Tennessee Ranks As 2nd Most Violent State

Guest 6.8 AR

I'm confident it's related to the same bunch

as "Center For American Progress" and

"MoveOn.org".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could we please have these people put into context "violence". As far as I can tell all this "violence" is due to occupation and lifestyle. I you're a gangster you are more likely to be a "victim" of violence. Is that really a problem? Couldn't we classify this differently? Linking this to guns is, once again, silly. Vermont is on there as being one of the safest States in the country, but they don't even require a permit to carry a firearm. Obviously guns are not the common denominator.

• Like 1

TN scores big in the studies that rank with (violent crimes)/population. That is hardly news, as our cities are infested with gangs and drugs and poverty, and we have a lot of smallish to midsized cities with big city sized gang problems. When it comes to the ghettos, tn may as well have 15 major cities! With leaders that deny the gang problem entirely, it will not improve in the near future either. Worse, all most leaders can think of to do is to fund programs to tell kids that shooting each other is bad and stuff.

That RICO act is the best news in a long time. Lock the whole gang up, indeed --- DO IT ALREADY.

As long as they're killing each other, I am not moved. Live by the sword and all. It's when innocents get killed that bug me. Everytime I see a picture of someone shot in gang violence and the picture they use of the "victim" is a mugshot I can't bring myself to care.

• Like 7

As long as they're killing each other, I am not moved. Live by the sword and all. It's when innocents get killed that bug me. Everytime I see a picture of someone shot in gang violence and the picture they use of the "victim" is a mugshot I can't bring myself to care.

I wish they would just herd all the known gangbangers into one of the ghettos, surround them with 100 ft concrete walls, and let them kill each other off, a la "Escape From New York".

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 2

Only because we have memphis. I bet if you took out memphis that'd change. Heck, I bet if you look at any city that has a decent sized poor, inner city, you'll see it's got more violence than a city with almost no "inner" city.

If you go to http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/ you'll see that Shelby county has more than double the homcide rate than Knox county. even Davidson has almost double the rate. Both of those cities have much bigger projects, which seem to be a haven for crime. Heck, 3/4 of our counties don't eve have a homicide rate. When I lived in Dayton, TN for 4 years, it was a big deal when there was the 1st murder in like 10 years.

This isn't the first time I've read a story about the gang problem in Chattanooga. Is it really worse than anyplace else in the state (excluding Memphis)?

Yes. Other parts of the state realize there is a problem and have taken at least some baby steps. Chattanooga does not have a gang problem, our mayor said so....

Chattanooga has a heavy tourism industry and goes out of its way to ignore the problem because admitting to it might scare away somone. So we marked off a few safe areas of town that are policed and maintained, and let the rest of the city go up in flames.

I would be VERY iterested in seeing their statistics.

This quote makes me very skeptical about the validity of the study; "The rankings on this national study are based on economic, health, education, and demographic factors." Most such studies are based on crimes, not silly factors.

I would be VERY iterested in seeing their statistics.

This quote makes me very skeptical about the validity of the study; "The rankings on this national study are based on economic, health, education, and demographic factors." Most such studies are based on crimes, not silly factors.

That's what I thought too so I went to their site to see just how they were coming up with their "Peace Index."

http://www.visionofh...g/uspeaceindex/

All of the data that they show are per 100,000 people.

The 5 indicators that they use to come up with the Peace Index are Homicide, Violent Crime, Incarceration, Police Employees and Small Arms.

So if you have a lot of cops and guns you must be violent.

Edited by BrasilNuts