Question About Water

Guest Victor9er

Guest bkelm18

Yeah, I didn't get the Pro model. It's just the Hiker model from Academy. They had a nicer one for $100 but I wanted other toys too.

Can't remember the difference between the Pro and the non Pro. I'm a sucker for marketing, if it says Pro on it I just assumed it must be awesomer than the non pro. :P

For those of you that have the Big Berkey model:

I like the looks of the stainless steel,as well as the expected longevity, but it seems like it would be difficult to know how much water was left in the lower compartment, unless you purchase the spigot with the sight glass. And then if you put more in the top than the bottom will hold, I'm assuming it would overflow, wouldn't it?

I was leaning towards the Light Berkey (without the LED) for that reason. It might not look as nice sitting in the Kitchen, it probably won't last as long, and it's not as portable since the top doesn't fit inside the bottom, but at least you can see exactly how much water is left. What has been your experience using the stainless steel models? Is this an issue, or am I making this more complicated than it needs to be (it wouldn't be the first time that happened. LOL)?

Does anybody have the Light Berkey?

Thanks,

Chazmr

Edited by Chazmr

Dolo, just to confirm, response from the retail part of the org:

-----------------

"From: Customer Service <customerservice@bigberkeywaterfilters.com>

To: Mac---- <-----@comcast.net>

Hi Mac -

You are correct. It's 3000 gallons total, and then you can clean them

if needed during that 3000 gallon lifetime.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Dan DeBaun"

--------

- OS

Seriously? you wrote them an email because he posted something that you didnt agree with and needed corrected?

I like the looks of the stainless steel,as well as the expected longevity, but it seems like it would be difficult to know how much water was left in the lower compartment, unless you purchase the spigot with the sight glass. And then if you put more in the top than the bottom will hold, I'm assuming it would overflow, wouldn't it?

I was leaning towards the Light Berkey (without the LED) for that reason. It might not look as nice sitting in the Kitchen, it probably won't last as long, and it's not as portable since the top doesn't fit inside the bottom, but at least you can see exactly how much water is left. What has been your experience using the stainless steel models? Is this an issue, or am I making this more complicated than it needs to be (it wouldn't be the first time that happened. LOL)?

Does anybody have the Light Berkey?

Thanks,

Chazmr

We have the Big Berkey.. And I am thinking we might need one more for emergencies.. or to take camping and whatnot..

As far as it being stainless steel..I love it.. easy to clean and keep shiny for sure.I use some windex and a cloth to just clean it if it gets something on it.I guess you can use other stuff to.. ie.. flitz or SS cleaner..I cant say I would miss a window to see how much is left because I usualy fill it up.. wait a few hours , then put it in a dispenser in the fridge to get the water cooled...So the "overflowing " part would be an issue but I check it in case he had filled it up and didnt transfer it. I think we fill it up about 3 times or so a day?.

Overall I love ours..I can truly say its well worth the money.

Thanks,

Chazmr

Good point, and yes it will overflow.

As previously stated, we have ours in constant use, so I can now tell by the flow force if water is needed. We keep a gallon water pitcher on the counter beside the Berkey. I, or my DW, will normally add about 3 quarts at a time when the flow starts to weaken.

I normally take 2 liters to work with me each shift, and routinely add the 3 quarts when I putting my lunch together.

They are pretty awesome tools aren't they Kraut?

And as Kraut said, easy keepers. And, imho, well work the expense.

I intended to mention this earlier, but I have several projects going and as usual sidetracked myself:

Water is such a crucial prep item. All of us loose about 2 liters per day as imperceptible water loss, through our respiratory cycle and through our skin, every 24 hours.

As was well covered already, with increased heat, work, and stress, that loss dramatically increases.

(Water intoxication or dilutional hyponatermia is certainly a potential...albeit a minor concern with anywhere near a tolerable dietary intake, or at the very least a dilute electrolyte replacement supplement intake.)

I know that for myself, after Katrina and bucking a chainsaw for 8-10 hours a day, I consumed well over a gallon of water each day.

The effects of dehydration can be subtle, but ultimately devastating.

The Rule of 3's comes into play here.

Edited by prag

<p>

Seriously? you wrote them an email because he posted something that you didnt agree with and needed corrected?

It wasn't a matter of "disagreeing" at all. I am interested in the product and simply wanted the accurate facts about its capabilities, both for my possible purchase and for anyone else in same situation. I mentioned in previous post I had written the maker and distributor because I wanted to know for sure. Simply dispensing information, not winning a contest -- it would have been just as fine with me to have been wrong, I absolutely could not care less (and could filter a small city water supply for a few hundred bucks). :)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I went to the local gun show yesterday morning and there was a Berkey dealer there! So I had a chance to actually look at the different models, compare the sizes, and ask a few more questions. I think I'm sold. I'll probably be ordering one within the next 2 weeks. All of the input here was very helpful. Thanks!

We're probably going to purchase the Berkey Light model (without the LED's). We like being able to see how much water is in the tank.

I am still debating about which filters to get. I'm tempted to go ahead and just get the black filters and be done with it. But I've alsothought about using a set of ceramic filters now since I'll just be filtering tap water. And then having a set of the black filters available as a backup if I ever need to fill it up with water from the local pond or creek. The ceramic filters are cheaper and look like they might be a little more durable.

For those of you who have a Berkey, which filter are you using? Any insight I'm overlooking here?

Thanks,

Chazmr

We have 2 of the black filters. Its a bit slower to filter.. I guess if we get 2 more ( there are 2 more slots to put filters in) it would go faster. But 2 is enough for us for now.I guess for just husband and I its enough for the amount we are using ..I would guess I fill ours up 2 times a day now.. I drink around a gallon of water myself.. not sure how much he drinks right now..

I dotn know to much about the whole filters since he did the research and ordered it. I am sure he will come along and give his 2 cents soon..lol

I think you'll be pleased with your choice Chazmr.

As I mentioned back in post #47, we use the ceramic filters and have a set of Black Berkey filters in our stores.

The standard ceramic serve us well as we filter municipal water currently.

Having the ability to insure safe clean water is a great feeling and one of the most crucial steps of preparedness.

Well Done.