Everyone likes pictures... so here's some before and afters...

Guest NashvegasMatt

S&A magwell?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should I do the S&A magwell like I've done to so many others...?

• Yes
    • No
    • What's a magwell....lol

Guest NashvegasMatt

After the mods to my new amigo, here's the results.

BEFORE:

img0500jw.jpg

AFTER:

img0506bs.jpg

img0508yk.jpg

Edited by NashvegasMatt
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NashvegasMatt

Nice. One of the best shooters I've ever met ran with a flat trigger on his Caspian and swore by it. I tried it out but it messed me all up... takes a bit of getting used to I'm sure.

Ultimately the idea of the flat trigger is what got me hooked, and then the easy of use is what kept me there. I personally stand behind the idea that when firing, a flat surface for you finger to pull, disregards angles and curved surfaces creating an even pull no matter where you touch the physical trigger itself. In comparison a regular 1911 trigger can skew your accuracy and consistency when firing based on the fact that the trigger reacts differently when depressed in different points in the half moon.

Yep! It does look cool. I'm assuming [ yeah I know ] that are going to use it for concealed carry. Mag wells are great for competition but make the gun wider for carry. If you need a reload that is that quick you need to practice more.

Guest NashvegasMatt

So can you tell us what you did? To my untrained eye, it looks like you changed the grips and trigger. Either way, looks good.

The untrained eye is perceptive, but also made some other changes...I first ordered all new internal springs for this guy, including the recoil spring, because I have read several situations when the amigo springs didn't hold up that well after just a few thousand rounds.. Plus I trust wilson products. although you can't see it, the ambi-safety was mushy, so the sear and disconnect had to go also. Midway was having a really awesome sale with free shipping about 2 weeks ago, so I did everything plus the grips for $115. A few items I got off of the 1911 forum.

He closed the slide and put ammo in the mag too. :)

bingo

Nice job. Is the pistol hard chromed or matt stainless?

AC considers it to be hard chrome, but honestly it looks like the same finish on my loaded target, which would be considered stainless.

Guest Victor9er

So can you tell us what you did? To my untrained eye, it looks like you changed the grips and trigger. Either way, looks good.

He closed the slide and put ammo in the mag too. :)

He also picked it up off the floor, good thing too. Shouldn't leave those things lying around like that. :P

Guest NashvegasMatt

Yep! It does look cool. I'm assuming [ yeah I know ] that are going to use it for concealed carry. Mag wells are great for competition but make the gun wider for carry. If you need a reload that is that quick you need to practice more.

yessir. I have my crossbreed holster somewhat worn in from my loaded... I like magwells but i think on this one i might not run one....but they doooooo look slick.

He also picked it up off the floor, good thing too. Shouldn't leave those things lying around like that. :P

it was also kind of hard to shoot with that blue marker in there, so I took that out also. rofl.

yessir. I have my crossbreed holster somewhat worn in from my loaded... I like magwells but i think on this one i might not run one....but they doooooo look slick.

I run a magwell on my EDC 1911 and don't have issues with concealment or printing too bad... plus you're right, it gives it a slick look. I dig the flat trigger on that model. Somethin' about the way the designed the front end of the slide with the extended length receiver. It gives it a very unique look. Contemporary would be how I'd describe it. Looks like it belongs in an IKEA ad.

Edited by TMF 18B
Guest Scramasax

Don't nessessarily like straight triggers, but they work better with my messed up trigger finger. Like the spider webbed hammer.

Cheers,

ts

Guest NashvegasMatt

That's cool. I hope I didn't sound like a smartarse; I was really curious to know what all you had done.

it's all good

Regarding the magwell... Like you, I had run several other 1911s with the S&A magwells. Love them on my range guns and run flat bottom grips for a smooth feel. That said, the Dan Wesson bobtailled 45 changed my preference. I'm getting ready to do a couple of commander length pistols with an Ed Brown bobtail kit. A Kimber TLE Pro II stainless and my home-built Baer Comanche clone will soon be bobbed. Before you order the magwell, go grab a bobtail and see if it likes you.

• 4 weeks later...