Anyone have an RIA .22TCM or know anything about them?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need a .22TCM Glock barrel for one of my 8 9mm Glocks. I would be loving this if I could get a 6" or 6.5" .22TCM barrel for one of my G17Ls. Then there is the question of ammo availability. Then there is the question of why I can't get an AR upper in .22TCM.

I read that they are currently developing a .22TCM carbine. Not sure about an AR upper though. I also read about a Vmax round coming that will push 2400 fps from that 1911. I'll try to find that article. I know there were alot of folks wishing for a .22TCM barrel for their Glocks in some forums I found. I think it's an interesting round and it's on a 1911 frame to boot. I'm gonna ride up to Nashville tomorrow and get my hands on one and check it out in person.

I imagine out of a carbine length barrel this thing would be moving. I imagine it is about the same as a 5.7x28 except in a inexpensive platform. If it is a blowback carbine it will likely be tempermental. And a gas gun would work but it too would be finicky. With such a lightweight bullet and a small case there is going to have to be some serious R&D.

I have also read they are getting ready to produce reloading dies for the caliber as well. Making brass out of cheap 9mm would be great but I suspect the standard 9mm case is too short to work. But that would mitigate the cost of shooting it.

Necking down pistol calibers has been around for a long time. I can remember when I was young drooling over "varmint" 1911's that were in the magazines. It had a 10"-12" barrel with a scope rail. The calibers were all based on either a necked down 45 ACP. They had a 22, 25, 30, 35 and 40 calibers. There might have been a few other calibers but I don't recal them. The slide was a standard slide and it looked like any other 1911 except it had a longer barrel.

Next time I see a bunch of 80's gun magazines I will see if I can find the ad. It was in almost every magazine throughout the 80s's.

Dolomite

there's a fella on XDtalk that got one.

It's a neat caliber...definitely want a press for it due to the availability. Ammo prices aren't much worse than .45 though really.

I'm interested. I wanna see if they make the new double stack 2011 chambered in it. That'd be fun.

Edited by DevJames

.224 boz was based off of a 10mm case requiring a large frame.

If anyone is interested, .22tcm is the same as .22 micromag

The original 224 was based on the 10mm but difficulties necessitated and they redesigned it based on the 9x19.

Edited by Caster

Looks kinda neat. I've thought for a long time that necking down a 7.62x25 to .224" would be fun to do. I just lack the resources. I wonder why they didn't go that route. Then tinkerers like me could form brass from the Tok round. Would need to be shortened as well, to fit in most handgun mags.

I went out to do a little research on these and I am surprised at how little my local shops know about them. In fact, I went to 4 different shops and not one of them had even heard of this caliber. They all seemed interested when I told them about it and they all went to the computer and looked it up immediately. That being said, I think I'm going to the shop in Nashville that I found that actually has this gun in stock so I can take a look at one in person. I may end up picking one up.