What have you done in the past week to prep?

Guest USMC 2013

Guest USMC 2013

Kind of borrowing an idea from another forum with this thread, but I have found it useful. Seeing what other people are doing gives me more ideas and sometime motivates me to get off my arse and simply "do". It's already the middle of July, time has been flying by this year and time past is time gone.

So, what have you done to prep in last 7 days?

I put in another raised bed for my garden and plan to have a full fall garden. I also order two more rabbit cages so I can run three does and kits at a time.

Joe

In the last two weeks I've bought a 155 AH AGM battery and a 2kw Champion sine wave generator. Both Cabela's and Champion have free shipping deals on the generators.

Speaking of gardening, I planted leaf lettuce and spinach in my raised bed last September. It came up and 'idled' all winter. Come spring, it took off and I had lettuce and spinach before any of my neighbors. I thought that was neat.

'

Edited by enfield

Did a little gun trading and ended up with a G19 gen4 and a kahr p380. Picked up more ammo for each. Been using some of my short-medium term food stores to rotate out. Picked up more bottled water. Added more just in case items to my car bag. Also been doing more research.

Jokes on fat aside, I have been trimming the fat around here again. That always helps. Freeing up funds to allocate to a more consolidated kit.

Glad this came up too. Reminds me I HAVE GOT TO go get a new vacuum sealer. MIne died.

Bought a chest freezer, partially filled it with stuff from the grocery store, put my name on the list for a side of beef when they got to slaughter next spring. I'd hoped to be able to freeze lots of veggies from my garden, but yield has been quite low this year. Looks like a batch or two of salsa is all I'll get.

Added 1 gal of water to my supplies.

adding dried veggies to the food supply, just got a dehydrater and testing the results (yummy, but chewy even after rehydrated)

weekly handgun practice

managed to get a tolerable day and did some rifle practice

Great idea USMC!

I often find encouragement and ideas from a similar thread on another site.

Mon-Tues-Wed:

I picked, dipped, skinned, chopped, and bagged about 50 tomatoes and into the vegetable freezer they went. That made about 2 full gallon freezer bags worth. I have 7 more gallons in the freezer prepped for canning in the same manner. When times allows, they'll get canned up.

I cut 8 butternut squash today and have them "curing" on a wire shelf in the basement...there's plenty more to be harvested from our little raised beds over the next few weeks. The rain has been a Blessing.

I picked up a dozen 5 gallon buckets from a local grocery deli...6 traditional round and 6 that are rectangular...got those scrubbed and in the basement awaiting Mylar bag/o2 absorber filling with my next trip to the LDS Warehouse. I'm considering picking up a couple of sacks of corn from Tractor Supply, as the recent drought has wrecked havoc on our Nation's corn crop this year...the price of pretty much all food stuff will be effected by the corn shortage fwiw.

Our asparagus beans are vining nicely, but still have several weeks yet before they yield any beans. But our okra is only a few weeks from making..so we picked up some more dill for making pickled okra. The drought and heat did our dill in...

I finished putting up privacy tinting to all of the downstairs windows. I had put up reflective tinting last year...that coupled with privacy tinting is making a significant reduction in our electric bill...and it's a definite plus as far as security goes. We can see out...but you can't see in. :up:

Instead of freezing your veggies and meats, have you all considered canning them? If you can, they will last for years unrefrigerated. It's a little more work, but would be worth it in a SHTF situation.

Back on topic, considered how I am going to do my garden next year and I'm considering the purchase of a Air Rifle for small game hunting.

What have you done in the past week to prep?

Well, I loaded the canoe on top of the pickup this morning and put 4 bottles of beer in my tackle box and in about 30 minutes my buddy Pat and I are going to hit the Clinch to practice our trout acquisition and stress reducing skills. Does that count?

Jokes on fat aside, I have been trimming the fat around here again. That always helps. Freeing up funds to allocate to a more consolidated kit.

Glad this came up too. Reminds me I HAVE GOT TO go get a new vacuum sealer. MIne died.

Caster, after burning through 3 foodsaver units in the last couple of years (the last one lasted 8 bags) I finally bit the bullet and bought the tank: http://www.cabelas.c...EO;cat104668380

Expensive as heck but it is built like it was made in the 50's and has rebuildable parts. It is a monster.

I added a 2nd freezer and am starting to re-organize how everything is stored. I think I am going to have to design a simple database so I can keep track of what we have as we seem to "lose" things in the depths of the freezer...

Mark

Edited by Mark A
Guest 6.8 AR

I am ordering 24-26kw ac generator to put on a

spare motor and frame sitting in my garage. And

a couple more IBC totes to put gas in. There's my

temporary power supply. Need to help the wife

with canning all those tomatoes we got at the farmer's

market, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... I think I am going to have to design a simple database so I can keep track of what we have as we seem to "lose" things in the depths of the freezer...

Mark

ha, I just told my wife this morning that we needed an Excel spreadsheet for that very reason.

As for me this week, I added more supplies to my first aid kit, bought some more reloading components and replenished some food items that we used.

I finally caught a day off work, so I ran the weedeater and cut the grass (lots of clippings for the compost pile since we are finally getting some rain) ...gotta be able to see where the snakes and rabbits are at in & around the raised beds.

I pulled and braided about 2 dozen onions and they are now hanging in the basement pantry with the garlic.

I have a dining room table full of tomatoes to dip, skin, chop and freeze tomorrow...I'm strategically delaying my canning for the time being. :cool:

I cut several butternut squash and have them on a metal rack curing in the basement.

I had to run to the local grocery store pharmacy (Ingle's) for my DW this afternoon and decided to check out their fruit.

I picked up a "Produce Manager's Special" bag of several pounds of very nice bananas for $1.49...I have 5 trays of them in the Excalibur (saved back six for eating fresh), along with 2 trays of previously canned apricots and 2 trays of previously canned pineapple chunks.

I eat oatmeal pretty much every morning (rotating it through the pantry...inexpensive and stores a looong time...) and love it with dried fruit and a little honey in it.