USDA Suggests Food Stamp Parties and Games to Increase Participation

What should happen is reduce the amount of benefits by 25% each year. Set a maximum number of years they can receive benefits in their life, say 60 months total. If they choose to use them at 18 then they are out of luck after that. If you are. If you are not here legally you receive ZERO benefits no matter the circumstances.

Everyone has had at least one time in their lives where benefits would have helped them. Problem is those people have a hard time getting them because of those who use the programs long term even when they may not need them.

And another big problem is if you qualify for one program that generally qualifies you for the rest. People should have a cap on how much they can receive rather than be given thousands of dollars of assistance between all the programs.

I know it is an invasion of privacy to some but two random drug tests a year should be performed to check for illegal substances. If they are receiving public funds they should not be able to use them to commit a crime. And for those who think it is an invasion of privacy, you don't have to agree to take the drug tests it we don't have to agree to fund your illegal activity.

And finally, make it mandatory that the card holder be present for all purchases. As it stands right now in Tennessee it is against the rules for a retailer to ask for ID when someone uses an EBT card. And because of this there are a lot of people sellin their benefits.

Dolomite

With all due respect, I'm totally against any sort of social welfare paid for by the tax payer, period. It diminishes the ability of parents to provide for their own families.

Our founding founders and government grappled with this same question many times. Many war veteran hero's gave their last measure of self to our country and left their families destitute by their sacrifice. Some leaders and a part of Congress wanted to give war widows and their children some relief in the form of a very small pension. When up for a vote in Congress it was re-soundly defeated. However noble and compassionate the cause, they realized it was immoral to seize another mans labor to distribute it to another.

Sure, many people have needed a helping hand sometime in their lives. Prior to FDR and LBJ you had family, church, neighbors and friends to temporally assist during rough times. It appears it worked well, and society was much more civil and appreciative for it.

I don't want to parse words but, what really gets my goat these days...

I worked 42 years in my life and paid tens of thousands of dollars into my Federal retirement, and they call it my benefit.

When you receive food stamps, Section 8, welfare, etc., it's called an ENTITLEMENT, go figure?

Just the way I look at the world.

• Like 2

With all due respect, I'm totally against any sort of social welfare paid for by the tax payer, period. It diminishes the ability of parents to provide for their own families.

Our founding founders and government grappled with this same question many times. Many war veteran hero's gave their last measure of self to our country and left their families destitute by their sacrifice. Some leaders and a part of Congress wanted to give war widows and their children some relief in the form of a very small pension. When up for a vote in Congress it was re-soundly defeated. However noble and compassionate the cause, they realized it was immoral to seize another mans labor to distribute it to another.

Sure, many people have needed a helping hand sometime in their lives. Prior to FDR and LBJ you had family, church, neighbors and friends to temporally assist during rough times. It appears it worked well, and society was much more civil and appreciative for it.

I don't want to parse words but, what really gets my goat these days...

I worked 42 years in my life and paid tens of thousands of dollars into my Federal retirement, and they call it my benefit.

When you receive food stamps, Section 8, welfare, etc., it's called an ENTITLEMENT, go figure?

Just the way I look at the world.

AMEN!!!

I used to believe in a graduated program and step them down every year, but I am pretty much completely opposed now. Over the past few years, I have been in school, which is primarily located in Kansas City. The school is in a rough area with much government housing. During breaks from class, we would go to the 7-11 to get coffee and whatever. It was all the time that I would encounter people (not my classmates) literally buying Slurpees and ice cream with food stamp cards. First off, you should not be allowed to use food stamps at the 7-11 when there is a discount grocery store around the corner. Secondly, if you are using your food stamps to buy slurpees, you're obviously are not starving.

Second example was in Walmart with a hispanic lady in front of me. She had about five items including some hygene products, clothing, cheese, and maybe one piece of fruit. The cashier rang it all up, and she tried to pay with everything with the food stamp card. She did not understand why the card would not pay for her clothes. When the cashier finally explained it to her, she purchased the cheese and whatever the other food item was with the card. To pay for the other items, she pulled out a wad of cash like I had never seen before (I'm a broke student) to peel off a twenty to handle the rest. Her wad of cash was probably large enough to handle my living expenses for a semester; I am certain that, at that time, she really did not need assistance for food.

With other examples like I have mentioned above, I have decided that if it is really necessary for such programs to exist, we should switch to only handing out food. By food, I mean rice and beans and maybe some type of canned meat once a week, but I guess the rub lies in that it is easier to buy a vote with a slurpee than a cup of rice.

• Like 1