Ported barrel

Guest benchpresspower

Guest benchpresspower

Haven't posted in a very long time but I wanted to ask something. My carry weapon is a Glock 21, big yes but my bear paw hands fit it perfectly. I was considering getting a ported barrel for it however I'm curious, would this be a decent modification for it given its primary use is self defense or should I stay with the stock barrel?

Ported barrels are not a good idea on a self-defense handgun. The burning gasses are generally directed upward and could cause injury if the handgun is fired from a retention position close in to the body. In addition more of the muzzle flash than normal is sent into the line of sight. How might that effect your vision for a follow-up shot or threat identification during a low light encounter?

Ports are cool for reducing muzzle rise on large caliber hunting handguns or race guns. I would recommend against them on a carry gun.

I have a 21c and love it (and yes I use it for self defense and carry). It's extremely accurate, extremely reliable (never had a jam or misfire after countless rounds). It's easier to shoot at night than a non c glock 21 IMO, the blast is in a V away from the sight plane and not in a big fireball at the end of the muzzle. The retention position problem is solved by training yourself to cant the gun 45*.

Great gun lots of fun to shoot, helps significantly to keep muzzle flip to a minimum.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.