I knew that this would happen

I went to the public range this morning to test my M&P Shield, M&P9mm and M&P22. While waiting to pay my fees I listened to the conversation between the clerk and a young lady renting range time. From what I could tell she had been there before as a minor. From her responses I could tell that the clerk was concerned about her capabilities/skills. He reminded her to keep the muzzle pointed down range and to come and get him if she had any issues. Before she leaves the counter she is joined by another younger looking woman they both get eyes and ears and proceed to the firing line.

As luck would have it I am assigned the shooting position right next to them. I take my time to set up my area so that I could observe the young women. After a short time one of them ask for my assistance loading the .22 magazine and I happily assisted. The young lady that paid the clerk fired off a couple of rounds and then hands the pistol to the younger lady who is wearing a sun dress. The lady in he sun dress fired off two quick shots and then screams as a piece of hot brass falls down her dress. She wheels around toward me with the pistol still in hand and finger on the trigger. I'm screaming whoa, whoa...point that thing down range you just sweep everyone in here with that pistol. She places the pistol on the mat and says that she is done. The first shooter shoots a few more rounds and they leave.

Sorry for rambling on, but wouldn't it be nice if the public range could be divided into areas for novices that could be supervised by range personnel and a area for more experienced shooters? Between having my target shot by people in the lanes next to me and the Russian roulette that you have to play just to get some practice the fees for MSSA are looking more affordable every time that I go to the range.

I know what you mean. Going to the range is love hate for me. Were you at Range USA or Rangemaster if you don't mind me asking? Range USA does have that other smaller range that I am pretty sure only gets use in classes or busy nights. Maybe you could request to be put in there if you go in the mornings.

I know what you mean. Going to the range is love hate for me. Were you at Range USA or Rangemaster if you don't mind me asking? Range USA does have that other smaller range that I am pretty sure only gets use in classes or busy nights. Maybe you could request to be put in there if you go in the mornings.

It was Range USA. This post was not a knock on them, because they have always treated me and my family with great customer service. We were on the small range because they had a large class this morning.

MSSA? That's never come up before :). You should find a way.

It's not a big hit on me, but I always prefer to buy more hardware. I may put my 357 lever action rifle on hold and take the plung this year.

Edited by LINKS2K

It was Range USA. This post was not a knock on them, because they have always treated me and my family with great customer service. We were on the small range because they had a large class this morning.

Oh yeah definitely not! They run a fine operation there. I guess I didn't realize they did morning classes. I have take SSS Handgun 1 and 2 there and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Oh yeah definitely not! They run a fine operation there. I guess I didn't realize they did morning classes. I have take SSS Handgun 1 and 2 there and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yeah, training with Chip is worth The price of admission.

Edited by LINKS2K
  • Like 1

Even with a range officer present, unsafe acts will happen. While we often expect novices may make an unsafe act, I'm sure most of us have seen similar actions from shooters who should be more qualified. Too often infrequent shooters perform unsafe actions, due to their inexperience.

Edited by tnhawk

Can't have a separate area for novices. The reason? Because no one would admit they are novices.

Nearly every trip I see safety issues. I have seen stuff that was so bad I left the range because I didn't want to have to call the ambulance.

Dolomite

Good point.

All of the uber leet tactical operator mall ninja shooters out there might not like it but I sometime long for the way things used to be at the Shelby County public range.

There was an RO that called hot or cold and kept an eye on everyone, always. It may have taken a little longer to shoot but it was much safer.