Did a little casting today

So I drive to Caster's place to pick up the stuff I had said I would buy.

I pull up to His place and I was looking for an old dude looking a bit like me.

Hell no, He is a young man, well younger than me by a few years.

I pay for my stuff, shotgun ammo and a 12 pellet mold( that is what call it).

I have not used a mold like this before so I start asking questions, ya know

picking the brain. My goodness, He started to tell me tips faster than I could take in.

Good thing for me I get a bit of it in my brain, the Man knows His stuff.

He has in all likely hood forgot more than I will ever know about casting and reloading.

Anyway to my post topic, made me some redneck handles, dont laugh, they work,

I am a cheap SOB, I do have some coming so chill. they do hold the mold shut well,

just dont open very far, but do work. Caster I did as you said, step for step and this is what came out.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

leelyman1.jpg

leelyman2.jpg

The Lee slugs just there as a comparison.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's friggin' awesome! I'm happy you got the hang of it so quickly. I certainly did not. It's a steep learning curve for getting good results. You nailed it though. Now the fun part. Those things hit a target like a wadcutter. They will cut the most perfect hole you've ever seen. And a darn big hole too!!!

Love the handles you got there. Never thought of that!

It is all on you, I could not have done that well with out the steps that you told me.

The handles work OK, they dont open far enough to get the slug out easy,

I have to really watch what I am doing or they fall on the floor.

I have to wait a bit to shoot them, might get out this week and try some.

Thanks again Caster.

That is an awesome idea on those handles....very crafty. You can go though a lot of lead quick when you are pouring 12ga slugs!

I always wonder why they cost so much from the manufacturer....I have some 4 cavity ones that set me back almost $50 !?!?!?

Glad we have another "caster" on the board. It is a great thing to be able to shoot slugs for .25 each. I cut the tops out of bulk 12 gauge then dump out the shot. Melt it into slugs and drop them back in. Another great thing about doing it this way is they do not pound you like regular slug loads.

Caster has helped me out immensely as well. With his encouragement I now cast everything I shoot. Nothing like loaded 45 acp for .05 each.

Dolomite

I have been casting the Lee slug for a bit now, same thing you do Dolomit, but I open the crimp, dump, melt and cast.

Then drop in the slug and recrimp.

We are gona start reloadind for my 2 .308 rifles, 2 Glocks in 40 S&W.

I have started to cast .451 ball for the cap and ball.

Goto find some 44-40 brass to reload that as well.

As much as I like to shoot, I HAVE TO RELOAD!!!

And it is rewarding knowing I can not run out of what we need.

I actually made a die that folds the open end of the cut 12 gauge shells in at a 45 degree angle. With it being "tapered" it makes it cycle better in my Saiga even though it runs great anyways. I have also found that Federal bulk is better than anything else. It is because the cups do not have ribs and the slugs just drop right in. I know Winchester uses cups with a internal rib so you have to swap the cups out when using slugs.

Dolomite

Remes bulk have a taperd hull the will not take a slug.

I got out into the back yard to try my nrw slugs.

Saiga 12 19" barrel, Cobra adatper, Browning rifled choke.

25 yrds, 1/4" steel plate and 5 gal bucket of sand, wet sand.

Fed bulk, I opened the crimp, poured out the shot,

melted and cast the slug.

Left side is the Lyman slug, the inside out ones are out of the sand.

The splater ones are off the plate, dented the plate well.

Center are .451 ball from my cap and ball pistol.

Right is a Lee key hole off the steel.

slugbeforeandafter.jpg

yes, The Top 3 on the left, turned them inside out.

And that is why my 870 is the first thing I can reach from my bed.

I enjoy shooting AR's and such but nothing quite says here I am like a 12ga slug...

Mark

And that is why my 870 is the first thing I can reach from my bed.

I enjoy shooting AR's and such but nothing quite says here I am like a 12ga slug...

Mark

How many shoots can you get of before reload, 6 to 8?

Get a Saiga 12ga, you can carry 10 roung stick mag, a 12 round drum or a 20 round drum.

I have a question and this may not be the right spot, but i am thinking of reloading 9mm and 40 s&w if i also decide to cast my own bullets what is the best way to lube them , and also are wheel weights good to melt down for casting?

thanks

I have a question and this may not be the right spot, but i am thinking of reloading 9mm and 40 s&w if i also decide to cast my own bullets what is the best way to lube them , and also are wheel weights good to melt down for casting?

thanks

Never mind i found the lead thread and most of my questions are answered, thanks Caster

to hot to cast have casting party in the fall .how about a once a week get together when it cools down

I would be in for that, I use a turkey frier and cast iron pot I can bring.

How much room ya got, Weekends are best for.