buying guns?

Guest kwikrnu

Guest kwikrnu

I'm not a gunshop whore. I go on occasion to gun shops because I like to see what is available. Many times I'll see people come in and bring a gun to sell to the shop. Usually the shop offers next to nothing, many times they'll offer to put it on consignment. Last week I was at a shop and a woman came in said her late husband had many guns and she wondered if the shop might buy them.

Has anyone here ever asked these people what they had to sell and how much they were willing to take? I'm pretty sure the gun shop wouldn't like that, but my best interests are not the gun shops best interests.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very uncouth to do that. Same thing as if I came to your business and asked for your competitors phone number and asked them to price match over the phone in front of you. Integrity is more important than saving a few bucks.

But you may think it ok.

Guest eyebedam
It's very uncouth to do that. Same thing as if I came to your business and asked for your competitors phone number and asked them to price match over the phone in front of you. Integrity is more important than saving a few bucks.

But you may think it ok.

I kinda agree with what your saying but what about this perspective. Cust walks in gets offered the extreme lowball so cust walks out with their guns. Kwik leaves the store & offers them a better deal in the parking lot & they do buisness. Does that make kwik wrong? The store owner had the oppourtunity to buy them but chose to lowball in turn Kwik got a good deal on a gun. I can see somewhat his point in his post. About a year ago I was at a store & a guy had a real nice Stainless Kimber 45. The store offered him 240.00 he came back with I really need 350.00 to pay some bills. They told him they could get those all day long for that price. Just some food for thought not trying to get anything started.

Guest kwikrnu

Maybe not inside on the counter exchanging money for the gun but I thought outside would be okay. Isn't this the same sort of thing as going to a shop trying a gun out in yur hand then buying online?

Doing it inside the place of business would be wrong IMO.

YMMV.

I think after the store has offered their best and the seller refuses and starts to leave, it is open game. I am not so sure that the store would mind you paying "too much" after they refused to pay it.

Now it would be wrong if the store employee said I will give you $240, and then you but in and say "I'll give you $250. That is an invite to get a ban from a gun store.

Guest Grout
I kinda agree with what your saying but what about this perspective. Cust walks in gets offered the extreme lowball so cust walks out with their guns. Kwik leaves the store & offers them a better deal in the parking lot & they do buisness. Does that make kwik wrong? The store owner had the oppourtunity to buy them but chose to lowball in turn Kwik got a good deal on a gun. I can see somewhat his point in his post. About a year ago I was at a store & a guy had a real nice Stainless Kimber 45. The store offered him 240.00 he came back with I really need 350.00 to pay some bills. They told him they could get those all day long for that price. Just some food for thought not trying to get anything started.

First I would not deal with the guys who low balled the Kimber.The Kimber owner knew what the gun was worth but he needed cash and that was a rock bottom quick sell price,I know I have been there myself a time or two.I hate people who try to take advantage of someone when they are down on their luck.They could have gave the guy what he wanted and made a good profit.

Guest eyebedam
Where's the $350 Kimber? I'll take it!

Im just sayin.

Its a secret I cant tell you. All I know is that it is not in a closet somewhere on my property

If your doing business inside another persons place of business that is counter-productive to what they are doing that is just plain wrong and you really need to look in the mirror if you think its right. You keep your mouth shut and wait for the Proprietor to do their "spiel" and have their chance. If they get turned down then you go outside and make a better offer. Do not be disrespectful plain and simple unless of course you just lack integrity. You wanna do crap like that go to a gunshow or a public auction.

I'm with the guys on this.... If the guy turned down the gunshops' offer because it was rediculous..then I would have walked outside and made the offer to him...though I think I'm more generous. I would give him the caveat of buying it back should he get out of the fix he was in...yah, it's a Kimber but guess what? that guy probably uses it for defense. you'd have to be in a pretty bad fix to sell your carry pistol.

Guest darkstar

Bad Karma trying to muscle into the gun shops business while inside store, but I don't see a problem with asking outside if one is discrete, gun store may get ticked off even on their premisis (and to be honest I wouldn't blame them).

One thing to remember (and I don't work for any gun store) is that your always gonna do better selling ftf to an individual. A gun store will start at a wholesale price then go down depending on condition of the gun. If they can get a brand new firearm X (with a warranty, etc etc ) for $400 say, why would they give you $450 for your used one? There are some gun stores that will try and low ball trades hoping to cash in on someone that is desperate to make a sale or otherwise un-informed, you can figure out places like that quick. The key is to find a good, reputable gun store that will treat you right.

Guest mikedwood
I've thought about doing this in a pawn shop, but I didn't feel it would be the right thing to do.

Gun shops, on the other hand--that would be perfectly exceptable.:)

I think it's against the law to do it at or around a pawn shop. At least the pawn shops say it is.

I think it's against the law to do it at or around a pawn shop. At least the pawn shops say it is.

What shoudl be against the law is the way they get away with stealing from honest folk.

But no it's not against the law for you to out bid them on an item.

What shoudl be against the law is the way they get away with stealing from honest folk.

But no it's not against the law for you to out bid them on an item.

Stealing??!?!?!? Typically the people that use a pawn shop on a regular basis have such bad credit(and have screwed over so many other lenders) that even their own family wont help them out. You have to sign paperwork showing how much the interest is and what you are going to end up paying. I hate all these people saying "they ripped me off". No, you ripped yourself off. Its your choice whether or not you want that high interest loan or want to give your sons Playstation away for $10.00 People need to take responsibility for their own actions and their own lot in life.

Guest Boomhower
Maybe not inside on the counter exchanging money for the gun but I thought outside would be okay. Isn't this the same sort of thing as going to a shop trying a gun out in yur hand then buying online?

I think you make two very good points with this one statement....for a change.

Stealing??!?!?!? Typically the people that use a pawn shop on a regular basis have such bad credit(and have screwed over so many other lenders) that even their own family wont help them out. You have to sign paperwork showing how much the interest is and what you are going to end up paying. I hate all these people saying "they ripped me off". No, you ripped yourself off. Its your choice whether or not you want that high interest loan or want to give your sons Playstation away for $10.00 People need to take responsibility for their own actions and their own lot in life.

Ok, I know a vast majority of the people useing a pawn shop are low lifes and druggies, That aside, I worked in one for over a year and there are times when someone that is a good person uses the pawn shop and they really don't understand what is being charged to them.

Pawnshops, check cashing places and title pawn shops are nothing more than legal loan sharking. Sure there is a place for them but I don't use them. I have bought a bunch of stuff from pawn shops and probally would if the proper deal presented itself but I won't use one for borrowing.

In a years time you would not beleive the drunks, drug addicts, and right out thieves I had to deal with.

Guest GregRN
People need to take responsibility for their own actions and their own lot in life.

Amen!!!

And I agree, take it outside and offer what you will. Inside, it would be wrong (Pawn shop or Gun shop).