6.8 range report for R11

RWF

got to take the 6.8 to range today. the weather was going in and out with the afternoon storms. the wind gave me hell. the rifle shot well but i caught hell with the windage. i sure any descent shooter could have done better, but i we all have our good days and bad on the range.

the rifle is a 6.8 Stag Hunter with a 20.75" 1 x 11 twist. Ammo was S.S.A. Barnes 95 grain TTSX BT TAC load, S.S.A. 110 grain Serria Pro Hunter TAC Load and 110 Hornady Match. i could shoot some okay sub-moa groups with the Barnes and Serria. but not the Hornady. my favorite local toy store always has had 6.8 in stock. Silver State makes 2 loads of each 6.8 round they offer a TAC load and a standard load. which i think is nice to have a little extra housepower if you want it. On the down side ammo cost and more recoil. but this is the only rifle i own that i own without a brake or suppresser.

on the 200 yards golf ball test (i do not remember which bullet) the 6.8 round is the only round i have shot one with that damaged the golf ball. when the golf ball is shot with a 223 or 5.56 FMJ or a 77 MK 262 type round you just a grease ring on the impact side and on the exit side just a small pin hole.

i will let pictures do the talking just do not laugh to hard, lots of mirage and off and on high wind. targets were at 200 and 400 with the 400 yard dope dailed in on best guess. did take a few 300 yard shots just to test the BDC on the scope and it work great for deer size game when just winging it..

IMG_7080.jpg

IMG_7083.jpg

IMG_7084.jpg

IMG_7085.jpg

Edited by RWF
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks, for laughing to yourself, and saying something like i would not have ever post that. there was a lot of wind gust, honest!

anyway i forgot about the range of loaded ammo. it goes from 75 grain to 140 grain ammo. there is even Armor pierceing rounds providing that you can show the correct paper work.

Guest 6.8 AR

I'm still laughing! Looks good to me RWF. Doubt I could do that well.

I shoot the 85 and 95 gr Barnes, and 90 gr TNT's. Little rockets, aren't they?

thanks, yes they are like rockets. there is a picture of it in here some where. i will find it and repost here.

i hard a hard time with the wind gust, i may not mess with too much again til after the 3 gun Nation Pro/Am at the end of Augest. trying to learn how too shoot open.

Why wouldn't you post that?

I hold people who only ever post one hole groups, in the highest of suspicion.

Thanks for sharing, I'm guessing you just got into that rig? Looks awesome. A little fine tuning of the load and calm day and I bet them holes 'll be a lot closer together. :up:

No matter what, when you figure center mass is about 10 inches square, all those shots solved a problem.

Edited by Caster

Caster, thanks it was a my first time at the range with that gun, and was a disappointing day off and on. it has what Stag calls a match trigger and it better than most factory triggers. the 1st stage is long and the 2nd is a tad heavier than i am use to.

i do believe i can get it were i want it with not to much work.