Just got a new 1911

Guest rj8806

Guest rj8806

Well, I couldn't help myself. I traded both my S&W .45 and a Makarov on a new Kimber Classic Ultra 2. :D I have always wanted a Kimber and now I have one. Shot about 75 rounds thru it yesterday and am thrilled to death.

I did run into 1 problem though. Today I broke it down to clean and lube it and for the life of me, I cannot get it back together. While it is simialr to my 4506-1, it is just enough different that I am having troubles. I put the barrel and recoil spring guide rod back in the slide, put the slide back on the frame and cannot get the slide lock lever(?) back in place. I tried going back in reverse order, meaning the spring is the last piece to back in as it was the first piece to come out, but without being able to get the slide lock lever back in, I am stuck.

During disassembly, the Kimber comes with a tool to remove a barrel lock from the front of the slide. You have turn it clockwise far enough to get the recoil spring bushing and spring out, then you move the slide rearward enough to remove the slide lock lever and then the slide comes out.

Anyone else got one of these Kimbers can give me some advice please? I am really stuck and in need of help.

Richard

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try going to 1911forum.com, they have a gunsmith/modification forum that I am sure will help you. Good Luck! Try not to get aggravated, it makes it worse. Ask me how I know.:D

Guest Boomhower

I've never owned a Kimber, so I don't know if it's any different from my Springfield, but is the barrel link up, or laying down against the barrel? It needs to be up. I have had it fall forward on me before and I could not get the slide stop back in.

YouTube is also really handy. Fast forward to about 5:00

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by Boomhower
Guest rj8806

Thanks guys. I got irritated to the point that I gave up and walked for away. My 16 year old son sat down with it and 10 minutes later, he had it back together. :woohoo:

Don't know what you all think of the deal I got but The Smith I traded, .45acp(model 4506-1) I paid $399 for it about 6 onths ago and the makarov, I paid $169 for it. I traded both of them and gave $200 cash. It was brand new in the case, never been fored. Came with 1 mag, all the paperwork, a Kimber padlock that slides thru the slide and locks it in the open position, disassembly tool and they thru in a box of Winchester FMJ 100 count ammo. The sticker on it was $699. What do you think? I have seen the same one at Gander mountain for $850 and at Benton Shooters supply for $795. I think I made out pretty good? There was also a survey included in the case and if I fill it out and send $39, Kimber will send me a set of Rosewood grips. So did I get a good deal or no?

Also saw something interesting in the owners manual, that they do not recommend using hollow points? Is that true? Does the 1911's not like hollow points? Also said that if I shoot reloads, the warranty is voided immediately?

Richard

A good thing to invest in is find a place that sells or go to Wilson Combat's website and order their complete 1911 handbook. I got a copy from work and it is the best (my opinion) 1911 guide out there. 1911s take a bit more fine detailing than some other guns. Depending on what you wanna do with it.

I have a Kimber, too, and I think you got a good deal. There are some Kimber models that sell for upwards of $1000, and so do some other 1911 models. The 1911 takes a little getting used to for disassembly and reassembly. Not like a GLOCK! Here's a picture of my Kimber...

kimber02.jpg

Also saw something interesting in the owners manual, that they do not recommend using hollow points? Is that true? Does the 1911's not like hollow points? Also said that if I shoot reloads, the warranty is voided immediately?

Richard

i have heard that the 1911 was designed by John Moses Browning to be loaded with 230gr. FMJ .45ACP only. all others may or may not have problems feeding or functioning otherwise. but i thought that was only on the original design and that the newer ones solved that problem with polished feed ramps, etc.

every gun manual i have ever read says that your warranty is voided if you shoot reloads in it. i suspect the reason for that is that they cant verify that you havent/dont/wont load them too hot for the gun. takes the liability off of them.

Guest darkstar

1911's can be picky about what you feed them. Hollow points can hang up on the ramp.

Try a bunch of different brands and you may find a reliable feeding round. If you are going to use this as a carry gun invest the $$$ and test fire the carry rounds to make sure they feed reliably. You can always use Cor-Bon Pow'r Balls, they have a polymer ball inserted into the hollow cavity which will give the round the profile of a FMJ round and take care of any feeding problems. Or you can just use FMJ as a carry round.

Guest abailey362

good trade.....you will enjoy it.

I have an Ultra Carry model and it also doesn't like hollow points (speer gold dots). The groves in the bullet are causing friction on the ramp and causing the rear of the cartridge to rise faster than the nose.

Kimber does recommend a 500 rd break in period and this will help smooth the ramp down. I'm almost to the point where it will feed to hollow points, just getting an occasional fail to feed.

the Ultra models are a bit different than 4 or 5" 1911's so make sure to use the instructions in the manual. The key to reassembly is to do it backwards, and make sure to be patient with the pin when sliding it counterclockwise when most of the way in to keep from having the ugly "idiot makrs" on the side of your slide and remember to line up with the small semi circle indention and not the slide lock notch (i did that a couple of times). If you get frustrated walk away and come back in 5 minutes....seems to help me.

Guest rj8806
I would rather have the Kimber then the other 2 firearms you did own...so yeah I think you did fine :-D One of these years I might have a 1911 also

I have always wanted a Kimber, so yeah, I am happy. I was a little sad having to get rid of my Smith as it was the best handgun I ever owned, hands down. It would eat anything I fed it, never jammed, no FTF's ever. It broke down very easily and was a dream to shoot. The only thing I didn't like about it was trying to find parts. It was a model they don't make anymore and I wanted different sights for it. I spent the last 5-6 months looking everywhere for sights and couldn't find anything. The only other downside to it was it's weight. It was bulky and heavy which made it hard to use as a carry weapon. Took me 3 months but I finally found a Don Hume holster for it that wouldn't "pull away" from my side when it was on my hip. On the bright side, the holster fits my new Kimber like a dream. The Kimber is much slimmer and a little lighter so I think I made out all the way around. One of these days, I will get another Smith as I love them but for now, it's me and my Kimber.:blink:

On a side note...is there or can anyone point me on the direction of a Kimber forum? I LOVE this forum and it will always be my "home" but figured a Kimber specific forum might help me with specific questions. I hope I am not breaking any rules here by asking as I am not trying to offend. If I did, I apologize and please remove this.

Richard

Edited by rj8806
I have always wanted a Kimber, so yeah, I am happy. I was a little sad having to get rid of my Smith as it was the best handgun I ever owned, hands down. It would eat anything I fed it, never jammed, no FTF's ever. It broke down very easily and was a dream to shoot.

The 3rd generation S&W is the most robust pistol I have ever shot. Losing it is like losing an old pickup truck. However...don't worry. You just traded a Ford for a Ferrari.

The 3rd generation S&W is the most robust pistol I have ever shot. Losing it is like losing an old pickup truck. However...don't worry. You just traded a Ford for a Ferrari.

hmmm, ive heard that kimbers are like the jaguar of the 1911 world, when they are running right, they are a dream. when they dont, thye will drive you crazy.

I had Eclipse Custom II and CDP II , both were jammomatics , when I carry a gun I carry revolver or Glock, don`t need no fancy stuff, just reliable...

Guest rj8806
I had Eclipse Custom II and CDP II , both were jammomatics , when I carry a gun I carry revolver or Glock, don`t need no fancy stuff, just reliable...

That's what people are telling me but I have several friends who own Kimbers and swear by them. Kind of like the Glock issue. As of yesterday, I have put 175 rounds thru it with no feed issues at all. It was as smooth as silk.:D

I think I even got the hang of field stripping it. I have found that a penny works better than the tool supplied with the gun when it comes to removing and re-installing the barrel lock on the front of the slide.

What's funny to me is my son is still on the fence over my trade. He was absolutely in love with my Smith and wouldn't even shoot the Kimber the day I got it. He just sat on the stool behind me at the range. :lol: I think he is coming around though. He and I spent several hours last night stripping it and cleaning it. He even watched the video that Boomhower posted and found several more on youtube.

Richard