Why do YOU carry a gun?

Guest Shay VanVlymen

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GT_Rat

Personal protection. In all honesty it is unlikely that I will ever have to use it because I don't frequent many places where I would be likely to be threatened but I would rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it.

Guest GlocKingTN
Personal protection. In all honesty it is unlikely that I will ever have to use it because I don't frequent many places where I would be likely to be threatened but I would rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it.

My reason as well^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Guest jackdog

Self defense is why I carry. But it was not a decision that came easily. To carry a fire arm requires a large amount of responsibility and should not be entered into lightly. Plus you are possibly opening yourself up to both criminal and civil prosecution. That being said I think one needs to be sure that there is nothing in is mind that might delay him from using the weapon, if it becomes necessary.

Guest Loaded247

Outside of duty use, my reasons for carry are because I PERSONALLY feel I should take the responsibility for my own safety, as well as the safety of my family.

Guest GlocKingTN
Outside of duty use, my reasons for carry are because I PERSONALLY feel I should take the responsibility for my own safety, as well as the safety of my family.

And family being the most important part in that statement!:)

All my life I have been a very practical person, spending my hard earned cash only on things I really use.

For the first time in my life I decided to spend some cash on an item I hope I never really have to use and a gun was one of the best things I could come up with.

So to expand on my one impractical decision, I figure I may as well carry it with me as a reminder of my diversion.:)

Guest Steelharp

Because it's KEWL!!

Seriously, though... in my main biz, music, I can be in some fairly rough areas at some pretty bad hours. I thought it the responsible thing to do for me and my family.

I carry because the police won't be there BEFORE I need them. Basically saying that they can only come after something has happened.

I had one of those situations yesterday. The next door neighbors alarms was going off. I knew they weren't at home. I had to make a decision, investigate or stay home and wait for the police. After 15 minutes of the alarm going off and the police not showing up I decided to investigate. I walked across the street, looked in the kitchen, saw nothing, walked around back and found a shed "broken in to" and the back door open. I walked back home and called the non emergency number for the police and reported what I had observed. It took maybe another 10 minutes for the police to show up, in the mean time the home owners came home. I told Mr. Homeowner what had happened and he asked if I would go in the house with him (a little bit older and not very fit person) It was at that time that I realized I had made the right decision to carry a weapon.

Should we have waited for the police? Probably, but you know how people are. We walked in and that is when he noticed that the cat was probably the one to set off the alarm.

A couple of seconds later the police showed up. I have to admit. I was scared. I didn't know what I would find in that house. But the ordeal reassured me that I have made the right decision about carrying and that if it comes down to it, I could and would use it.

To protect ourselves and our families and in some cases our neighbors. That is why I carry a gun. That is why I think most people should.

Guest Steelharp

saintsfan... while what you did was noble, the smarter thing probably would have been to convince your neighbor to stay outside with you and wait for LEO's to show. If you had found cause to use your firearm in your neighbor's house, and (assuming) you're not a LEO, you probably would be facing some very stiff charges right now. Just my .02.

I love my life.

I don't want my fiance to be a widow before we are even married.

I don't want her to be taken from me at gunpoint and raped.

I don't want to become a vegetable because I wouldn't give some thug my wallet or car and they decide to sever my spinal cord with a bullet.

I don't want to die before my parents do, especially not because someone killed me on purpose. I can't handle the thought of my mom being at my funeral.

In short, personal protection, and protection of the loved ones and friends with me.

Guest targetpistol

i have been thinking of getting a permit to carry.most people tell me that you need to be responsible and i think that might be the under statement of the day.

• Administrator
1.It's my right to do so. 2. I don't rely on others to take care of me. No matter how many good cops are out there and how good their intentions are, they won't always be there when I need them.

Put me down for what he said.

1. I own and carry firearms in order to end any un-avoidable deadly confrontation which arises, and have a high likelihood of survival for myself and my family... Whether it be a thug invading my home, a mugger in an alley, or any other form of SHTF.

2. I enjoy plinking and target-practicing for fun... it is a very satisfying recreation.

3. To be able to, if necessary, provide food for my family through hunting game... and to protect our small garden plot from varmints & large pests.

Even just the 2nd reason is good enough for me to warrant keeping firearms... but the first and third are essential, when planning for the worst-case scenario, and cannot be truly effective without the competence gained through #2.

I love my life.

I don't want my fiance to be a widow before we are even married.

I don't want her to be taken from me at gunpoint and raped.

I don't want to become a vegetable because I wouldn't give some thug my wallet or car and they decide to sever my spinal cord with a bullet.

I don't want to die before my parents do, especially not because someone killed me on purpose. I can't handle the thought of my mom being at my funeral.

In short, personal protection, and protection of the loved ones and friends with me.

All of the above. My mother having to attend my memorial service isn't an idea I like to dwell on.

saintsfan... while what you did was noble, the smarter thing probably would have been to convince your neighbor to stay outside with you and wait for LEO's to show. If you had found cause to use your firearm in your neighbor's house, and (assuming) you're not a LEO, you probably would be facing some very stiff charges right now. Just my .02.

Steel,

Yeah, looking back, I know we should have waited for the cops, but then again, I don't think I could have waited if it were my house. I am not LE but then again, would I not have the right to defend myself in my neighbors house provided I am in there with his permission?

I am in no way saying that I wouldn't be facing charges, I am just wondering about the "legality" under these specific circumstances. I know if we were sitting down watching a ball game and some one broke in, I would have the right to do what I need to do, I am more concerned about under this case scenario.

OK, I'm confused. The cat set off the alarm, but it looked like there had been a break in?

It really would have been better to have waited. If you neighbor didn't have a gun and someone had been in the house he was a serious liability. He probably would be one if he had a gun.

On one occasion I had to do a house clearing without backup. Not very pleasant. Fortunately the home was empty.

A couple of points here. First, no matter how much you like your neighbor, or your own possessions at your house, you don't provoke a confrontation with a BG if you don't have to.

Second, it took the normal 30 minutes or so for the cops to get there. You had better have a way to protect yourself during the waiting time if there is a threat to you or your family.

Yeah mars, for all intents and purposes it appeared to be a "break in." They had a shed in the back yard that appeared to be "ransacked" and had the door broken open on it. A piece of the door was laying in the yard. The inner back door was open but the outer door was closed. (Had I actually put my hand on that door and tried to open it I would have known it wasn't a break in because that door was still locked) The garage was opened and neither my wife nor myself remembered it being open when we came home about 30 minutes prior to the alarm going off. One of their cars was in the garage but the other one wasn't. It just didn't "look" right.

After the home owner came home and we looked at it, he remembered that the back door can be "mostly" closed in order to set the alarm but still have enough that the cat could force it open if it wanted to.

Everyone is right though, we should have waited, and like I said, even calling the NON EMERGENCY NUMBER as I didn't think this was going to be a case where the police needed to leave a higher priority call it only took about 10 to 15 minutes TOTAL for the police to arrive.

Yeah, that response time really impressed me. It was Saturday Evening at about 7:30 that this happened. I figured the response time was going to be way enormous. When it wasn't We were all shocked. At that time, I programmed the non-emergency number into my phone. I figured, if they were that fast, I would try them in an actual emergency and see what happens (call both basically.)