Soda Blasting

Guest Grizzly Johnson

Guest Grizzly Johnson

Do any of you guys know a place that can do soda blasting or media blasting of gun parts in or around the Mid Tn area? Maybe around Murfreesboro.....?

Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you wanting blasted?

Might be cheaper to go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap snd blasting gun. They sell them for under $15 and are pretty much a one time use. They would probably last longer but they are made of plastic. That is if you have your own compressor. All in all you could do it for probably under $30. Make sure you wear a mask if you use sand as it can cause some very serious health problems if you don't.

Most gun shops will be able to media blast your gun, I assume it is a gun, for you wihout much fuss. You cannot just drop your gun off at a shop that does not have an FFL.

Dolomite

Regular old Arm & Hammer baking soda will make aluminum look like is was freshly cast. It's crazy how it works but it does.

Dolomite is right, just go to harbor freight and buy one for $20 or so and grab a few boxes of baking soda. It'll work.

Guest Grizzly Johnson

I have an AR that the previous owner painted with a tiger stripe pattern in OD & Tan paint...... wanted to redo it. It was really on there..... but finally found a spray can of cleaner that would take the paint off but not mess up the black coating on the aluminum of the upper & lower.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Since you found something that will work this may not matter, but don’t use that 80 grit media on gun parts. Use superfine glass bead (300 range), or baking soda may work fine if it will work in those blasters, I never tried it.

Any problems with inhaling soda?

I currently use wlanut and it can get dusty. If I have a lapse of memory I sometimes forget a mask. Not exactly the nices stuff to inhale.

Dolomite

It's sodium bicarbonate, which is water soluble, so it's not going to sit in your sinuses and lungs forever like a silicate. That said, I'd still wear a mask or respirator. Though baking soda is a pretty benign substance, we weren't built to inhale it, so take the easy protective steps.