I have an old winchester model 70 in 220 swift it was our coyote gun on the farm. I have not really shot it a lot because ammo was harder to find and fairly high for what I would use it for. I was looking around on some sites and ran across a guy looking for something I had and had a 220 swift die set that he was using as trade bait, so I bit. I got the dies today and I got a better deal than I thought as it had the trimmer and shell holder as well. My question is has anyone reloaded this round? Do the reloads perform that much better than the factory stuff? Being that it is a hotter round does it affect the amount of reloads you can get out of the brass? I can't decide if I should reload 200 or not. I don't think that reloading is going to make me shoot the rifle a ton more but I might enjoy it more with my own loads.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago loaded for a pre64 Model 70 220 Swift. No chrono back then so we just used middle of the road book loads; the woodchucks and crows didn't notice a difference. If you firewall your loads brass life will be shorter. If you load sensible and neck size then brass life will be comparable to any other centerfire bottleneck rifle round. Would love to see pics of that 70!

Found out that one of my shooting buddies has a 220 and reloads for it. I have shot his reloads in other guns so I am confident in his loads. He offered to reload for me so I am going to go that route. I guess I will have to sell the dies I got or give them to him. Thanks for the info on the 220. This thread can be closed, thanks.