Moral dilema

Guest Lstevison

yes it can be just as deadly, but the thread was about what would you do in that situation. If i came up on a guy stabbing a screaming women I def would not turn my back and leave, and cause I'm not sure whats going on and who's who I wouldnt want to shoot to kill either. IMO the best thing to do is try and stop the crime wihtout using lethal force. If at all possible I would have aimed at a leg, butt and shoulder before I went for the Chest and Head area.

If he dies then so be it, hopefully the judge would understand that you were trying to save a life even though you didnt know the sitiuation.

thats prob what I would do and hope for the best.

In all regards to your opinion...

I surely hope you would not shoot me if I was being attacked, and took the weapon away from my attacker and was defending myself! If that's the case, I might as well let my original attacker kill me!

Im saying if you were standing back watching you should have time to aim at a leg and get off a good shot as long as you werent the one being attacked. Where did the cop shoot this guy?

Haven't had any training, have you?

As far as I know sir, she wasn't killed. If they are in a car, and unless I walk up to said vehicle, I would not know if she/he was being stabbed or not. I will awaken at 5 am to go to work on post, and I will awaken at 4 am to work the refuge. I will stand in front of the mirror, look at my self and say "what a beautiful day today is"....shave and go to work.

None of my business...

Now, if some thug comes out of walmart, kicks and beats down a young or elderly lady to rob them...I KNOW who the agressor is....I WILL take action...period. Under the scenario given (please go back and read it very carefully), I probably would NOT take lethal action.

Don't pull this "my wife", my daughter crap. If I caught ANYONE hurting my family...well....anyways....

Dave

Didn't the question state you see a women being stabbed? By definition then you don't have to get closer etc to have an idea of what is happening.

As to aggressor, if the woman is obviously being overpowered, is not presenting a defense, then regardless of who started it, the man is now committing a crime by continuing to assault some one who is no longer a threat. At that point, would it really matter who he is, why he is doing it etc?

The old shoot them in the arm/leg will give you away everytime heh, heh heh

Yes, it's truly amazing how many people's idea of continued education on self defense with a firearm is going to the movies or watching television.

In all regards to your opinion...

I surely hope you would not shoot me if I was being attacked, and took the weapon away from my attacker and was defending myself! If that's the case, I might as well let my original attacker kill me!

Wouldn't this assume that the person assaulting you was overreacting? IE shooting you simply because you were holding a gun? Same as before, if he came upon you shooting at a man on the ground, who wasn't trying to get up or was wounded then wouldn't be it logical, as well as correct to shoot you?

Wouldn't this assume that the person assaulting you was overreacting? IE shooting you simply because you were holding a gun? Same as before, if he came upon you shooting at a man on the ground, who wasn't trying to get up or was wounded then wouldn't be it logical, as well as correct to shoot you?

Sir..your post makes no sense to me what-so-ever!

If someone attacks me with a knife, and I take said knife away from my attacker and commence to cut them up with said knife...I WOULD NOT APPRECIATE YOU SHOOTING ME FOR DEFENDING MYSELF....PERIOD...Comprendea?

Dave

Sent from my Dell Desktop using Tap-a-Key Board!

Sir..your post makes no sense to me what-so-ever!

If someone attacks me with a knife, and I take said knife away from my attacker and commence to cut them up with said knife...I WOULD NOT APPRECIATE YOU SHOOTING ME FOR DEFENDING MYSELF....PERIOD...Comprendea?

Dave

Sent from my Dell Desktop using Tap-a-Key Board!

Ok you have changed the situation around. Before you were merely holding a gun on someone, now you are actively stabbing them.

Also, your scenario is missing some key data. Is the guy on the ground? Is he actively attacking you? All of those would influence a decision to get involved and if so, to what extent. If you were holding him at bay, then the logical thing to do would be call 911 and stay out of it. If it looked like you were defending yourself from an ongoing assault, or were attempting to murder him, then the situation would call for more action on my part.

I don't I ever said that someone SHOULD automatically shoot someone they see holding a knife or a gun. It depends on the actions of the other person, such as who is screaming DIE **********!!!! and who is screaming HELP!!!

Now does it make some sense to you?

snapback.pngTMF 18B, on 18 July 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

Well, I think for the sake of the scenario it should be assumed that it is immediately obvious that an innocent is being assaulted.

Do you have to be? Legally or morally I mean?

My point being is you find out later she was completely innocent, and since you had that 5% doubt you let her die. You cool with that? Versus you shoot the guy and find out that yes she started it, he had been stabbed and was stabbing her and you killed him. Ok that's less black and white than the first scenario, but he was stabbing someone who wasn't a threat any longer.

Yes mistakes can happen. You can be justified and still wind up in trouble. But the idea of watching someone get murdered? I think that's worth the risk. Otherwise my son would grow up thinking it's ok to let other people die.

Thing is Sir, I'm NOT going to WATCH anyone die...just ain't. Period.

Dave

What's your real name?

Ok you have changed the situation around. Before you were merely holding a gun on someone, now you are actively stabbing them.

Also, your scenario is missing some key data. Is the guy on the ground? Is he actively attacking you? All of those would influence a decision to get involved and if so, to what extent. If you were holding him at bay, then the logical thing to do would be call 911 and stay out of it. If it looked like you were defending yourself from an ongoing assault, or were attempting to murder him, then the situation would call for more action on my part.

I don't I ever said that someone SHOULD automatically shoot someone they see holding a knife or a gun. It depends on the actions of the other person, such as who is screaming DIE **********!!!! and who is screaming HELP!!!

Now does it make some sense to you?

Makes sense to me homie...but I don't remember the "story" ever saying "HELP, HELP, HELP...MU********** Trying to kill me! HELP!!!

Dave

What';s your real name?

Makes sense to me homie...but I don't remember the "story" ever saying "HELP, HELP, HELP...MU********** Trying to kill me! HELP!!!

Dave

What';s your real name?

We aren't talking about the original story. I am trying to make a point to WD-40.

Back up a few posts.