AR Selection?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would give Mike's a call in Tazewell. He has a lot in a lot of different flavors.

(423) 626-4323

His prices are generally lower than most online retailers. And his selection is AMAZING. You walk into his small shop and think to yourself "this is a lot of guns" only to realize he still has 2/3's of his inventory downstairs. He also has a very large selection of handguns.

Dolomite

Guest ThePunisher

Outpost Armory is at exit 89 on I-24 south just past Murfreesboro. Exit ramp and turn left. Really impressive display of tactical accessories and reasonably priced. They are the only store I've seen that carries Maxpedtion backpacks and cheaper than their website. They have large selection of ammo, but a little more expensive than internet. They are open until 9:00 pm.except sundays. Franklin Gun Shop at state route 96 off I-65 south also has large selection of AR guns but pricey. FGS is closed on Monday's and they close around 5:00 daily. Closed on Sunday's. You could spend a day visiting both stores browsing their guns and accessories. if you win the lottery, you will want to spend some money at these stores.

If you decide to visit these stores in one day you can get on I-840 and drive about thirty minutes between Murfreesboro and Franklin. I visited both stores in one day starting at FGS around 2:00 and leaving Outpost around 7:00, and wished i had started my visits earlier in the day to have more time. Enjoy.

Edited by ThePunisher

Thanks guys. I think I'll be leaving Chatanooga on Tuesday after a meeting heading toward Nashville. I'll have to stop by the Outpost, if nothing else but to browse.

Definitely worth it, big place -- only been there once, and have heard various folks claim they got snooty service there, but even Mike.357, Il Duce, and I were treated quite nicely there. ;)

- OS

I’d 2nd checking out the Franklin gun shop if you are in the area. I’m not sure about the Tactical rifle selection but their handgun, shotgun, rifle, selection is bigger than the Outposts. Just depends on what you are looking for.

Outpost probably has a bigger selection of black rifles, but Frankln Gun Shop has plenty to fondle. I have only been to Outpost once and it was a delightful experience. Wish they were closer. The Reloader's Bench in Mount Juliet has a smaller selection, but great prices.

Guest twpayne75

I would give Mike's a call in Tazewell. He has a lot in a lot of different flavors.

(423) 626-4323

His prices are generally lower than most online retailers. And his selection is AMAZING. You walk into his small shop and think to yourself "this is a lot of guns" only to realize he still has 2/3's of his inventory downstairs. He also has a very large selection of handguns.

Dolomite

+1 on Mike's. Great guy. Been buying from him for many years since he was doing it out of his garage. I live about 2 minutes from his Tazewell store. He gets me into a lot of trouble.

I stopped by the Outpost Armory yesterday. They were perfectly nice, and did have plenty of options to fondle. I was not overwhelmed by their prices but it was good to see guns in person I'd only seen online.

I'm gonna try to stop at Franklin on my way back across the state.

Guest twpayne75

Are you set on buying a complete rifle?

I quit doing that years ago. It's cheaper and you get what you want when you build. Bravo Co. is your friend.

Are you set on buying a complete rifle?

I quit doing that years ago. It's cheaper and you get what you want when you build. Bravo Co. is your friend.

Definitely not, just don't have a lot of spare time right now. I just like to see things in person sometimes. Unless I just find a screaming deal, I'll probably build one.

Definitely not, just don't have a lot of spare time right now. I just like to see things in person sometimes. Unless I just find a screaming deal, I'll probably build one.

You can build an AR in no time whatsoever, and it's not hard at all.
Guest twpayne75

As mentioned no time is involved. I think seeing an AR in person is overrated. They all pretty much look the same anyway. If you buy one with a bunch of crap on it you will eventually realize it looks like a Tapco catalog threw up on it and take most of it off......then you will make it look like a Braco Co. or Larue catalog threw up on it. (Much better :pleased: )

If it's your first AR, the chances of you getting it right are next to none anyway. Took me many. And I still don't know what's right. To many choices.

Would you want 14.5" with an Aimpoint:

0722091517.jpg

Or maybe a 14.5" with a little magnification:

m4006.jpg

Or maybe you need something shorter and decide to try an Eotech:

STAGCOMP016.jpg

Or maybe you build so many damn ARs that when you see one in a movie, such as SWAT, and think man that looks cool, you decide to replicate it:

1218100908.jpg

That was the last I built. When you start doing movie based guns it's time to quit. Now I mainly just shoot pistols.

Guest twpayne75

It's not my first, this was

43bb73f2-02bc-1dbe.jpg

I was just considering another. I have changed my mind though. I'm thinking big bore upper. .300Blk or .458 SOCOM.

Gotcha. Not a bad first one at all. I wish the above were my only builds. They were just the first ones I had in my photobucket. When I wanted a heavier hitter I contacted Predator Custom Shop and they built me two bolt guns, a .308 and then later a .300 Win Mag using AI stocks, Rem 700 actions, and Lilja barrels. I never really wanted a bigger caliber AR. Although I have gotten on a .50 Beowulf kick before. Luckily I got over it before it went anywhere.