M14 NM. I don't know much about them. Help me out, please.

Guest 6.8 AR

Guest 6.8 AR

How do they stack up with a Garand? Or an M1A?

A friend texted me about one for sale or trade, yesterday. I have been wanting a Garand from CMP

for a while, but haven't done it for one reason or another, and I just keep on putting it off. All I could find

was from Wiki, and a bunch of stupid arguments on other forums about their illegality, which I know better

than that.

From what I gather, they are glass bedded, highly accurized rifles. Is that right? I know the caliber will reach

out and touch to 500-600 yards, much better than my eyesight, and if I get this one or another, it will more

likely be a safe queen, after a few rounds go through it. Face it, I'm a hoarder.

Are these guns really worth the 1500-3500 bucks I've seen them priced at? This one is at the lower end and

was built in 2000. Stainless barrel. Stock looks real nice. Has a Barska large scope 6-24x44 on it.

Anything in particular I need to know about these guns?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 6.8 AR

Yeh, I think that's what it is. Thanks, David. I'm going to do some trading with this guy, I think.

I may still go for a Garand, also, one of these days.

Depends who built it - all NM's are not equal.

Does the receiver have a rear lug? Has the gas system been unitized? If those two = yes, then it is definitely worth a look. ]

Barrel life for match shooters is in the neighborhood of 5000 rounds. If it has had that many through it, doesn't mean it is worn out, just worn out for match purposes. Replacing the barrel isn't that big a deal if you know a smith that knows what he is doing with these.

Worth? Depends. A rear lugged receiver built up with GI parts by a smith I respect is easily worth 2500. I'd happily (well, when I was employed) pay above that for a nice new Krieger barrel.

Can they shoot? Man, like a house afire. You can take it waaay past 600 yards with good ammo. I've pulled targets for a guy that kept putting them through the spotter peg from 300 yards.

Guest 6.8 AR

This one allegedly has had a couple hundred rounds through it. Thanks, Mark. I'm going to do some more homework.

I'll finally get to see this particular gun tomorrow, and take some notes. :D

a M14 NM hmm sure it's not a M1A NM? a long time ago a M14 that had all the National Match parts was not a M14 but a M21 or XM-21 same thing. most sites say max effective range about 800 yards. I promise you if it is a true National Match M21 set-up then you/can be effective to 1000.

what gets me if it is what you say then why did someone put a Barska scope on it!

Guest m14man

its a m1a nm had one probably a factory springfield should have a dougles medium weight barrell mark nm (air guage), bedded stock,, front lugged receiver,,(all military are front lug only for the record) nm trigger and front sight post, plus hooded rear sight with more elevation and windage clicks than normal. could have a fat stock or standard stock,rear lugged receivers in a springfield are only on super matches. could also be another brand receiver if its (like an armscor, lrb, fulton, smith receiver) it will be more. i wouldnt give more than 1400-1600 depending on quality to a factory springfield. accuracy on one is between 2 and 1 moa at 100yds, although a good smith and shooter can get much better, but usualy no better than .75 moa average. they are very hard to mount scopes to,sadlack and a few others are the only ones id use. give me a call if you need to know anything else. its not an m14 for the record they made some nm and then made some m21 but none were old because its after the nfa ban on anything that was once a machingun will always be a machine gun, so no cmp for the m14. springfield makes a m21 and a m25 white feather(discontinued)to. look at getting a loaded springer and puting it in a diffrent stock and you could get the same results for same price more custom tho. check out www.m14tfl.com for more info. the more gi parts the better. look at the bolt the op rod the barrell the sights the trigger pack and right down any leters you see. like trw,h&r,wn,own,brg. those will be the gi manufacture if its just a number its a springfield part.

Edited by m14man
Guest 6.8 AR

DSC00159.JPG

Yeh, it's a M1A NM. I just brought it in the house. Very pleased. It came with the heavy scope mount, 200 rds of ammo and

5 mags. One of these days I will get to shoot this cannon.

Guest m14man

what kind of mags? if they are gi they can be worth alot themselves.look on the sides of the mags for letters stamped into it .if thats a springfield scope mount you might want to change it lots of complants on them

Guest 6.8 AR

Randy, I'll have to look closer at the mags. They probably aren't, but they did look like they will suffice. That mount is the

expensive one. I stopped by at D&T Arms on the way back home. They said the current price on that mount was about $250.

They aslo made me feel better about my trade. Evidently I did a trade right for once.

Guest m14man

sweet, if it gives you problems i have a sadlak mount im not using and i now of a very good mount the canadians made but it replaces the rear sights but it is an amazing mount. so tough you can carry the gun with it and not knock it out of whack.

Guest 6.8 AR

Mark, I'll always be looking for some mags. I'd appreciate it. Caster, I must have been on another planet. :D

David, I will be calling you.