Caney Fork River

Folks, does anyone on here Trout fish the Caney Fork? Timestepper introduced me to the Clinch, Spots introduced me to Poplar Creek....I'm in need of a "Caney Fork" fix!!

Any info will be appreciated!

Dave

(931)494-1612

Sent from my Dell Desktop using the Keyboard

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

I fished for years by walking in from the rest stop. Great trout fishing.

I'll give the fishery management guys some props, too. They've been doing a good job mananging that river. We're starting to see some great fish coming out of the caney fork.

On my way to the Clinch, I came across a Rest Area on I-40 near the Caney. There was a sign that said "Anglers Parking". Is that the place? I'm also interested in the Center Hill Dam area. I've contacted a few Officers on info.

Thanks for the info you have shared.

Dave

(931)494-1626

Sent from my Dell Desktop using the Keyboard.

• Admin Team

That's it. They set aside parking for people fishing.

There is certainly better fishing downstream, but for "I'd like to trout fish, leave my house in Nashville and be in the water and throwing flies in less than an hour" I've never been disappointed.

That's it. They set aside parking for people fishing.

There is certainly better fishing downstream, but for "I'd like to trout fish, leave my house in Nashville and be in the water and throwing flies in less than an hour" I've never been disappointed.

Thanks for the info. I'm just learning "Trout Fishing", so all the info I get is appreciated. For me here in Clarksville, it only seemed like a 2 hour drive. Just a "smidgen" past Lebanon. The internet has very little info on the Caney Fork. One of our Officer's that live in Sparta, posted some pics on Facebook of some really nice Trout he and his Wife caught over the weekend at Caney. Waiting for him to get back with me!

Dave

(931)494-1626

• Admin Team

There are a couple of really good guides who operate on the Caney Fork.

It's interesting that now that we're starting to pull some pretty good brown trouts out of the river, we're starting to get pressure from people who are travelling from all over the nation to fish it.

There are also some great outfitters on the Caney Fork. For a first time learn about the river kind of trip, I'd gladly rent a canoe, fish and let them shuttle me back to my car at the end of the day.

http://www.canoethecaney.com/site/index.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=18

http://caneyforkriverrunners.com/CaneyForkRiverGuides/CaneyForkRiverRegulations.html

Of course, if you're swinging through Nashville on your way, you're welcome to come by and grab my canoe.

I have a canoe and would love to share the trip with an experienced person. I just don't know nothing about where to put in, where to take out, wade fishing or nothing. Seems like the ol'Caney is a secret!

Timestepper has invited me back to the Clinch for a float trip. I was shooting for the end of August/First of September...but that is up in the air right now. I'm going as soon as I can though. The Caney is close enough for a "day trip". We'll see when I can make it.

Dave

(931)494-1626

WD,

Go to Littleriveroutfitters.com and go to the forum page there is some info on the Caney Fork. I have fished from the Dam, down to the rest stop. There is plenty of fish-able river below the rest stop, but you need to know where access .

Are you fly fishing or using spinning gear?

I really like the little bright colored (trout patter) rooster tails, with both silver and gold spoons. Cast and the tail of runs, where swift water dumps into a large pool. Trout will sit there and feed. Also if you see a channel of swift water cast in the pocket on either side of the sift. Trout will sit there and feed as well.

I fly fish so i am usually difting stuff down stream in these areas. If you are spin fishing its much easier to fish large pools and areas of deeper water. fishing the down stream side of the concrete bridge abutments is always good too.

Best way, is to drive down and give it a shot. Head MacGyvers advice though, water can rise quickly so find a reference spot on the bank or bridge and keep and eye on it. Also check TVA generation schedule on their website.

I used to fish the Caney some. It's pretty easy to fish. I believe the rest stop is at mile marker 267 and it is accessible from both east and west bound lanes. You can get off of 40 at Buffalo Valley Road, exit 268, bear right, go to the split and take a left, in about a 1/2 mile you should see a sign for the dam. You can drive right down to the access and there is lots of room to bank fish or wade. I canoed the whole thing once but don't really recommend it unless you like paddling a lot of still water. The last 5 miles before you hit the Cumberland doesn't have much current at all.

You can also access quite a bit of bank by taking hwy 96 over the dam and immediately turning right onto hwy 141. There is a nice little place to fish right there by the camp ground.

Thanks for the info guys! I'll make me a Caney trip in the very near future. I have heard that the "generation schedule" is damn sure handy to know!

Thanks again!

Dave

(931)494-1626

Sent from my Dell Desktop using the Keyboard.

• Admin Team

Anyone know about camping options on the Caney - public or private? We're trying to get a float trip up for September, and are a little limited on what's going to have enough water with our recent lack of rain. The Caney would be a good option.

When I canoed the Caney Fork my group camped on the side of the river. Wasn't really a designated camping spot and I don't remember seeing any. Looked like it backed up to a cattle farm, I'm not really sure if it was okay for us to be there or not.