Muzzle Break vs Ported barrel for 22

I have a 22 rifle and wanted to add a break to it for fun but then I thought about porting the barrel.

What are the por's and cones of each?

From what I have found if I want an inexpensive break I am going to have to get the barrie threaded, or I could spend the same money to get it ported.

Just want to know your guys thought.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kingarmory

Get a brake, porting on a .22LR is going to create a lot of fouling due to it having a skirted lead bullet. You're only going to see about 15% less recoil/flip either way.

Guest kingarmory

Neither will make a difference. The .22lr doesn't have the gas volume to act upon the rifle in any significant fashion.

Its not the volume that makes a brake work, its the propellant's mass and the net change in its velocity

You do not have to get the barrel threaded for a brake. All you need to do is ensure a slip fit between the brake and the barrel then use green sleeve retainer to hold it in place. Just make sure you are not relying on the brake to bring you to 16", the legal length. The ATF requires something a bit more permanent. Also, do not rely on this method for use with a suppressor as the brake will not be concentric tot he bore unless the gun gods are shining on you.

I have used green sleeve retainer for different stuff and it will never fail providing it stays under probably 700 degrees, which a 22 should never hit. When I say slip fit I mean both parts are within .004" of each other.

Forget about porting the bore itself. It is too easy to mess us the accuracy of the gun.

With a brake, even on a 22, the shot gets louder to the shooter and others around. I have a Cricket pistol and when I screw a muzzle brake on it people think it is more than a 22. It does help tame the massive recoil though :).

Dolomite