My son Christopher

… has made a difference in his life and the lives of his family.

Picture768.jpg

It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything in TGO, but I had to share this with the community.

Picture481.jpg

On February 25, 2012 Christopher (he’s the one in glasses in the pictures) reported for his first day in the Music City Young Marines. At the end of that short four hour drill he said, “I want to quit. I can’t do this.†He was in tears and at 12 years old weighed 175 lbs at 5’7 tall. On May 19, 2012 he marched across the parade deck weighing 155 lbs, for four consecutive weeks he held the billet of, and graduated as, third squad leader, and was confident of himself and what he can do. He turned 13 two weeks ago and he’s very cocky and sure of himself. I’m starting to learn that having a teenager can be pain.

Picture1012.jpg

The day he graduated he was out of his rack and dressed at 5AM. He was extremely impatient in waiting for the rest of us to wake up. The ceremony was full of pride and awesome to watch and at the end of event he and three others were meritoriously promoted to Private First Class. The following week he and three others were tapped to be part of the Music City Young Marines Silent Drill Team. Out of the four, only he and the recruit guide are left. He and PFC Loren Smith were also selected to perform the wreath laying ceremony at the Veterans Cemetery on McCrory Lane the Sunday before Memorial Day.

Picture733.jpg

Picture867.jpg

To say I’m proud of Christopher and his accomplishments is an understatement. We wouldn’t let him give up on himself and we worked hard with him in all aspects of becoming a Young Marine. We exercised and ran with him (and still run with him a mile and a half every other day), we schooled him in ways of the Marine Corps, and every day he practices drill with his Mosin Nagant. He studies his Young Marine Guidebook and I know that soon he’ll be able to quote it from cover to cover.

Picture846.jpg

Picture571.jpg

Last week he dropped the bomb on his mother and me, though I saw it coming. He said that he wants to join the Corps and become a K9 handler. It’s all on his self-imposed ten-year plan to become a veterinarian. He’s deadly serious about everything concerning the Young Marines and helping animals.

But his biggest obstacle is still to come. This July 16th, he and the majority of his platoon will board a bus for a three day stay at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island. It’s their summer camp.

On the agenda is rappelling, visiting the K9 corps (he’s excited about that), touring MCAS Beaufort, running the obstacle course, visiting the rifle range (and maybe firing a magazine’s worth of 5.56), visiting the Marine Corps Museum on the Island, bowling, and getting a movie in. In the between time they’ll PT, drill, and eat every meal in a recruit mess hall. I’m excited for him, and a little envious that parents are allowed to come along. There was a big mess with a parent three years ago that ruined it for the rest of us.

The platoon will leave on the 16th at 4AM and they’ll arrive home on the 20th in between 6 and 8PM. They will leave in their inspection cammies and will return in their Charlie uniforms.

Picture893.jpg

The trip is costly and though we have Christopher’s costs in hand, others in the platoon don’t. Since the end of May the Music City Young Marines have held numerous bake sales, and a Sunday Brunch fundraiser to pay for their trip to the Island.

On June 30, 2012 at Belmont Church, starting at 5PM, they will hold their last fundraiser of the season. It will be a spaghetti supper/silent auction. Any TGO member that has $6 to spend on good chow and time to visit with the future of the Marines and of our community is welcome to come by. Personally, I hope to see any of there. On behalf of YM PFC McKinney and myself, thank you and Semper Fi!

Picture764.jpg

Edited by jgm219
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest adamoxtwo

Congrats I'm sure that as much as his confidence has grown it shadows in comparison to your pride in him. Congrats and enjoy it!

Awwhh.. I know how you feel.. when you talk about your son and what he has done.. you get all teary eyed and swell up with pride:))

And he certainly looks very handsome in his uniform.

I was not aware that they had this program.. I did know about the ROTC in Highschool..but what an idea;)

Congrats on raising a very handsome, responsible young man.!!

Tell him we are proud of him

I know how proud you must be! Congrats.

:D I don't think I could be prouder of him. He's come so far in the four months since he started and he has high ambitions. He says he won't rest until he makes YM Sergeant Major.

:panic: :panic: There's a kid in the Oreilly parking lot with a gun :panic: :panic:

That's awesome. Future defender of lazy armchair warriors like me. :usa:

lol The group did get a few odd stares that day. There were ten Young Marines drilling with M1s, but the majority of people gave support and well wishes to them. They're all a great bunch of kids. :usa:

Congrats I'm sure that as much as his confidence has grown it shadows in comparison to your pride in him. Congrats and enjoy it!

Thank you! When he came to us saying he wanted to be a Young Marine we were shocked, but we told him that come what may, he had to see it through. He did that and knows that hard work bears sweet rewards.

Awwhh.. I know how you feel.. when you talk about your son and what he has done.. you get all teary eyed and swell up with pride:))

And he certainly looks very handsome in his uniform.

I was not aware that they had this program.. I did know about the ROTC in Highschool..but what an idea;)

Congrats on raising a very handsome, responsible young man.!!

Tell him we are proud of him

Thank you so much, Dolomite's B&C!

You really can't help that feeling, can you? I was at the front taking pics when he got pulled from formation for meritorious promotion. My sister in law was in the back and she immediately told my wife, "Uh-oh. Jason's not going to make it." I started tearing up really bad. The look of pride on Chris' face was something to behold once they began reading the promotion certificate.

The Young Marine program is close to 40 years old, I think. It's open to kids 8 to 18, as long as they haven't yet graduated. It's a great program and it's hard. At least the Music City Young Marines is. It's run by an old school Marine infantryman and he trains 'em up hard, but never forgets that at the end of the day they're still kids. It's done Chris a world of good.

Edited by jgm219

Congrats to you and your son keep supporting him in his efforts.

Thank you, K. He's worked hard for everything he's achieved and supporting him is second to none. The downside to the Young Marines is that our soon to be nine year old daugher wants to join. She's the one saluting in the picture of all of us. She's a little danger girl and pretty tough, but we told her to wait until she's ten. lol

Edited by jgm219

Way to go Christopher!

Sounds like he's learned some great life lessons over the last few months.

You have a right to be very proud of him!

Awesome job.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the story.

He says thank you. And thank you for reading about him. He's come a long way and he's smart enough to see that he has further to go. At least he admits that much. :-)

What an amazing thing! You deserve to be proud and so does your son. patriot.gif

I was impressed that he made it to graduation and more so when he was promoted. He's a great kid and I couldn't have asked for a better son.

Congrats! It's great to see future Devil Dogs with a plan. A travel tip for the island: Buy "skin so soft" and thin with alcohol in a small spray bottle(pocket size). It's a little greasy but it will drown the sand fleas. Otherwise, "Stand still and don't move, cause they have to eat too!" Oh, the memories!

Semper Fi, MikePapa, and thank your father for his service for me, please. :usa:

My father passed on December 31, 1999. He was a Marine his whole life. It helped define him. He served in the 3rd Marine Division on Guam. His oldest brother was with the 6th Division on Okinawa and his older brother 5th Division on Iwo. All three survived. All were very proud of their service.

My father passed on December 31, 1999. He was a Marine his whole life. It helped define him. He served in the 3rd Marine Division on Guam. His oldest brother was with the 6th Division on Okinawa and his older brother 5th Division on Iwo. All three survived. All were very proud of their service.

I'm sorry to hear about your father, Mike. All three brothers in the Marine Corps. Now that's a Marine family. Every Marine makes history, but your father and uncles served during legendary times. I just finished watching Falgs of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima with my son. I've seen the movies three times each and each time it's humbling.

Congrats! It's great to see future Devil Dogs with a plan. A travel tip for the island: Buy "skin so soft" and thin with alcohol in a small spray bottle(pocket size). It's a little greasy but it will drown the sand fleas. Otherwise, "Stand still and don't move, cause they have to eat too!" Oh, the memories!

lmao You're too right. My drill instructors made us use that stuff at BWT and when I came home my legs and back were a sea of sand flea bite marks. Of course, my platoon was pitted... a lot. I told my son, "beware the pit." Of course I laughed after saying it and the look of fear on his face was priceless. But hey, recruits are a sand flea's favorite meal. :yum:

Chris is nervous, but that's a good thing. I've never met anyone that went to PI in a recruit capacity that wasn't nervous. Overall, he'll be fine. He's overcome so much so far and he can overcome this. I've told him to believe in himself as much as his mother and I do.