Anyone here have a FFL for personal use?

Guest STO_Principal

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They do want you to act as a business even if its just to do transfer's. After your transfer a gun into your personal inventory you cannot sell it for 1 year. Im thinking about getting mine for the extra income. If you run it out of your home you have to make sure there are no zoning issues. They do want to see a business license.

back in 1980 i got my ffl. at that time i used it to buy reloading items, you got the reloading items cheaper with one. me and the wife shot in many pistol and rifle matches and i was reloading everday. i setup a business and ran it out of my home. did not have to do much in those days, cheap and easy. sold some guns, paid my taxes, did the atf paperwork, etc... life was good. then when clinton came around things changed. the rules got harder to follow, price of renew went up, home was not zone as a business zone for a gun store, taxes went up, etc.... so i turned the ffl in. to day if you don't have a store and a real business i feel it is not worth the problems. just easy to find some one to do a transfer for you and you can get good gun prices off the net.

I am interested in getting a FFL for my personal use? Does anyone have information on obtaining this license?

It is not legal to have an FFL unless you are running a business. I would advise against trying to go this route unless you really do intend to run a business. ATF has successfuly jailed folks for this.

I called the ATF office in Brentwood TN to ask about a home FFL. They said most cities and towns in TN have ordinances prohibiting a home FFL.. I asked if I lived in the county is it possible and he said you would need to actually run a business and not just use it for a hobby. You would need to prove to the ATF that you are running a business.

The ATF is not granting "dinner table FFL's" anymore. They are trying to weed out the ones that exist. You now have to have a brick and mortar store front before they will even interview with you. Those days of personal FFL's are gone. Besides many of those folk got into trouble over their A&D logs. It's a lot of work to do on a personal level.

The ATF is not granting "dinner table FFL's" anymore. They are trying to weed out the ones that exist. You now have to have a brick and mortar store front before they will even interview with you. Those days of personal FFL's are gone. Besides many of those folk got into trouble over their A&D logs. It's a lot of work to do on a personal level.

Leonard just got a FFL and he doesn’t have a store. Judging from his website he isn’t seriously trying to get any business.

Leonard just got a FFL and he doesn’t have a store. Judging from his website he isn’t seriously trying to get any business.

Well, as Leonard goes ... sort of. :) He had his property rezoned commercial to accommodate the criteria. He is not a normal case.

Edited by Smith

When did they start this ? A friend from work who has an ffl and does it out of his home in GA had no issues with home based, they did require that he have a business license and there were no zoning issues that was it. This was close to a year ago. I also deal with a home based ffl in hixson.

When did they start this ? A friend from work who has an ffl and does it out of his home in GA had no issues with home based, they did require that he have a business license and there were no zoning issues that was it. This was close to a year ago. I also deal with a home based ffl in hixson.

And by when did they start this I mean the brick and mortar store front.

They didn’t start it; they just started complying with city codes. For example, in Murfreesboro they have a list of certain businesses you can’t have in a home in a residential area; gun dealer is one of them. It’s more what your local laws allow than what the ATF allows. If your local codes allow you to get a business license for a gun shop in your home; you probably wouldn’t have any trouble from the ATF.

They didn’t start it; they just started complying with city codes. For example, in Murfreesboro they have a list of certain businesses you can’t have in a home in a residential area; gun dealer is one of them. It’s more what your local laws allow than what the ATF allows. If your local codes allow you to get a business license for a gun shop in your home; you probably wouldn’t have any trouble from the ATF.

According to what the ATF told us they started trying to get rid of them last year.

This was the response I got from the ATF when I spoke with them a few months ago. He never said it cannot be done, he just said that all local ordinances need to be followed.

I think you would be able to get the FFL for gun smithing to get around the gun sales restriction?

I had thought about getting the FFL123 kit online which supposedly walks you through getting a license in any zip code in the US for a home based business. Decided it really wasn't worth the hassle to save 30% on firearms when you can get them fore a little over 10% over cost online.

Went with a C&R instead so should still be able to save on parts and ammo and what not.

Also anyone else think its a bit fishy to join onto a forum and make one post asking if anyone cares to admit to breaking gun control policy?

Interesting indeed. On an unrelated subject, people here own guns? I know I sure don't have any!