Flying from BNA with a firearm

How wierd, I've only used my factory Ruger case with one lock. I'm almost positive that's not a TSA stance, maybe a Chicago thing?

One other thing I did was to make up business cards with just my cell phone number on them and place them in the bag, and another sticking out of the gun case. With my phone turned on until the last minute I figured it would help in the event that they wanted to get ahold of me for any reason.

Interesting tidbit, from what I understand it was at one point popular for photographers to buy a cheap pistol and check it in with their more expensive equipment to make sure none of the TSA flunkies had any access to their $$$ lenses and cameras.

That way your bag is screened once right in front of you and not gone into again without you being present.

It's not just your gun case that's verboten, it's the baggage carrying the case.

The factory case is fine with one lock. The tsa agents showed me why they did this and that was because even with one lock on the case you could pry up the other end of the case and take the gun right out of the case. I think they had problems with that in chicago at one time. As long as the case is hard sided and locked it is legal.

I use one now that has a zipper opening which locks in the middle so that you don't have that problem. Before I used to fly with my Kimber factory case, and had the same problem you mentioned above in regard to being able to pry on one side.

Don't quote me but I'm not sure that a zippered soft case would pass muster with all airlines. Can't recall where but I have seen sone generic hardcases for pistols selling for about $10.00

On the other hand I have also read certain airlines retain lockable hardcases for use during flight. Not sure if you'd have to pay a fee to rent, maybe you buy them permanently, but I have read they exist.

Also some airlines have a limit to the quantity of handguns allowed per case.

I think I'm about tapped out of info on airline travel in regards to the 2nd.

Don't quote me but I'm not sure that a zippered soft case would pass muster with all airlines. Can't recall where but I have seen sone generic hardcases for pistols selling for about $10.00

I've flown with it once without issue. It's actually a hardcase that uses a zipper to open/close. I'll be flying with that one again in a couple of months. Now that you mention it I'll probably take the other one as a back up in case they have an issue. It doesn't seem an less secure though than a plastic box that I can cut open w/ my Gerber.

I've flown with it once without issue. It's actually a hardcase that uses a zipper to open/close. I'll be flying with that one again in a couple of months. Now that you mention it I'll probably take the other one as a back up in case they have an issue. It doesn't seem an less secure though than a plastic box that I can cut open w/ my Gerber.

I'm under the impression that many flight regulations aren't so much about actuall security as they are perceived security.

For instance, I can't bring a baseball bat on board but I won't get any trouble about bringing an electric guitar with removable quarter sawn maple neck complete with six handy dandy garrotte cables.

Anyway, glad the case works I hate spending money just to make people feel better about their own issues.

Good discussion on this. I've never checked a firearm, but I'm going to San Antonio with family in October and am pretty sure I'm taking my carry weapon with me. Probably will fly Southwest.

+1 on Southwest. I fly about 8-10 times a year and last year was the first time I went Southwest. The only reason I chose it was for the direct flight that my airline didn't provide. I'm flying them again in a couple months. I like how they do business, and the fact that their flight attendents are a little sassy, but not in a rude way.

Edited by TMF 18B

I did how they do business, and the fact that their flight attendents are a little sassy, but not in a rude way.

Oh, +1 on that. Flying back from New Hampshire last month on SW, we got a flight attendant who should seriously be doing stand up comedy. He was awesome. I LMAO.