Romney Panders To NRA, Anti-Gunners. Simultaneously.

I am certain that there are truly people who are exactly what I think you are describing...they are open minded and wanted to support someone they could believe in and are disillusioned with the two candidates because they don't see a significant difference between the two.

I can promise you such people exist because I am one of them.

I've been disillusioned and disappointed too; Romney not only wasn't my first choice for the nomination; he didn't even make it to third. Nevertheless I'll be contributing to his campaign and voting for him in November.

However, after these many, many threads on this same general theme, my impression is that most of the "Romney isn't good enough" threads are being started by folks are not just people disillusioned with the two candidates bur are, actually, hardcore Paul supporters who are pissed off that Paul didn't win the nomination and won't be President. As a result, threads like this are posted every few days which are really just a way to vent at all the "sheeple" who aren't smart enough to have supported Paul. They are not open minded and one of the significant differences between where I am not and where there are now is that had Paul won the nomination I would have supported his campaign and would have been just as happy to have voted for him in November as I am not willing to vote for Romney...I don't believe the reverse is true at all.

Now, I could be absolutely, 100% wrong in my interpretation of what/who is behind these threads and if I am; well then I am. Whether I'm right or wrong, it does seem pretty clear that there really is nothing to gain by my participating in these threads any longer. It just seems to piss people off so I'm going to do my best to just bow out.

I see where you are coming from on that and, for the record, I do think that Ron Paul would have been the 'best' choice from the limited field that were running for a major party nomination. Heck, it probably wouldn't even have been that hard to convince me that he was the best choice, period, even including all the 'non-big two' candidates. If Paul had gotten the Republican nomination, I would - without hesitation - be voting 'R' in November.

However, that is because of my desire to vote for a candidate who I perceive as being clearly and unquestionably 'better', not simply because I want to specifically vote for Ron Paul. Gingrich always turned my stomach when he was in the government, before, so I don't think I could have voted for him. Santorum was just a bit too 'religious' for my tastes (yeah, I said it) but he just might have gotten my vote - I'd certainly go for him over Obama. You already know my opinion that there isn't much difference in voting for Romney and voting for Obama so which one of them wins is pretty much a coin toss (using a plug nickel), to me.

As an example of how strongly I feel regarding Obama/Romney (if one can be strongly apathetic) I offer the following:

I did not like Bush II either as a president nor, from what of his 'personality' came through via interviews, etc., on a personal level. This was partially because of his support and pushing of the (un)Patriot(ic) Act and his getting the U.S. involved in a war where our nation had no business (Iraq - Afghanistan was 100% justified.) It was partially because he and not Obama started the bailouts. Also, he and not Obama was at the helm when the economy slipped into the crapper (of course, Obama hasn't exactly made things better.) He was at the helm when the government so ineptly mishandled the post-Katrina fiasco. He made the statement, in no uncertain terms, that if Congress would put a new assault weapons ban on his desk then he would sign it. I think he is a posturing, blowhard, pompous neocon who should have stuck to playing cowboy on his pretend ranch. I also think he was the second worst president of my lifetime, at least since I have been old enough to be 'aware' of such things (with Barry O being the worst.) Unlike some, I do not 'miss' the Shrub. All that said, if somehow Bush II could run for a third term and replace Romney in the current race, I'd probably even vote for him. That is how much I dislike Obama - which should help further solidify my opinion of Romney who I honestly don't think is any better.

Edited by JAB