Camo or not to camo

I was in line at some store the other day and the guy in front of me pulls out his camo wallet and my first thought was "I'd drop that in the woods and NEVER find it." It got me to thinking.

Now, I'm not a hunter and I understand that most of the camo you find around is for decoration only, like on your trucks trim and such, but my question is WHY would you want your wallet, your gun, ammo bag or anything of value that you might risk losing decorated in camo?

I could see myself dropping my camo wallet in the forest and never seeing it again or dropping a camo shotgun in a pile of leaves at the end of the day and having trouble finding it in low light. I'd think you'd want your wallet, your gun and anything of value in a bright safety orange or something equally obvious to see against a background of brown and green.

Am I wrong? School me.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ochretoe

I dropped a cammo wallet in the woods and never did find it. I was only 20 but it was a PITA getting everything everything replaced. As for cammo hunting gear and bags, when in the woods I don't want to be seen at all unless I am in orange durring deer season. But knives and wallets should be easy to find.

Please tell me you 2 are kidding....

Not every critter sees only B&W. But a camo wallet is just a novelty. I like Caster's idea. Zip it all up inside a vest pocket.

ETA:

Specifically, many birds see colors. So ducks, geese, turkeys, etc. Anything you need to ambush that flies you need to be pretty much invisible until they're in your sights*. Upland birds like pheasant and chucker usually sit still in the grass. Who cares if they see you or not because they won't move until you or your dog just about step on them.

Deer and other tasty things that don't see color still see patterns. That's why you'll see blaze orange camo patters. The lines break up the human shape, but the walking dinners don't notice the orange.

*TWRA regs say 500 sq/in of blaze orange on the upper body for hunting big game except turkey and big game archery when there's no overlap with any other big game gun season. So for ducks and such, hunters wear the orange per TWRA requirement, then can hide in a blind.

Edited by monkeylizard

For turkeys, it's supposed to help. Their heads are nothing but beak and eyeballs. Every little advantage helps.

That said, plenty of turkeys were taken before the advent of camo guns by simple black shottys or blued and wood ones. Those are pretty natural colors though. I wouldn't try to hunt a turkey with a Hello Kitty pink shotgun, even if it's in a tiger stripe pattern.

If you decide to try turkey hunting and don't already have a shotgun that would work, you may as well get a camo pattern one.

Edited by monkeylizard

I wouldn't personally own anything camoflauge, but anyone who's ever bought me a gift seems to think since I'm a gun guy, and deer hunt, that something; ANYTHING camo would make the perfect gift. Now, if you need a wallet, and have one laying around someone gave you, would you use it, or trash it and go out and buy another one in a different color?

Striking fear into the hearts of burglars everywhere. Also available in AR, AK, 1911 and Taser flavors.

RWC-SG-HELLK-L.jpg

My wife said "Let them laugh, it gives me more time to get on target. Pink guns still shoot real bullets!!!!"

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by jtmaze