Flying from BNA with a firearm

Seeking some advice here:

I've got a 6am flight in a few weeks departing from Nashville. I've read Southwest's policies on how to have my pistol stored. My question is what time should I arrive in order to declare the firearm and have plenty of time to get through security?

Anyone have any experience with checking a weapon and the time involved?

I check a pistol all the time at BNA. In fact, I flew last year on Southwest (first time on that airline, good experience) and checked my pistol. You don't have to show up earlier than normal. I've had a few different experiences there over the years. Sometimes they took my checked bag with pistol in it at the counter. Other times I was required to take it to a TSA agent in a separate baggage area near the front desk. Neither way was an inconvenience in regards to time.

Just make sure you check with Southwest on their policies. I've seen that some airlines require that you have your mags unloaded and the rounds in a secure box of some kind (such as the ammo box) and locked. I just travel the same way every time... I bring just enough ammo to load 2 mags and put it in a small ammo box with the dividers. I place that box in my pistol case along with the firearm. I also put the mags in there just to be safe, in case an ignorant TSA screener decides suddenly that magazines can load themselves. I also put a chamber flag in the weapon so the slide is slightly ajar when they put it through the xray. I was questioned once by a TSA agent if I was "sure" that it was unloaded, so to be safe I do this now. I don't want them to have any reason to open up my case when I'm not there and start finger-effing my gun and figure out a way to damage it.

What he said.

Print out the airline's policy and TSA's policy and have them with you. It's not uncommon to find employee's that don't know their employer's policies with such things.

Plan a few extra minutes and don't get uptight about it. If you're relaxed, they will be too.

• Like 1

Print out the airline's policy and TSA's policy and have them with you. It's not uncommon to find employee's that don't know their employer's policies with such things.

That is a really good idea. Never had an issue before, but you never know when you're gonna get the "new" guy.

My advice is that if you are going to fly with your firearm; don't fly with your firearm. I suggest you ship your firearm to your destination by UPS, etc. then do the reverss when returning...you could potentially save yourself both hassle or worse.

Avoiding the hassle is one reason but actually, with all the ridiculous fees that airlines are charging for everything it can be cheaper to ship almost everything separately rather than have it with you on the flight.

My advice is that if you are going to fly with your firearm; don't fly with your firearm. I suggest you ship your firearm to your destination by UPS, etc. then do the reverss when returning...you could potentially save yourself both hassle or worse.

Avoiding the hassle is one reason but actually, with all the ridiculous fees that airlines are charging for everything it can be cheaper to ship almost everything separately rather than have it with you on the flight.

Sounds like a good idea. Do you ship your pistol directly to your resort or do you ship to a ffl? What carrier would you use if not shipping to a ffl both ways?

Sounds like a good idea. Do you ship your pistol directly to your resort or do you ship to a ffl? What carrier would you use if not shipping to a ffl both ways?

I'd arrange with an FFL where you will be staying and ship to him.

I know it's an hassle but flights get re-routed and can wind up someplace where you could be charged with a felony simply for possessing your otherwise legally owned firearm. No matter how many times someone has flown without a problem, getting arrested once/facing felony charges is reason enough to avoid the hassle.

Once that plane is in the air you have zero control over where it might have to land.

Edited by RobertNashville

Regarding shipping.... an FFL is not required.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-additional

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Another point.... if you've got layovers, be sure you know the firearm protocol in those areas. Recall the guy who got stranded in NJ and arrested for illegal possession... http://www.nj.com/ne...sider_whet.html

Hmm, yeah another good point. I make an effort to fly without connections if I can, even if I'm not carrying. Almost everytime I've been in the north east it has been my final destination anyhow, so the gun stayed at home.

I disagree. I've never had an issue checking a firearm.

Isn't there a requirement amongst the carriers to have these overnighted though? I thought that was policy and that made it pricey.

Probably. Mostly a money grab on their part I suspect. I'm sure they'll claim that it's to minimize the time it's in their possession. Mostly I was just pointing out that it is legal to ship your gun to yourself in another state (care of someone else) without involving an FFL holder.

Isn't there a requirement amongst the carriers to have these overnighted though? I thought that was policy and that made it pricey.

Correct, both UPS and FedEx terms of service require handguns to be overnighted. Which means about $40 and up depending on distance.

- OS

From my experience it's easy to fly with your firearm. A few things I've noticed on here that I'd like to put my input on.

A. It is against TSA protocol to access your firearm without you present. If they need access for any reason they'll find you.

I'd also be sure to use a non TSA approved lock to secure the case. Sure they can cut it, but under their guidelines they won't and it will make it easier on you to determine they haven't been "messing around" when you get to your destination and find you lock intact.

B. Should you find yourself making an unscheduled layover in say NYC, don't take possession of your baggage. You'd probably have to ask for it to get it, I've never had the opportunity to get my checked baggage on a layover anyway. As long as your not in possession of the gun you should be fine.

This may or may not mean checking in two bags if you feel you would need clothes, toiletrys, etc. in the event of a long layover and can't fit enough essentials into your carry on.

Now, one thing you'll want to remember is decorum. Dint just mosey on up to the counter and say "I've got a gun here."

Try "hello, here's my ticket, I've got however many bags, and I'd like to declare a firearm in this bag."

You'll fill out a form, really just some basic info and be done. You shouldn't even have to touch your firearm and if you do I'd ask to do so somewhere more private than the main terminal to avoid exciting airport PD.

Really no big deal. Last time the TSA agent said only one thing in regards to my gun. "Nice choice!"

Just remember one big tip, among what others have said. Make sure you don't have any lose ammo floating around your bags. As I have read in other threads, may not be a good idea to use your range bag as carry on. Those scarey bullets with out a gun also get people's upset. Might even get you a free medical check under the new program TSA medical exam.

Correct, both UPS and FedEx terms of service require handguns to be overnighted. Which means about $40 and up depending on distance.

- OS

Hmm, well putting it in my luggage is free. Can't beat that.

A. It is against TSA protocol to access your firearm without you present. If they need access for any reason they'll find you.

I'd also be sure to use a non TSA approved lock to secure the case. Sure they can cut it, but under their guidelines they won't and it will make it easier on you to determine they haven't been "messing around" when you get to your destination and find you lock intact.

I did not know this. That makes me feel a lot better and I won't be using TSA locks anymore.

I fly southweast about 15that plus times a year and 99%get of those flights i bring my firearm along for the ride. I have only had one thing ever said and showed to me and that was in chicago midway. I had the gun in the factory case e which had only one lock hole. The tsa agent said that to prevent theft, thwy require two locks. The agent kindly gave me another lock and proceded to drill another hole in the case. Since then i changed to a pelican case. Its sealed tight with two masterlocks. I used to fly with the Magazines loaded in cutouts in the case and never had a problem but have since switched to an ammo case just to prevent any issues. Again, do not use a tsa approved lock on tge firearm case. They are not supposed to be in ur gun case with out you present in any form or fashion!! Enjoy your trip. Also you are allowed up to five pounds of ammo if i remember right.