Multiple checkpoints in one day... Video

I love it! Yet another reason NOT to live or even visit California! My Mom and Dad went out west two years ago and was stunned at how many times they were pulled over in NORTHERN New Mexico and NORTHERN Arizona by ICE at these check points. Apparently they are allover the Southwest!

Guest 6.8 AR

I guess it's profiling to understand about his plain english, and doesn't look like someone from south of the border. I was waiting for one of the badges to reach in and grab him. Glad that didn't happen.

Edited by 6.8 AR
Guest AmericanWorkMule

Many years ago, when I was 18 coming back from Padre Island Texas on Spring Break, I went through one of these checkpoints where they were asking (supposedly every car) for registration and proof of insurance.

Could I have just said "No, Thanks" and "Am I free to go?"

I've never been through one, but is it the same with DUI check points?

Edited by AmericanWorkMule
Guest Lester Weevils

Dunno if it is more or less enforcement traffic down by the TX border nowadays. In the late 1970's I played music on the road in TX for most of a year. The booking agent actually got it right on occasion and one stint we traveled different hotel and club gigs from Corpus Christi to Harlington then towns along the border out to Del Rio.

For a poorly-traveled TN boy is was kinda science fiction on the roads and highways along the border because Immigration patrols and highway stops were about EVERYWHERE. 24/7. Seemed so strange to see so many Feds in the process of traffic stops on the side of the road or how common it was for a clump of fed cars and paddy wagons to pass on the highway with lights flashing. Not saying it was either good or bad. Just that the scene had kind of an iron curtain "papers please" vibe traveling those roads. I guess you would get used to it, and the border does have to be enforced.

Guest kingarmory

Border Patrol checkpoint along I-8 going from here in Casa Grande to San Diego. I absolutely despise dealing with them

From 2003 to 2006 I lived in Austin and used to hunt about 40 miles north of Del Rio and we got stopped all the time going way over the 70 mile speed limit and most of the time they never even asked for license just shined a light around for illegals and let us go. The stretch of road it usually happened on was a long straight rd to no where.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

Good for him. Could've been a bit nicer about it but good for him none the less.

I agree. It isn't the fault of the LEOs on the checkpoint that they are there so I don't see the point of getting snarky until such time as they say something looney like "you have to show me or I will detain you." Of course, I don't know how well I'd keep my composure if I had to stop and show proof of citizenship 3 times on my commute to work.

If anything, this video makes clear that you don't have to show your "papers." I think he hit the nail on the head at the beginning of the video where he told the officer he had the right to ask if he's a US citizen. Clearly the officers (or at least the supervisors) knew that he had the right to refuse as he was let go in both cases without detainment or illegal search. Not quite "Nazi" Germany... if it was he would have either been beaten severely or shot for arguing with the law. An LEO can ask me anything he wants whether it be political affiliation, sexual preference, admission of guilt, permission to search or whether or not I'm a "boob" or a "leg" man. I don't have to answer any of that, but I can if I want to.

On another note, I don't believe that looking latino or having an accent is reasonable suspicion for a stop. As much as I believe we should have better immigration policies (or at least illegal immigration policies), that doesn't mean that a US citizen should be subject to stop/search/proof of citizenship/residency because of their skin color or accent.

I am glad to see that. Unless you are breaking a law they should not even try to detain you. Welcome to the new America where you have to show your papers. It will only get worse.

We are dangerously close to becoming a police state if it hasn't already happened.

I see all kinds of videos like this and I just don't understand why people have this much trouble. I have been questioned by cops without ever giving my name or licence. I have been pulled over at these kind of checkpoints before and when they asked if I was a citizen, I just said " is that what this is? Man it really sucks you have to be out here doing this." The officer just simple said yeah it does and sent me on my way. A friend of the family works for DOD near the border and knows a lot of the cops that run the checks and they said run your plate while they are talking to you so pretty much any conversation will do. I have had several encounters at check points and never once gave my ID and never gave any trouble to the cops that are just doing there jobs.

Edited by Lions Fan