Opinions on Waders

I am looking to replace my old Chest waders, and was wanting some opinions on the "Breathable Light weight" waders, and the Neoprene waders.

I will be getting my Daughter a pair also, and I want to get good waders from the get go!

Please share your experiences and reccomendations.

Thanks...

Dave

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a pair of rubber waders for years, and then I switched to a pair of Herter's neoprene waders. Wow, what a difference! I haven't used the "new" breathable light weight ones, but the neoprene has been great. Mine are full chest with lug sole boots. I think paid $89 on sale for them about 3-4 years ago from Cabelas. They have never leaked and the neoprene is surprisingly warm even in icy water. I have used them in flooded timber duck hunting. The neoprene holds up well.

My dad got a neoprene pair from Sportsmans Warehouse last year (about $100), and he was very happy with them.

Edited by Batman

I wore neoprene in Alaska. I never got hot in them there, but it may be different here. People smarter than me recommended to get wader that didn't have boots built in. This was necessary in Alaska due to the glacier silt that would cause you to sink to you knees and pull a "made in" boot off your foot. Instead we used cheap over the ankle hiking boots that we could tie tightly around our feet.

The light weight ones would be nice in summer, gimme neoprene if the water or the air is cold.

My advice, if you buy breathable waders , buy name brand. It's worth the money

Simms

Patagonia

Chota

Orvis

I personally have a pair of Simms Freestones. Which I believe can me bought for under $200.

Neoprene are good for winter but can be exhaustingly hot in summer, especially in the South.

I also prefer stocking foot waders and separate wading boots. They just fit better and make wading much more stable. Others opinion may vary.

Edited by Lumber_Jack

I'd go with the breathable ones.

When I bought mine, Red Ball in '00, they had a no questions asked replacement warranty. It was a good thing too because I stepped in a hole on the Clinch and cut the shin open. I still have and use the replacement pair that they sent me 11 years ago.

You can layer clothes under the breathable ones to make them warmer.

I suggest the stocking foot wader also.

Get a pair fleece wader liners too.

http://m.bing.com/shopping/cabelas-400-weight-fleece-wader-liners/p/46FCFBEBEE2231EA5020?q=fleece+wader+liners&shpabar=1&IIG=97c13f8eb2ef4d74a1b0be6dff3a34e2&kval=9.1&appns=mSERP&cutc=1343022054782

Edited by BrasilNuts

Thanks for the information. Buying waders in the "old days" was easy. You only had two choices..Hip or Chest. They were all made from rubber!

Dave

Yeah and they all sucked compared to what you can get today. :)

Edited by BrasilNuts

not to be too personal, but what is your price range? I will help you locate what I think are the best value.

$150 +/- for me and $100 +/- for my teen daughter preferably cheaper.

Bass Pro has some I like as does Sportsman's. I just don't know enough about the materials and brand names any more.

Dave

$150 +/- for me and $100 +/- for my teen daughter preferably cheaper.

Bass Pro has some I like as does Sportsman's. I just don't know enough about the materials and brand names any more.

Dave

If it were me, I'd buy these from Chota

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=18529&cat=1354&page=1

They are a Knoxville based company with a no-nonsense warranty against defects. The link above is to a fly shop in Townsend Tn in the foothills of the Smokies. They have free shipping all the time.

The above linked pair is $169, they also have a pair for $229 which have reinforced legs for extra durability but if you're not doing a lot of kneeling or climbing over rocks, probably not necessary.

For your daughter, I would look at the Redington brand at Sportsman's, or the Caddis brand from there. If she is small enough might even fit in youth size which would get you under $90.

I would steer clear of Bass Pro Red Head or White River Brands, they have been known to leak right away. And there is nothing worse than leaky waders.