Urban Sniper 10/22

I wonder how far it went.

Might like it, want to keep riding.

Old joke:

Feller can't break dog from peeing on carpet. Friend says, next time that happens, throw him out the window, he'll catch on.

Sees friend in a couple of weeks, asks about the dog prob: owner says, oh works great -- now he pees on the carpet and then jumps out the window!

- OS

Why would someone put together a firearm that has only minimal similarities between it and the mass produced counterpart? I dunno, just bonkers I guess.

If that was a response to my query, maybe I wasn't clear in what I was asking. I wasn't intending to call into question why you would build such a rifle and I'm sorry if that is the way it came across. What I intended to ask was: what are the benefits to starting with a 10/22 for such a build rather than simply ordering a serial numbered receiver along with all the other parts (if that is possible) and building entirely from scratch?

Edited by JAB

No offense taken and I was just kidding. I can't see any good reason to buy a 10/22 first. I just happen to have several. You can buy everything to build a 10/22 without having to buy a 10/22. Although I can't remember seeing anyone making a non-Ruger 10/22 bolt but someone must be building them. An this rifle's case you don't need to buy anything made by Ruger to make this rifle. The receiver has its own bolt, trigger groups are made by many or buy a Ruger one from Brownells or MidwayUSA - I forget.

Guest motonut

That is a nice looking rifle. Having no experience whatsoever with custom builds, I hope you won't mind my asking you, Dolomite and some of the other folks a question:

If you are going to replace the stock, barrel and receiver - and I know that some folks also replace the trigger group and many (most) other internals, as well - doesn't that mean there is really nothing of the original 10/22 left? What I am wondering is, why buy a 10/22 in the first place rather than simply building the same custom rifle 'from scratch' by ordering pretty much the same parts and putting them together? Please don't think I am criticizing or anything - I honestly have no idea, have often wondered this very thing and would really like to know. Is the 'host' 10/22 simply for the serial number? Is that the only way to get a serial number for a .22 (as in, at least the way I understand it, when you build an AR you can order just a lower that has the serial number)?

Why would someone put together a firearm that has only minimal similarities between it and the mass produced counterpart? I dunno, just bonkers I guess.

Just ask the folks that build a V-twin custom motorcycle and then say they ride a Harley (with not a Harley bit on it). Oh well, each to their own.

I actually think the OP's 10/22 is cool and have considered doing the same thing (little shorter barrel though, would like it to fit in the safe).

No offense taken and I was just kidding. I can't see any good reason to buy a 10/22 first. I just happen to have several. You can buy everything to build a 10/22 without having to buy a 10/22. Although I can't remember seeing anyone making a non-Ruger 10/22 bolt but someone must be building them. An this rifle's case you don't need to buy anything made by Ruger to make this rifle. The receiver has its own bolt, trigger groups are made by many or buy a Ruger one from Brownells or MidwayUSA - I forget.

Thanks. That is what I was wondering.

So, for those guys who need to 'clear' all of their gun purchases through a significant other, they could do a project like this and, with a minimal investment in a small part here or there, pretty much build a 'standard' 10/22 from the original Ruger take-offs. Something like, "New gun? What - you mean this thing? Naw, that's the 10/22 I bought a couple of months ago. I just customized it a little with a few aftermarket parts. Then where did that other 10/22 come from? Oh, I just put it together from some spare parts I had laying around."

Edited by JAB