Winchester model 190

jtmaze

Recently purchase my parents home and was cleaning out some closets and found a Winchester 190 that Mom got 30 years ago. I vaguely remember shooting as a child, and got put up and nEver touched for years. Was in the process of moving so grabbed a box of 22lr and went to the back deck to see if it would even shoot. It ran 15 rounds flawlessly. Only rust was minor surface rust around the engraving. Are there and flaws in this model that I need to look for. Plan on making It a everyday plinking gun just to sit around and shoot in the back yard.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had several and the only trouble I have had was on one the barrel nut came unscrewed. It was an easy fix, I just tightened it back up...no big deal. I had another with a loose forearm and if memory serves I had to rebend the rear sight base to fix that. Other than that I didn't have any other trouble. They were average plinkers, fun shooters.

I have one I bought at a small gunshow about two years ago. It was actually my first .22 rifle (yes, I was in my late thirties and owned a Mosin-Nagant before I owned a .22 rifle. It needed a new inner mag tube assembly (the spring was shot) but has otherwise worked fine.

In trying to find out about it, I have read claims that they were built by Winchester with selling at a less expensive price point and a lot of folks badmouth them as being 'cheaply built' or not up to the former Winchester standards and so on. Personally, I like mine and think it was well worth the $79 I paid for it.

Like pretty much all of my .22s - rifles and handguns - when it comes to bulk pack ammo mine seems to prefer Federal. I have read more than one recommendation against using a lot of hyper-velocity ammo it in. Apparently that ammo can beat up the receiver if used in too great a quantity. That isn't too big a deal, though, because accuracy with the hyper velocity ammo I have shot through it wasn't all that great - no better and in some cases not even as good as the Federal bulk pack for a good bit more $$$. Of course, I've heard that hyper-velocity ammo isn't as accurate from most firearms.

Just to give you an idea of how a couple of different ammo types did in mine, I'll post some pics of targets I shot right after I got it. I have an inexpensive scope on it, now, but these were shot with open sights from 25 yards. I am really not good at shooting from a rest - never had any experience doing so growing up - so these were shot from a standing, offhand position. I'm just posting these to show how different ammo did from the same 190 on the same day with the same guy shooting it. Don't laugh - I never claimed to be a crack shot. Looking back at these pics, I see that the Mini-Mags held an okay group - maybe the tightest - they were just way low and left:

CCIMiniMags.jpg

CCIStingers.jpg

FederalBulkPack.jpg

RemingtonBulkPack.jpg

Edited by JAB