What have you done in the past week to prep?

Guest USMC 2013

+1 for use of acronym with explanation. Thank YOU ! Too often many post these things and assume that others already know what they are talking about.

Thank you and you're welcome.

I am guilty of doing that, and have been frustrated by other confusing acronyms.

Internet communication can be challenging at times in general.

Much obliged.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest USMC 2013

Finished putting in my third raised bed today. When 4th bed is complete I'll have 132sqft of growing space. From one 8x4' bed this year we put up 6 quarts of tomato sauce, 4 small jars of sun dried romas, 6 pints of green beans and made a four once shaker of chili powder. That's not counting all we ate out of the garden, or the green chili we roasted and froze.

Next up for prepardness will be the purchase of a Berkey water system for the house.

Joe

Wow. Great thread!

I have only just begun my preparation. Wife and I have built a plan, over the summer and have an extensive list.

I have a short list of guns that I am working my way through. I have 2 of 3 guns on my 22LR list and am pickin up #3, next week.

I am trying to shoot as many different 9mm pistols that I can until I make a decision on what to purchase.

We learned how to make cold process soap in June and I am going to have a go at processing lye, on my next day off. This is all for EOWAWKI rather than SHTF.

Thanks for the continued inspiration and motivation, TGO!

Went to the local farmer's market and bought quite a lot of tomatoes, squash and my wife ran me out of the kitchen

canning it. Also got some of the best pecan, cinnamon, glazed breakfast rolls I've seen in years, but they are for

consumption on a more timely basis. :D

I wasn't very fortunate with my garden this year, either. Of course, it would be nice if there was some sun in my yard.

the tomatoes I bought were from east TN around Greeneville. Some of the best looking tomato crops I have ever seen

were just west of Erwin. I miss that part of the state.

Finished putting in my third raised bed today. When 4th bed is complete I'll have 132sqft of growing space. From one 8x4' bed this year we put up 6 quarts of tomato sauce, 4 small jars of sun dried romas, 6 pints of green beans and made a four once shaker of chili powder. That's not counting all we ate out of the garden, or the green chili we roasted and froze.

Next up for prepardness will be the purchase of a Berkey water system for the house.

Joe

Raised beds are a great alternative, imho. Without them we couldn't realistically garden in our little patch of suburbia...At least I couldn't if I wanted to stay married.

It sounds like yours has been quite productive USMC. Good work!

Congrats on the planned purchase of the Berkey. Excellent system. :up:

edit: to add:

This past week I did the 4 to 8 modification to an old Norinco SKS I picked up back in the late '80's. (I just barely broke the radius btw) It worked like a charm and now I have reliable feeding from 5 & 10 round detachable mags. I plan to try it out on white tail deer this fall.

I planted beets, carrots, mustard, collards, and turnips...watered them every other day (since it obviously didn't want to rain any...until today) and they are already starting to break ground. I picked and blanched 5 quarts of asparagus beans and got them in the freezer this morning.

Asparagus bean link: http://www.localharv...d-organic-C3705

I have to cut the okra at least once a day or it gets too large and starts to toughen. I hope to pickle some my next day off work.

I shot an IDPA Match this weekend and learned where I need to focus my practice. I also picked up some Berry's bullets and did some reloading today.

edit yet again:

OH yeah... I ordered a couple of books that look great. I listened to an interview with the author a couple of weeks ago. You guys might want to look into these.

Links below.

Books: "299 Days". Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/299-Days-Preparation-Glen-Tate/dp/0615680682

Interview on The Survival Podcast with Jack Spirko: http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/glen-tate-on-299-days

Edited by prag