Memphis & Shelby County CLEO signatures/fingerprints

I see a lot of questions pop up about how to do these in various places so I thought I would give a run down of the process for people in Shelby County.

The first step should be to fill out as much of your forms as you can. You can download pdf's of forms from several sources but I prefer to have the ATF send me forms. I use their request site to order about 20 of whatever form I want so I have some extras. This is especially important for fingerprint cards since they must have the correct ORI number on them.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/dcof/

Once your forms are adequately filled out, go to your bank or walmart and pick up a money order for 40 dollars. I'll explain why in just a second.

After your leave the bank, take your forms and fingerprints to 201 Poplar, but not the court building. You will be going to the Shelby County Jail. The Poplar side of the building is faced with glass so so you will easily know which building it is. You are going to the R&I office. You will need to get a "No Wants/No Warrants" (background check) and the two fingerprint cards filled out here. This building is much more strict than the court building so leave your cell phone as well as your knives and guns in your car. I prefer to park at 201 Washington on the top level. Thats where all the cops park.

The background check is 20 dollars and they only take money orders or cashiers checks. The fingerprint cards are 15 for the first card and 5 for each subsequent card. Also only payable by cashiers check or money order. Thats where the 40 dollar money order from earlier comes into play. You will have to wait a while for this part. In addition to handling paperwork for you, they are also handling paperwork for hundreds of criminals. Its best to get there early and you won't wait as long.

Once you've gotten your print cards completed and your background check, you are going to take a hike back over to the court building of 201. Take the elevator up to the 10th floor. One side, you will see the MPD records office and across from that is the Sheriff's office. Take your Form 1 or Form 4 to the window along with your background check and just let the lady in the window know that it needs to be signed. She will pass it on to a Sergeant or Lieutenant and they will sign it and hand it back to you along with a letterhead saying that you have a clean background. Once, they wanted to ask me a few questions before they signed but that hasn't happened since.

It's a pretty easy process but only if you know what to do the first time around.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic