Started a canoe build last night.

For a while now I have wanted a canoe but didn't want to spend a whole lot on one. Due to this I came up with the idea that I would build one instead and maybe learn some new skills on the way. I'm far from being a great carpenter, and I know just enough to get myself in trouble. Anyway here is the picture of the completed frame awaiting the stringers, seat, Indian ends, and covering. I'll put up more pictures as I get the chance.

canoepicone.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strip planking is a good option, too.

I've got plans to build a Grand Laker one of these days.

I originally started out to build a strip canoe, but it's more time and work than I have right now. That might be the next project though. This one I wanted to be more of a proof of concept with a different construction method that is a little faster. Or my next one is going to be another skin on frame canoe, but only with using steamed and bent wood versus bending on the form.

You're gonna run outta room to work really fast there bud.

Don't even joke about that. Haha but yeah I have about six feet behind me and six at the end of the canoe. It will have to be moved outside this week when it stops raining. Some of the stuff in the shed/garage needs to go though.

If you're really looking for the most durable coating. A couple of layers of two-part epoxy like West System 105 then covered with a layer of paint for UV protection is your best bet.

That would be a great way to go but from what I'm reading several layers of latex paint will last a while.
  • Admin Team

That would be a great way to go but from what I'm reading several layers of latex paint will last a while.

As long as you're really careful about fairing and sanding around your tacks so that you don't go through the canvas, and you stay mostly on flatwater, you should be okay. They were built with paint for a long time. Epoxy resins do add a lot of durability and resiliency for not a lot of cost, though.

This is definitely just one of the on the lake canoes. Next one though will be a lot stronger and with better materials. This one right now is totaling about 70 dollars which I'm fine with because I am trying to see how quickly and inexpensively I can build one.

I wonder how much that would affect drag on the hull?

Lay it on thick and sand it smooth after it's cured. If you get a wild hair you could even wet sand it down to about 2K grit and use a fill and glaze or 3M polishing compound and make it slicker 'n owl :poop: