Four Tennessee men face charges in gun sales

Ok now whats the difference between someone selling or trading firearms in a private sale and trading them in or selling them to a gunshop? Feds get their cut from deals with a shop,and if so is that all there is?

It’s about control; not money. The Feds don’t get any money from a legal transfer. If sales go through dealers the Feds have control and hold the dealers accountable. Last year 13K transfers were denied and 356 stolen guns identified. (in this state)

I’m not trying to justify it; just saying it is what it is.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 1

It’s about control; not money. The Feds don’t get any money from a legal transfer. If sales go through dealers the Feds have control and hold the dealers accountable. Last year 13K transfers were denied and 356 stolen guns identified. (in this state)

Makes sense I guess

Who gets the $10 fee I pay everytime I am background checked?

I see. I was thinking FBI for some reason. Thanks.

Nope, NICS is "free", paid for with income tax (and borrowing 40 cents per dollar of spending).

TN is charging you a state tax for putting TICS on top of it. Oh wait ... a "fee".

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Grout

OK,does not sound like who I thought he might be.I was a regular at every gun show in Chatt. for about 22 years.I quit going back in 07 so I'm sure there are some new "regulars" now.I went to the Camp Jordan show a few weeks back saw a few faces I remembered but not many.

• 8 months later...

Little update: Not bad for a 20 count indictment. Guess this shows that as long as you are doing it as a hobby, you should be protected. 

Only 1 Guilty Count Returned In Gun Case Against Athens, Tn., Brothers

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Federal Court jury in Chattanooga on Wednesday morning returned only one guilty verdict against two Athens, Tn., brothers charged with selling guns without a license.

Carl Monroe was found guilty of selling guns to a felon. A government confidential information had told the jury he bought weapons from Carl Monroe while admitting to him he was a felon.

All charges against Richard Monroe were returned as not guilty.

The brothers had maintained they dealt in weapons, but only as a hobby.

Edited by cardia10

Little update: Not bad for a 20 count indictment. Guess this shows that as long as you are doing it as a hobby, you should be protected.

One brother is headed to prison and the other has a mountain of legal debt. I don’t see that as a win, and I certainly don’t see this as a message that you are protected from anything.

As much as gun sales have become an issue I expect a few people to made examples of.

Trying to buy an Nfa item is a pretty bad plan! What a maroon

And 323 guns in 4 years? Wow. I

I only sell when the main safe and overflow safe are bursting and I' have to make room and free up cash for new toys - like an Ohio ordnance 1918 BAR I picked up last week!

ugaru9yg.jpg

Do like I do just buy another safe. Nice weapon you bought as well....

Trying to buy an Nfa item is a pretty bad plan! What a maroon

And 323 guns in 4 years? Wow. I

I only sell when the main safe and overflow safe are bursting and I' have to make room and free up cash for new toys - like an Ohio ordnance 1918 BAR I picked up last week!

ugaru9yg.jpg

Guest carter

thought these guys sounded familiar... remember one of them from a Murfreesboro gun show years ago...even had this i found lol... both should be charged...I think if you have a business card...you are intern running a business, don't ya think.

image_zps3c44b0d2.jpeg

Edited by carter

thought these guys sounded familiar... remember one of them from a Murfreesboro gun show years ago...even had this i found lol... both should be charged...I think if you have a business card...you are intern running a business, don't ya think.

image_zps3c44b0d2.jpeg

I agree, business card means you are in Business and it is no longer just for fun. I remember theses guys from some shows. They were a part of the usual sleaze ring at the shows. There are plenty more of those type of guys at the shows. I refuse to buy or to sell to the gun flipping guys. I do not want to get my name associated with them.