Glock Safety

Guest jackdog

A Glock is less safe than a locked'n'loaded 1911 with the saftey off?

BTW, is it possible for a de-cocked, chambered 1911 with the saftey off to fire if enough force is placed on the hammer like the Colt SAAs?

~Archi

I consider a cocked and unlocked 1911 to be about the same in safety to a Glock as long as the owner hasn't lightened the 1911 trigger. But you can't put the Glock into a safer mode. It's always ready and that can be either a plus or a minus.

Most 1911s have a half-cock. While not intended as a drop safety, it does function in that mode in guns earlier than the Series 80, that has a firing pin safety. So, for many 1911s it is possible for a fully de-cocked weapon to go off if sufficient force is applied to the hammer. I would expect a gun designed in the 1980s to improve on that, and Series 80 guns actually did fix the problem.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LiLBucket

Alright, the East TN TGO meet and make boom is on for sure now!! This thread has got me wanting to test drive some weapons!!

Archi can I test drive your car???!!!:P .........:D:drool:

427cobra.jpg

Guest Ramtough47

Don't want to step on anyone toes but its this simple....DON'T PUT YOUR FINGER ON THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU HAVE MADE THE DECSION TO SHOOT! This is basic firearm safety.

As far a decocker goes i would perfer glock NOT to have one.Nearly every person i have seen with a gun with a decocker[under pressure] has had a difficult time getting gun into action.Now if you handle your gun daily and practice with it...no problem....most people won't.

In the world of fighting pistols Glock[in my opinion] is the best choice.They won't let you down.

I agree! Having said that, I would not carry a Glock w/ 3.5 pound trigger set up for competition. By the same token, I wouldn't carry a 1911 w/ 3 lb comp trigger. The 5lb factory trigger is just fine and will work as advertised. Fast first shot and quick trigger reset, what else could you ask for?

Putting a heavier trigger in the Glock (8lb/12lb New York triggers) doesn't fix anything. It is simply a liability/let's cover our butts move by administrators (who are probably not shooters). It's no different than making a DA/SA revolver into a DOA. This was done by some PDs in the past... didn't work.

Equipment is a one time expense, training is on-going. One is cheap and the other requires a COMMITMENT to continuing work and spending money. Which do you thing the average admin type would choose?

I understand Mars' argument to a degree and would agree that there is a minimum for a trigger on a carry gun. We just don't agree on where to draw the line. The purpose of a defensive pistol is to defend oneself and others. The gun should be set up so that the shooter can hit the target if he/she must use the gun. Remember, we also responsible for the bullets that miss our intended target too. If you choose a DA/SA, SA, striker fired pistol or DA revolver, it will still come down to training and experience (and probably some luck). Maybe we're spending too much time worrying about equipment and not enough on things that are more important like awareness, tactics, and training. Unfortunately, all those things are more expensive and require more work to get and maintain. Maybe that is the real problem, hmm....... could it be that too many people (police and just us regular joes) prefer the quick/cheap/easy "fix" to a real examination of the problem at hand? If I have my finger on the trigger and am: holstering my pistol or running over uneven ground (you name your own situation) and something happens (I fall down/I am startled/someone screams at me), do you think it will matter what type the gun is? Just something to think about.

Just a question, since I have never owned a Glock... What is the consensus on installing a NY-1 trigger spring in conjunction with a 3.5# connector? I have 'heard' that this setup results in a smoother trigger pull, with little reduction in pull weight. What about a NY-2 with a 3.5# connector?

If I owned a Glock... this would (probably) be the first thing that I would do*, to improve the (IMHO) spongy, creepy factory pull. I personally don't have a problem with a long trigger pull, so long as it is steady and breaks clean.

*after checking myself into a psych ward

I tried a pistol w/ that set up. It had a snappier trigger return and slightly less take-up, but I couldn't tell much difference. One of those "princess and the pea" things. I prefer the stock set up.

Glocks may not be for you. However, Glocks are like any other pistol. You have to work to become familiar w/ the gun/trigger. Modifications can also be made to S&W DA revolvers, but just shooting the gun will smooth up the action and help you get familiar w/ it (avoiding screwing around w/ the gun).

Just my opinion...

Guest Archimedes

Bucket, just keep it under 150.

I've never used a firearm with a de-cocker, so I really can't input there.

I agree that it's a bad idea to make too many modifications to a handgun that may one day be needed to save a life.

~Archi

Sorry guys, but I think one of you owes me a new keyboard. I laughed so hard I spit coke on it.

I spent much of the day in meetings over at the VA including some teleconferencing with folks up in DC.

During one break, I heard one of the DC guys mention "those pain in the ass Glock people who go around talking stupid about keeping your finger off of the trigger instead of getting a decent gun." :D

His words - not mine. Don't shoot the messenger.

Always having good firearms safety practices are an ideal, but a pipe dream. It doesn't happen in real life. A good gun can compensate for minor brain-farts before it requires surgery.

But I'm beating a dead horse. You get it or you don't.

And in the circles I run in, the Glock is not considered a "fighting pistol". It's just an adequate cheaper compromise for a good handgun.

I'll post this in the hope that it might help someone on the board. The guy who taught me most of what I know about shooting and handguns (not that it's that much in my case, but that's my fault not his) also taught me about what he calls "stacking".

We all know the 4 rules of gun safety (all guns are loaded, never cover anything you aren't willing to destroy, finger off trigger until you're ready to fire, and know your target and backstop). If you violate one rule, you will make yourself look stupid (ND) but no one will get hurt. Violate two rules and somebody's gonna get hurt or killed. Thus the term "stacking". It doesn't matter who you are, how good you are, or what kind of gun you carry, this still applies. Do people cover each other w/ finger on trigger in the heat of whatever might be going on? Yes, they do... but it still requires a trigger PULL even in this situation. Do police/military/everyone else get shot by their own sometimes? You know they do. Don't think that's a gun problem, but I may be wrong. You tell me.:D

I don't want to hurt your feelings, but most of us out here in flyover country don't put much stock in anything coming out of DC. :drool:

I understand that. :P

We had a dozen people in three time zones and countries. Median age around 45 I'd say. Mostly combat military (current or retired) but some active LE. I told them about the Glock feud here and got their input. All of us have owned Glocks; some of us carried them at one time. Current collective Glock ownership of the group - one - and it stays in a nightstand.

Tungsten, we need a dead horse emoticon. :D

Guest LiLBucket
Bucket, just keep it under 150.

[Napolean Dynamite voice on] Yessssssssssss [Napolean Dynamite voice off]

Glock Safety thread,

.......:D ..........

Actually, I'm learning quite a bit here really! Honest!

Guest LegalRaptor

I have followed this thread with interest. I have a G19, carry an M&Pc .40. Mostly, I shoot the G19 in my local shooting league (not ready for the bigtime in that department!) The best thing I see about this debate is the courtesy displayed by everyone! I've seen arguments on other forums that devolved into embarrassing name calling or worse, but the level of civility here is great! I know I haven't added anything to the topic, but you guys are far more knowledgeable than me, so I'll just continue to lurk.;)

hahahah Hey Jackdog...are your Glocks dishwasher safe?

Legal Raptor...ya know..we're all polite because we know the other guy is armed!:eek:

J/K.

all of us here realize that ugliness is NOT beneficial to the board, the members here or ourselves. Plus, I think we enjoy the debate for the sake of knowledge..not to hammer a point home.

It helps!

Tupperware party= Glock convention. :rolleyes:

hows that for name calling?

bwaaaahahahahahahahahah

Guest jackdog

I really prefer the car wash hand units,really gets her clean, and bouncing it off the concrete walls and floor, gives me a kinda abuse test as well.