. Lots of variables to look at.

Edited by sigmtnman

Where exactly is the pain? Low (between your shoulders), mid, or high (base of skull)?

Get someone to take a few pictures of you riding. Have a close look at your posture in the photos. Are you hunched over a little, head at a funny angle, ...?

You may be getting hit by wind coming from behind you as it goes around the windshield then you. My wife gets hit really bad by this when she rides with me at higher (Interstate) speeds. It will catch the bottom of the back of your helmet and lift up on it causing you to unconsciously push back.

Good thought! I got a good deal on a windshield from a fella in Canada but it will take a few days to get here. Hopefully that will solve it. I just went out and tinkered with it a little. I closed my eyes and just put the bars in the most comfortable position for how I normally ride. Since it only starts up when I ride it very well may be wind iniduced. That would make sense since I did not change anything from lowered to stock height except for the windshield orientation changing.

You may be getting hit by wind coming from behind you as it goes around the windshield then you. My wife gets hit really bad by this when she rides with me at higher (Interstate) speeds. It will catch the bottom of the back of your helmet and lift up on it causing you to unconsciously push back.

I was wondering the same thing. Dad had a cruiser with a HUGE windshield on it. Too tall for me to see over, really wide and flared out to cover the hands... it was enormous. When I rode the bike at highway speed, it created a low pressure pocket in front and the wind whipped around behind me. It was so strong that it pulled my jacket forward away from my chest and up until it hit my helmet. I could also feel it pulling my helmet up and forward. It was incredible. I told him if he needed a windshield that big, just trade the bike for a convertible.

I kind of think it may be too short and pushing on my head just the slightest bit. I didn't have any wind trouble before at stock height. I did have a different seat but I doubt it changed anything that much. Maybe I'll just pop some advil and deal with it haha. Everyone told me though if I change one thing on a motorcycle I will have to change everything else.