Thinking of buying an AK-47 this weekend

Guest Baron

Guest Baron

I had one before, but lost it in a robbery. Always wanted to get another, but had other items on top of my list.

Just two years ago, WASR 10/63s were starting at $300. Now, the cheapest I can find anywhere near me is $550. Arsenals have doubled in price.

I am kinda worried they they will soon be out of my price range. I just can't justify paying over $750 for an AK and most of the better ones seem to be already past that.

There is a show this weekend in Memphis. I doubt there will be any good deals, but I will give it a shot. Im afraid I will have to settle for the $550 10/63 (out the door) from the local shop here in town.

Any suggestions? Do the above prices seem right? I am open to anything except I.O.

Guest Baron

Can't seem to find any un-converted Saigas locally. I did find another WASR 10/63 at a pawn shop for $750 (really!).

I could find some sporting Saigas at the Gun Show. Id be willing to convert one as long as it would save me some money. One in 223 would be tempting.

Just seems a lot of dealers are price gouging right now on top of (what seems to be) a limited supply. Personally, when the AK goes into the AR price range...I'm just going to get the AR. M&P Sport is still under $700 out the door.

Can't seem to find any un-converted Saigas locally. I did find another WASR 10/63 at a pawn shop for $750 (really!).

I could find some sporting Saigas at the Gun Show. Id be willing to convert one as long as it would save me some money. One in 223 would be tempting.

Just seems a lot of dealers are price gouging right now on top of (what seems to be) a limited supply. Personally, when the AK goes into the AR price range...I'm just going to get the AR. M&P Sport is still under $700 out the door.

Where are the M&P Sports for that price? May have to check that out.

I think we hit a bottom in the Saiga market a few months ago, when you could get them online for $300 (before shipping and transfer fee). I saw a sporterized Saiga 5.45 at a gun show last month for something like $525. I agree anything over about 600, get an AR. Hell, an SKS is now close to five bills.

I'll be at the gun show this weekend. Come by my table and say hello. Not selling guns, just legal services.

Where are the M&P Sports for that price? May have to check that out.

May or may not still be that anywhere .. Sport was super popular, supply is down, and prices on everything seem to have already crept up.

Last great deal I saw was short lived run on them at PSA about 6 weeks ago, $665 in hand if you had a $30 transfer/TICS FFL in your area.

- OS

Guest Baron

Memphis Guns and Ammo on Summer has a M&P Sport for $680 (I believe that was the price). I bought the older model without the flip-up sights from them not long ago for about the same price. They still have their cash = no tax thing going on.

They also have more realistically priced AK variants. I am almost sure I am going to get one there if nothing is found at the show (and I highly doubt there will). Right now their price beats everything.

Russian American Armory should be getting some in stock for about $400 here in the next couple days. The .223 Saiga is pretty sweet, I have one.
Guest Baron

Weekend was a bust. $569 was the cheapest I could find for a decent WASR. I told the guy I would buy it if he could get me OTD for that pice, but he declined.

There was another guy who wanted $700 for one he was toting around. "A thousand rounds with no problems", he would say.

I refuse to pay these panic-driven prices. Saw my first KSG and it had a $1900 price tag. It sold in the first 10 minutes of the show....

Guest The Dude

you can get saigas from atlantic firearms for around 399-499 depending on what you want. (so long as they're in stock) i wouldnt settle for old parts kits or reveresed engineered parts that wont meet Russian QC specs.

and sorry, for 600 or so, that price for an AR is not going to put you on par with a 1300 dollar colt or stag. its like buying a garbage model 1911 and wondering why your having issues with it feeding and ejecting, when you could and should have paid around 900 or so for a better model.

you get what you pay for. and AK's are no different.

• 1 month later...
Guest The Dude

I'd understood that they won't take the standard, if there is such a thing, AK magazines... yes, no?

yes they will, and there are such things. standard 10 rd. saiga mags have a built in bullet guide.

you will need to fit the magazines to the rifle. the trunnions on the saigas are commercial, so to speak. they lack the extra step in the "milspec" process that relieves the portion needing removed for milspec "standard" AK mags to work. so you take the portion of the mag that touches the trunnion, and file or grind it down. you will also need a bullet guide to reliably run them. modification of the mags is very easy process, but should only be done in small increments.

the mag catch is also something that usually needs to be filed down a tad, but not much. taking too much off will result in the mag not seating properly and then bolt -over-base FTF's will usually result. these steps were taken at the factory for the purpose of them not using hicap mags - import garbage.

ak mags are all standard and within spec for the country of origin. some will fit better than others. most russin mags will fit russian rifles much better. etc...bulgarian mags are damn near identical to russian mags, both in contstruction and in specs. the list goes on.

keep in mind AK's are not the tightest tolerance guns even at the factory. with a micrometer, their magwells will vary on every gun, even ones of the same model. so long as they pass factory gauges, all is good.

the whole process for fitting mags takes about 10 mins. on each mag and 15 mins. for a bullet guide installation on a trunnion.

Edited by The Dude
Guest The Dude

but dont get me wrong, the wasr series generally tend to be good shooters. i just dont care for the prices they currently demand. they should go bang. and so long as you dont have canted sights/gas block, all should be ok. but they would be on the bottom of my list of AK's to get, so long as there are still others available. and the shipment of new Saigas should be in within a month or so from what i hear.