"Glock Haters"

Guest No Ammo

I have been on and off the Glock wagon in the last few years. Lately, i took a large drink of the koolaid. After being in a potential SD situation, i realized i don't have the muscle memory for a thumb saftey prior to firing (glad i was in the room with a glock at the time-i swear i would have forgotten the safety on a 1911). At this point, i made the glock platform my primary carry gun and home defense pistol. I really like the fact i can carry a G26 with a G19 magazine. This gives me 26 rounds in a compact platform. In addition to that, my wife understands and feels comferable with glocks--point and shoot. I sure wouldn't want to cross her and her G19 after dark.......

My favorite SD gun is my old Blunderbuss. Never had to use it but if I did I imagine I would get first shot what with the distraction and all- you know, laughing, or bug-eyed disbelief, or hell- with a bore size like that they might even think you are fixin' to let go a light, anti-turd scratch-off missile and run! First shot can make all the difference you know and a little extra powder with a double load of Post Grape Nuts and they'd be pickin' that grain out from under their eyelids for long enough I could reload. Dry Grape-Nuts have gotta hurt real BAD and the incident would likely go well in court since you'd be usin' non-lethal but skin & eyes-burnt-to-hell ammo. I heard Colt is gonna make a new one in 2013 that is rated for roofing nails so it will be a serious I-mean-to-get-em gun. First run might be a little buggy...................................................

I reckon Glocks would be ok too.

Guest HvyMtl

My 2 Cents: Glock had a BRILLIANT, and I honestly mean BRILLIANT, way of getting into the market and selling pistols. They went to the the police departments, sold them at a very low cost, then used the "Police prefer Glocks" theme to sell to the general public. Kudos to their marketing department.

This said, I too do not like the grips. One of the key points in purchasing a firearm is it has to be "comfortable" in your hand. If it is not comfortable, you wont shoot it as much. A bad thing for a personal defense weapon. This is a personal preference.

The other thing, though they may have changed it, was you had to pull the trigger to break the firearm down to clean. I find any firearm you have to do this with, which does not have some way to prevent accidental firing, a safety hazard.

Also, the ease of getting the trigger hung on something, causing the Glock to fire, like other pistols without safeties, is a concern.

Are they reliable? Yes. Are they accurate? Yes.

Do I want one? Not really.

Do I care if you buy one, or not buy one? I prefer you buy what you find safe, reliable, comfortable, accurate, and fitting for you for the purpose you purchased it for. If it is a Glock, buy it. If it is a 1911, buy it.

I have several different brands of 1911 pistols, as well as several other brands of pistols and revolvers. I haven't found it necessary to hate one brand or another and don't understand this need in some people. Some fit my needs better than others, just as I prefer some brands of tools or cars over others. When I travel, I'm not going to walk because a rental car company doesn't have my preference in cars available. I may be addicted to guns, but not to any one brand.

I hated Glocks for years.

Then I actually shot one. Then I bought one. And another...

...and I found out how junky other designs are.

:cheers: Here's to me being wrong.

Casters great pronouncement above wuz me for a long time. I grew up on smiths, colts, and rugers, and wondered to myself who would buy such an ignorant thing as a glock.

Several years ago, i found myself needing a small powerful carry pistol that didnt cost an arm and a leg. My smith model 36 wuz (...and is...) a great thing, but it probably wouldnt shoot thru a car door. It also only holds five rounds; and the thinkin was that i might need two of 'em down "across the tracks" where there could be several hoodlums about; and i wuz runnin out of pockets to carry 'em in..

An ole buddy of mine solved this problem by selling me a glock 33 at a price i couldnt afford not to take. I rounded up the reloading stuff and went to work. I soon found out why glocks are, in fact, the tomorrow of self defense (...and military....) handguns. They are incredibly reliable, stupendously accurate, reasonably priced, and full of death as a drug store. Ten shots (...thats two model 36's full of high velocity hoodlum removal pills....) in one compact little pistol that looks for all the world like a combination of green tupperware and scrap iron. Ya just cant beat that combination. Now our little herd of glocks has went from one to three; and were lookin for a 45 acp right now (...hopefully a glock 36....). To say a glock is ugly and utilitarian is a truth. To say a glock is not reliable, powerful, ergonomically correct, dangerous to potential evildooers (...in the right hands, of course....), or accurate is baloney.

Now to the most important part of this post. To pharaphrase what a great poster once posed on a similar thread RE: this very subject here a year or two ago:

"...You know, glocks aint worth a damn and they are dangerous to handle. Please ship them to me for disposal and ill take care of it for ya, so ya wont get hurt. ....".

leroy

• Like 1

I prefer a gun that does not malfunction when limp wristing when your grip is not ideal.

I carried and trust my life to Glock while overseas. It was reliable every time I shot it but that was always on a range. I even carried one here for a long time so I could keep some continuity as far as muscle memory goes.

When I quit carry one for work I quit carrying one for off duty.

They are a great fun but not without flaws and failing to cycle when limp wristing is a serious one. Every gun has its flaws. It anything to do with reliability is a no go in my book.

And trust me you may not have an ideal grip when the moment you need the gun arises.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

Interesting video that doesn't concern me all that much. Gotta give credit to the HK. Note that the 5906 weighs 10oz more than the plastic guns. Also note that the Glocks didn't fail until a few rounds were gone from the mags. Revealing test, just not a deal breaker for me.

That limp wrist test is a little surprising to me since I've tried to make my 4th Gen 17 to fail and couldn't. My test was not as radical as this one. I just used what I considered to be a soft, left-handed grip. I was never able to get my 17 or 19 to have an issue although I did get my 26 to stovepipe on the last round in the magazine. My test may not be as rigorous as the one in the video but I guess if I can't hold a pistol softly with my weak-hand, I probably have no business shooting. This have me thinking though... I don't have my 26 anymore as a switched to a 27 when I got a 4th Gen. It works well but I'll have to do some intentional soft-shooting next time I get to the range. If I go soon I'll post up some feedback.

Edited by JReedEsq

That limp wrist test is a little surprising to me since I've tried to make my 4th Gen 17 to fail and couldn't. My test was not as radical as this one. I just used what I considered to be a soft, left-handed grip. I was never able to get my 17 or 19 to have an issue although I did get my 26 to stovepipe on the last round in the magazine. My test may not be as rigorous as the one in the video but I guess if I can't hold a pistol softly with my weak-hand, I probably have no business shooting. This have me thinking though... I don't have my 26 anymore as a switched to a 27 when I got a 4th Gen. It works well but I'll have to do some intentional soft-shooting next time I get to the range. If I go soon I'll post up some feedback.

I would be willing to bet you have zero problems with the .40.

To say a glock is not...ergonomically correct...is baloney.

leroy

I must disagree. Such things can be relative to the individual and I must say that Glocks are not 'ergonomically correct' for me.

Until yesterday, it had been a few years since I had fired a Glock. Yesterday, I had an opportunity to fire one that was about as 'nice' as a Glock could be. Wanting to see if my feelings about the grip angle have changed, I was thankful for the chance. Now, I am no Glock aficionado so I don't know the model number and can only say that it seemed to be a 'full size' and was chambered in .40 S&W. When I say it was 'nice', I mean it was customized with a Ghost Rocket trigger, some A grip material on the grips and a few, other things that I can't recall. Seems like it had an aftermarket barrel, as well. It worked really well, as I expected. However, the grip angle still just did not work, for me. In fact, due to something about that angle, firing it hurt my wrist. Now, you might think that my wrist is possibly a bit 'sensitive' but that is not the case. See, there was another guy there who let me fire off a few full-house 180 grain .44 Magnum loads from his snubbie .44 Mag and it didn't hurt my wrist in the least. Slapped heck out of the webbing of my hand between my thumb and forefinger but didn't hurt my wrist at all.

It seems like, even putting my preference for hammers over strikers aside, a Glock still just isn't for me. Other than the wrist pain issue, this 'not exactly factory' one was so nice to shoot that I almost wish they were.

Edited by JAB

JAB:_____________

Sorry i miss-spoke. I'll fix it for ya:

"...To say a glock is ugly and utilitarian is a truth. To say a glock is not reliable, powerful, ergonomically correct (...for most folks.....), dangerous to potential evildooers (...in the right hands, of course....), or accurate is baloney.....".

Hows that?

leroy

Edited by leroy
  • Like 1

JAB:_____________

Sorry i miss-spoke. I'll fix it for ya:

"...To say a glock is ugly and utilitarian is a truth. To say a glock is not reliable, powerful, ergonomically correct (...for most folks.....), dangerous to potential evildooers (...in the right hands, of course....), or accurate is baloney.....".

Hows that?

leroy

You are well on your way to acheiving political correctness :)

I have tried out a number of different Glocks. The only ones i truly love is the subcompacts. The others just don't quite feel right. However the hump on the subs hits my hand in just the right place. When it comes to the full size models there are many other guns i would choose before a Glock. But, for carry i chose a G26.

I have tried out a number of different Glocks. The only ones i truly love is the subcompacts. The others just don't quite feel right. However the hump on the subs hits my hand in just the right place. When it comes to the full size models there are many other guns i would choose before a Glock. But, for carry i chose a G26.

I used to be the same way but I was forced to carry Glocks and my hands evolved to like the fullsize ones.

I was supposed to be interviewed for an episode of “Mail Call†back in 04 or 05. Never got the interview but got to speak with R. Lee Ermey. I didn’t know at the time he was a spokesperson for Glock and I was having an internal struggle between Glock and 1911’s. I asked his opinion; I already knew that it would be a 1911, not sure why I was wasting my time. To my amazement he said it was Glock’s. His reasoning was that you can pull any Glock off the shelf and it shoots the same as any other.

For the record, I have tried and tried to get comfortable with a Glock and just can’t. My trigger finger seems to go in at an angle and my middle finger rubs the trigger guard. I haven’t given up just yet, but we’ll see.

I've never owned a Glock.

I've never even fired a Glock.

I have absolutely no interest in Glocks.

Because of this, I've had people call me a Glock hater, or imply that I was afraid of Glocks, or couldn't handle their magnificent goodness.

Whatever . . . . :D

I've never owned a Glock.

I've never even fired a Glock.

I have absolutely no interest in Glocks.

Because of this, I've had people call me a Glock hater, or imply that I was afraid of Glocks, or couldn't handle their magnificent goodness.

Whatever . . . . :D

Low on craftsmanship, but a decent piece of engineering. It took me awhile to warm up to them. They're not as artful as any of my other pistols/revolvers. But, they always work, and my pants tend to stay up longer :)

• Like 1

OK so as a follow-up to Dolomite's "limp-wrist" video, I'd like to post up that I had a chance to run by CCA and I just put 100 rounds of 180 grain WWB through my Glock 27. I shot about 20 of those rounds with a weak, left-handed (I'm right handed) grip. While I didn't hold the pistol in the sideways manner of the video Dolomite posted, I did try to forget everything I've learned in the last few years about a proper shooting grip and hold it the pistol very loosely. The pistol shot fine. Again I didn't hold it sideways like the guy in the video but I tried to simulate the kind of weak grip I might use if I were injured etc.. One comment though. I did not enjoy shooting .40 out of a sub-compact this way. When I tried to intentionally limp-wrist my 9mm pistols I don't remember the pistol jumping around on me as much. As a matter of fact, putting 100 rounds of .40 through my 27 relatively quickly kind of made me miss my 26. For those not familiar with the model numbers, I had a subcompact 9mm and now I have a subcompact .40. While I can't tell much of a difference between the recoil of 9mm or .40 in full-size, I notice it in the small guns.

My shooting experience is insignificant compared with a lot of you guys but I like Glocks because they are simplier to learn than some semi-auto platforms, generally easier to shoot than revolvers, lightweight, easy to carry, and inexpensive. If I were to switch to anything else it would probably be Smith & Wesson M&P.

Edited by JReedEsq

Glocks are not a firearm to sit back and gaze at, they are a tool meant to be used. As long as the grip works for you (for instance I personally cant shoot a XD, feels like I am holding a cheap drill...).

My Glock 21C shoots more accurate and more reliably than any 1911 I have ever owned or shot (and I own and have shot quite a few in my days). My glock 19 is great cheap fun, my Glock 36 is probably the perfect carry gun (at least for me...). I have deer hunted with a Glock 20 its accurate, reliable and basically a hand held freight train.