S&W model numbers

does anybody have a reference source for what the different models are for smith & wesson? in particularly the ones NOT in current production, i can find the current production ones on their website.

im looking for my dad a .357 revolver for home defense(medium-large frame) and he doesnt want to spend but about $400 maybe $500 max. and he thought he would have to stay with a ruger or taurus but im trying to get him a used smith

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

Well, I don't know what they cost really, and I don't see them too often. But the best .357 magnum from smith (imo) is the K-frame m-19. Sights are really good and adjustable, its hunting class accurate, DA/SA trigger is really good. Most of all the size is about what you want in a revolver. I like a 4" barrel.

I bet you can find one for $400...if you can find one.

I’m not sure of an on-line list, but there are many models. I have the “Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson” that lists them.

$400 to $500 will get him many of the most popular models used.

Model 686 or 586 (L-Frame)

Model 19 or 66 (K-Frame)

But here are some…

Model 10-6, 13, 19, 27, 28, 60-9, 60-9LS, 60-10, 65, 65LS, 66, 340Sc, 360Sc, 520, 581, 681, 686, 640-1, 649-3.

I picked up a nice 66 2 ½ “on this forum and a 4” 686 on the Smith & Wesson forum (from a member in my town) with a WTB ad.

Edited by DaveTN
i thought 686s were going for higher than that, like $650-700.

686 would be my first choice for him, if i could find one reasonable

Just over $600 will buy you a 686 new.

Used Pre-locks will be under $500 unless they are NIB.

What you see listed for prices on the gun forums are not necessarily what they go for.

This just sold on the S&W forum for $425. (Even though the screen name is close it isn't me.:D)

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/511103904/m/8921061303?r=8921061303#8921061303

As I say, post a WTB ad and see what happens. :)

to be honest he doesnt have the cash yet, im just looking and doing research for him. i might end getting it for him as a bday present.

if me or him had the cash id go for that colt, im sure he wouldnt mind a colt, i mean who wouldnt want one? but i just ordered a rifle (see sig) and that took my gun funds for the time being.

i'll do that.

im thinking that the 686 i saw in a gun shop might have been mismarked with it being a model 686 with a price of $686. it was at a good gunshop too that isnt normally overpriced. i'll have to check next time im down there.

Guest kwikrnu

i was at bass pro and think they had new ones for around $550-$650. i just got a nice used 686 on this forum for $400.

Guest gcrookston
does anybody have a reference source for what the different models are for smith & wesson? in particularly the ones NOT in current production, i can find the current production ones on their website.

The S&W catalog, search it under amazon books